PDA

View Full Version : mba owners who got 2011 mbp

tim100
Mar 14, 2011, 06:39 AM
i picked up a 15 i7 mbp. i have been using a mba since launch. it has been hard to go back to a bigger machine. it also runs alot hotter and is loud.

the bigger screen is great and the backlit keyboard.

anyone other mba owners pick up a 2011 mbp?

Psilocybin
Mar 14, 2011, 07:03 AM
pointless...it will sit there and gather dust and spider webs...or be used as a door stop

tim100
Mar 14, 2011, 08:39 AM
pointless...it will sit there and gather dust and spider webs...or be used as a door stop

anyone else see the mba as a primary machine?

Artofilm
Mar 14, 2011, 08:43 AM
I'm currently using my MBA as my primary. Based on space, I can't use my MacPro right now. I use the MBA for Final Cut HD videos and Photoshop. (sometimes at the same time)

iNotion
Mar 14, 2011, 09:02 AM
wow!
you have tried using your mba for final cut?
Is it lagging?

Artofilm
Mar 14, 2011, 09:48 AM
Depends on what you mean by lagging. It's of course not a Mac Pro but editing videos and photoshop files is quick. It takes a little longer to compress HD videos, but I just let the MBA run for a few hours to process the video, no big deal.

It definitely does the job.

stockscalper
Mar 14, 2011, 09:53 AM

Yes. Everyday, for everything.

TheRealDamager
Mar 14, 2011, 12:30 PM

Me too - no issues.

gwsat
Mar 14, 2011, 01:28 PM
Me too - no issues.
Me three. My 13 inch Ultimate MBA does everything my old 17 inch 2.4GHz Santa Rosa MBP with 6GB of RAM did and does it in a package that is less that half as thick and weighs less than half as much as the MBP. I have had the MBA for four and a half months and love it, it has exceeded my most optimistic expectations.

tim100
Mar 14, 2011, 07:25 PM
Me three. My 13 inch Ultimate MBA does everything my old 17 inch 2.4GHz Santa Rosa MBP with 6GB of RAM did and does it in a package that is less that half as thick and weighs less than half as much as the MBP. I have had the MBA for four and a half months and love it, it has exceeded my most optimistic expectations.

do you miss the larger screen?

jrichie
Mar 14, 2011, 07:57 PM
Yes I am......

I do a lot of 3D design work, photoshop, aperture, illustrator and web design, with a lot of multi-tasking.

My 11" air only likes the above software for very minor work. I did some full tests on it, and really cannot see how the 13" would be. able to perform as I would like [after looking at all the benchmarks]

Also the screen size is a very big deal, as the upgraded screen size on the 15" basically replaces the need for an external monitor. With the air I would spend my life plugging and un-plugging it ! Reduces a lot of clutter.

It all depends on what you use the computer for, as the MBA is my all time favourite mac! For most it is perfect, but not me.

In the end, just stick an SSD into the Macbookpro and watch it fly way beyond the air.

However, I will be back to the air probably when the Ivy Bridge chips are in it, and in the mean time will make the most of the power of the MBP.

theyanman
Mar 14, 2011, 08:01 PM
Guys, I am debating whether I should buy a 11" MBA ultimate to replace my day-to-day tasks on my a 2.4 C2D 15" MBP. I spent some quality time today at the apple store. I was quite impressed with the base 11" today. It handled 720p video in safari and imovie at the same time. It was extremely quick and responsive.

Moving to the new MBPs, my initial reaction was wow, this is really heavy. And I know that I don't need to have all that horsepower as I am not a power user.

It will be interesting to see how the next redesigned MBP will look like, since apple likes to leverage technologies from product to product.

The MBA is making believers out of most people out there who don't run pro apps and that hold portability as their main reason for purchase.

jrichie
Mar 14, 2011, 08:12 PM
If you do some basic stuff it will be fine.

The screen can be slightly annoying for scrolling on websites, but overall as a computer to do surfing / email / docs and watching movies I think it is unbeatable.

Order the base with the 4gb ram - this is what I have and love.

sbb155
Mar 14, 2011, 08:28 PM
considering it strongly
The MBA i have is a dog compared to the new MBP, and for the 13", same footprint...
New MBP is better than some pac pros at the higher end of the MBP series
MBA is really a netbook in the scheme of things

Jsimon9633
Mar 14, 2011, 08:35 PM
I use it as my main computer and its hooked up to my 23 inch apple cinema display.

I love the mba its the best mac I have ever bought.

I have the MBA 13.3 Ultimate

Psilocybin
Mar 14, 2011, 08:39 PM
considering it strongly
The MBA i have is a dog compared to the new MBP, and for the 13", same footprint...
New MBP is better than some pac pros at the higher end of the MBP series

The MBA is not a netbook

ed.g
Mar 14, 2011, 08:53 PM
The MBA is not a netbook

The MBA is a well rounded laptop solution. It's far from be a netbook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gwsat
Mar 14, 2011, 09:13 PM
do you miss the larger screen?
No. Whenever I use my 17 inch MBP I am reminded that its extra screen size does little for me. The 13 inch MBA's screen size has not hampered me at all.

The MBA is a well rounded laptop solution. It's far from be a netbook.
I suspect that anybody who says an MBA is a netbook has never used a real netbook, or never used an MBA, or never used either.

tim100
Mar 16, 2011, 06:29 AM
[QUOTE=gwsat;12153544]No. Whenever I use my 17 inch MBP I am reminded that its extra screen size does little for me. The 13 inch MBA's screen size has not hampered me at all.

great

entatlrg
Mar 16, 2011, 10:39 AM
I use it as my main computer and its hooked up to my 23 inch apple cinema display.

I love the mba its the best mac I have ever bought.

I have the MBA 13.3 Ultimate

What do you use your 17" MBP for or has your 13" MBA replaced it?

nfl46
Mar 16, 2011, 11:38 AM
I went from 2010 13" MBA to 2011 13" MBP. The Pro is better for me. The screen on the Pro looks so much better...the colors look pretty amazing! The only trade off is the screen resolution, which I don't really care much about.

gwsat
Mar 16, 2011, 12:04 PM
I went from 2010 13" MBA to 2011 13" MBP. The Pro is better for me. The screen on the Pro looks so much better...the colors look pretty amazing! The only trade off is the screen resolution, which I don't really care much about.
Yours is the first claim I have seen that the 13 inch MBP's 1280 X 800 resolution display looks better than the MBA's 1440 X 900 display. In addition to the MBP's inferior resolution, I dislike its highly reflective glass covered screen. Although the MBA's screen is not totally immune to reflections in the way that matte screens are, it is totally non reflective under most lighting conditions. I spent about half an hour checking out the 13 inch MBP's display at the Apple Store on Monday and was underwhelmed.

All of that said, I still think the 13 inch MBP is a better choice for users who don't place a premium on thinness and lightness and can live with its, to me at least, inferior display. The MBP's RAM and storage are both user upgradeable, whereas the MBA's are not. Also, the MBP's firewire 800 and Thunderbolt ports add significant utility to it. Best of all, the entry level 13 inch MBP costs only two-thirds as much as a comparably equipped MBA -- as long as you can live with the MBP's slow mechanical hard drive.

nfl46
Mar 16, 2011, 12:11 PM
Yours is the first claim I have seen that the 13 inch MBP's 1280 X 800 resolution display looks better than the MBA's 1440 X 900 display. In addition to the MBP's inferior resolution, I dislike its highly reflective glass covered screen. Although the MBA's screen is not totally immune to reflections in the way that matte screens are, it is totally non reflective under most lighting conditions. I spent about half an hour checking out the 13 inch MBP's display at the Apple Store on Monday and was underwhelmed.

All of that said, I still think the 13 inch MBP is a better choice for users who don't place a premium on thinness and lightness and can live with its, to me at least, inferior display. The MBP's RAM and storage are both user upgradeable, whereas the MBA's are not. Also, the MBP's firewire 800 and Thunderbolt ports add significant utility to it. Best of all, the entry level 13 inch MBP costs only two-thirds as much as a comparably equipped MBA -- as long as you can live with the MBP's slow mechanical hard drive.

By better, I mean colors. Of course you get more screen res on the MBA, but the MBP screen still hands down look better when it comes to editing pictures.

gwsat
Mar 16, 2011, 12:41 PM
By better, I mean colors. Of course you get more screen res on the MBA, but the MBP screen still hands down look better when it comes to editing pictures.
I have seen other fans of the glass covered screens say that. I do virtually no photo editing these days, so the apparent additional snap to colors provided by the glass covered screens doesn't mean much to me but am certainly not dismissing it. Also, I routinely use my computers in a rather brightly lighted room so screen reflections make me crazy.

Both my 17 inch Powerbook G4 and 17 inch MBP have matte screens and, as noted in an earlier post, the MBA's screen is the next best thing to matte. When I have used my grandson's 13 inch MBP it's reflective screen has bothered me. He loves it, though, and says the reflections have not been much of a problem for him.

BornAgainMac
Mar 16, 2011, 01:16 PM
As much as I would love to have a 2011 MBP, my Ultimate 13 inch MBA does the job. It somehow managed to trick my brain to thinking it is my MBP. I just gave up on gaming and encoding video on it. MPA is fine for business use.

If I wanted to splurge, I probably would have a 15 inch 2011 MBP because it is the flagship Mac portable that can do everything.

fyrefly
Mar 16, 2011, 03:28 PM
Depends on what you mean by lagging. It's of course not a Mac Pro but editing videos and photoshop files is quick. It takes a little longer to compress HD videos, but I just let the MBA run for a few hours to process the video, no big deal.

It definitely does the job.

Of course it "does the job". A PowerBook G4 could "do the job" most of the time (I've edited video on eMacs at school back in the day - terribly slow - but it worked!)

I have an Air, and love it, but if you're editing HD video, you could be done in a fraction of the time with any of the current MBP lineup compared to the MBA. 1/2 the time or less.

If you have the time to kill (do you really wanna waste a few hours every time you want to encode our output from Final Cut?) then by all means, but I would never suggest a MBA to someone who edits any decent amount of HD video.

entatlrg
Mar 16, 2011, 04:22 PM

You are obviously not a professional photographer because there is hardly a pro photographer on the planet who prefers Apple's glossy screen to the anti-glare. Or, willing to edit anything at 1280x resolution.

Don't take my word for it, hop over to the MacBook Pro forum and read for yourself, there's hundreds if not thousands of posters discussing the screens and their benefits.

Jsimon9633
Mar 16, 2011, 04:46 PM
What do you use your 17" MBP for or has your 13" MBA replaced it?

It has been replaced. I rarely use the 17inch. I am actually trying to sell it.

SammySlim
Mar 16, 2011, 05:03 PM
I use my MBA 11 as my primary machine. All I do are office productivity apps and internet-related apps, plus online poker. At home, it's connected to an Apple 27 Cinema display (which looks fabulous). On the road, which is where I spend most of my time, it's perfect. Screen size not an issue.

Cheers

nfl46
Mar 16, 2011, 05:15 PM
You are obviously not a professional photographer because there is hardly a pro photographer on the planet who prefers Apple's glossy screen to the anti-glare. Or, willing to edit anything at 1280x resolution.

Don't take my word for it, hop over to the MacBook Pro forum and read for yourself, there's hundreds if not thousands of posters discussing the screens and their benefits.

Hmm, who said I was a professional photographer? And why would any professional want to edit professional pictures on a 13" screen? All I said were the colors were MUCH better on the 13" Pro than the 13" Air.

tim100
Mar 16, 2011, 06:41 PM
As much as I would love to have a 2011 MBP, my Ultimate 13 inch MBA does the job. It somehow managed to trick my brain to thinking it is my MBP. I just gave up on gaming and encoding video on it. MPA is fine for business use.

If I wanted to splurge, I probably would have a 15 inch 2011 MBP because it is the flagship Mac portable that can do everything.

the new flagship is the 13 macbook air. here is why
1) 13 inch screen is the new mainstream (cnet has been saying this for a while)
2) its the future of notebooks
3) has ssd standard
4) has no mechanical parts/no optical drive
5) has a high res screen (apple has put high res screen on the products they consider important ipad, iphone, mba)

entatlrg
Mar 16, 2011, 08:17 PM
Tim - what's your main computer now?

JayDH
Mar 16, 2011, 08:23 PM
I just switched from the 13" MBA Ultimate to the high-end 15" MBP. I do a lot of reading and text on the MBA was a little too small for me. I prefer the larger screen on the MBP.

The MBA was an extremely capable machine, though. Just as fast as my new MBP in many everyday tasks.

tim100
Mar 16, 2011, 08:25 PM
Tim - what's your main computer now?

i have a 13 inch mba ultimate and 15 i7 anti glare. I use the mba more. i understand the mba is a hot seller but i think mbp still out sells the mba.

its hard to beat the mba with the battery life. before the new mba came out i had various mbps. i would use them go to bed and wake up the next day with no battery. the 30 day standby on the mba is great.

the mba would be perfect with a backlit keyboard and sandy bridge.

i think maybe the best combo at this point would be a 11 mba and 15 mbp. the 13 mbp is out due to res. i have had 17 mbp but i find the 15 better.

entatlrg
Mar 16, 2011, 09:09 PM
I'm thinking of adding a 17" mbp to my set up, just for maximum screen real estate on the go.

gwsat
Mar 16, 2011, 09:23 PM
i have a 13 inch mba ultimate and 15 i7 anti glare. I use the mba more. i understand the mba is a hot seller but i think mbp still out sells the mba.

its hard to beat the mba with the battery life. before the new mba came out i had various mbps. i would use them go to bed and wake up the next day with no battery. the 30 day standby on the mba is great.

i think maybe the best combo at this point would be a 11 mba and 15 mbp. the 13 mbp is out due to res. i have had 17 mbp but i find the 15 better.
I use my old 17 inch Santa Rosa MBP in combination with my 13 inch Ultimate MBA. Like you, I use the MBA more but like having the combination, nonetheless. Next year I will likely replace my old MBP with whatever is the current top end model of the 15 inch MBP

brentsg
Mar 16, 2011, 10:01 PM

I know everyone's usage differs, but why 2 portables? I've not yet made the jump but I'm thinking of adding a MBA to compliment a 6 core Mac Pro.

cherishzm
Mar 16, 2011, 10:03 PM

That's what I have, 15 MBP and 11 MBA. I use 11 MBA almost exclusively at home doing web browsing, movie watching and other stuff (1~3 hrs/day) and it works perfectly for what I do. I never thought the screen is too small (surprising because I did not plan to get the 11 MBA but I got a great deal, 2-week old one for $700) and battery lasts long enough not to worry about charging it often.

I use my powerful 15 MBP at work and it is rarely used at home. With the SSD I put in there, it's blazing fast but too much for just for web browsing and movie watching at home.

For what I do mostly (I don't do photo/video editing or other processor/GPU intensive works), I'm considering an 13" ultimate MBA to replace both.

entatlrg
Mar 16, 2011, 10:19 PM
Decisions, decisions eh?

I'm looking at going the other direction, from using my 13" MBA as my main machine, to a 17" MBP and using the MBA less, reason being screen real estate on the go.

I'm beginning to think/realize it's probably wisest to stick with the MBA and use it as a main machine, my Mac Pro sits in my Office, and my wife is waiting to grab the 11" from me :)

gwsat
Mar 17, 2011, 07:54 AM
Decisions, decisions eh?

I'm looking at going the other direction, from using my 13" MBA as my main machine, to a 17" MBP and using the MBA less, reason being screen real estate on the go.

I'm beginning to think/realize it's probably wisest to stick with the MBA and use it as a main machine, my Mac Pro sits in my Office, and my wife is waiting to grab the 11" from me :)
I think you are on the right track. Although I am glad to have my 17 inch MBP, compared to the MBA it is bulky and heavy. Whenever I finish working on the MBP I am always delighted to return to the thin and light MBA. I will likely get a 15 inch MBP when it is time to replace my current 17 inch MBP. The jury is still out on that, though, because the 15 inch MBP isn't much smaller and lighter than the 17 inch model.

sush
Mar 17, 2011, 08:01 AM
i think maybe the best combo at this point would be a 11 mba and 15 mbp.

I had the combination of a base 11in Air and a highend 15in 2011 MBP until I decided to send the MBP back to Apple two days ago because I would only have used the MBP at home anyway. I also had (or actually I still have it) a 2007 15in MBP which will probably be given to my parents. Long story short: at the moment my only machine is the base 11in Air.
I will probably try to sell it and get an 13in ultimate Air, since that will make more sense as a sole computer.

Scottsdale
Mar 17, 2011, 08:18 AM
I know everyone's usage differs, but why 2 portables? I've not yet made the jump but I'm thinking of adding a MBA to compliment a 6 core Mac Pro.

For the vast majority of people I have similar questions. I don't understand wanting two computers at all. My MBA drivesa 27" ACD for the desktop solution built into the notebook.

I know there are graphics professionals, engineers, and etc who need the powerful components of the Mac Pro, but the vast majority of people who use two laptops seem crazy by comparison. I find it work to keep files coordinated when I have more than one Mac.

I think the biggest thing is people don't realize the MBA is as capable as it is and can even drive 30" ACDs. Most of the people I see with two Mac notebooks have rather simple requests like want a bigger display for reading or want to rip disks. I just feel people must have incredibly low respect for their MBA if they think it's so incapable.

I find the MBA to be incredibly capable and my management of files so simple using one Mac for everything. I know there are some who need more power, but I think many people falsely conclude they are in that category when the MBA with an ACD setup like a docking station could be a wonderful solution and cost less too.

Steve121178
Mar 17, 2011, 08:24 AM

Not for me. Probably going to sell my MBA. It's a nice machine, but it's not in the same league as my VAIO Z.

I knew the hardware was dated when I purchased it, but I think I'm going to cash in now while it still has a high resale price.

entatlrg
Mar 17, 2011, 10:54 AM
Not for me. Probably going to sell my MBA. It's a nice machine, but it's not in the same league as my VAIO Z.

I knew the hardware was dated when I purchased it, but I think I'm going to cash in now while it still has a high resale price.

Interesting we have a max'd out Z11 and Z12 in my office and there's not one person here, including myself that likes them.

I've had a few Z's in the past, I gave the Z12 a month to try out, I prefer my 13" MBA ultimate a thousand times more than the Sony Z's.

I'd argue the Z isn't near in the same league as the Air ... but then again I'm not a "spec chaser".

For day to day performance and work, coming from someone who's used both extensively the Z doesn't come close to the MacBook Air.

To each their own.

Steve121178
Mar 17, 2011, 11:17 AM
Interesting we have a max'd out Z11 and Z12 in my office and there's not one person here, including myself that likes them.

I've had a few Z's in the past, I gave the Z12 a month to try out, I prefer my 13" MBA ultimate a thousand times more than the Sony Z's.

I'd argue the Z isn't near in the same league as the Air ... but then again I'm not a "spec chaser".

For day to day performance and work, coming from someone who's used both extensively the Z doesn't come close to the MacBook Air.

To each their own.

High-end i5 (or i7 if you want it) CPU, RAID 0 SSD config and you find the MBA performed better?!?! In my extensive experience of owning and using both, the Z absolutely trounces the MBA and practically any other laptop you care to mention. Then there's the screen on the Z. It's absolutely fantastic and makes it easily apparent why the Z has such a premium RRP.

I also prefer typing on the Z, the backlit keys have the perfect amount of travel whereas the MBA's are a lot shallower. But as you say, each to their own. The MBA also lacks things like WWAN to make it a true all-purpose ultraportable.

I don't dislike my MBA, I just think I'll sell it while it still has a reasonably high resale value.

entatlrg
Mar 17, 2011, 11:46 AM
For the tasks I do, which isn't real heavy lifting, but I am an Industrial Designer and do a lot of large vector drawings so both machines do get a decent work out. For what I do on both machines I don't see a difference.

If I was rendering video files then for sure, Z would be quicker but for day to day stuff I find the Air a little quicker, that could just be the difference in the two OS's. The Z12 here has 8gm ram and 512ssd by the way, probably has less than 100 hours use.

It is personal preference, I fly on Z keyboard for sure, I like them both. Your screen comments where most interesting, I hate the Z screen, where I love the MBA screens.

There is good reading on both here in the forum, going back a year ago I was the one who as all pro Z and slamming the MacBook Air revb's at that time as it was in such need of an update.

I ran out and bought a Z11 for my COO and Z12 for myself ... sadly we didn't like them so much. After about a month he went for a 13" MBP and I went for a 15" MBP still using my revb MBA the most ....

Now at the office I see they use them for new staff and fill-in notebooks.

That's why I may sound a little grumpy towards the Z ... a lot of money to put out for an anticipated 'hot notebook'.

The fan noise, heat and screen turned me off. And, I was excited to give Win7 a try as I've used Windows for 10 years before OSX but that didn't excite me either.

I've think I've been bitten by the Apple bug.

brentsg
Mar 17, 2011, 11:53 AM
For the vast majority of people I have similar questions. I don't understand wanting two computers at all. My MBA drivesa 27" ACD for the desktop solution built into the notebook.

I know there are graphics professionals, engineers, and etc who need the powerful components of the Mac Pro, but the vast majority of people who use two laptops seem crazy by comparison. I find it work to keep files coordinated when I have more than one Mac.

Well in my case most of my work is actually just using my computer as a dumb terminal, but I still want as much portability as possible. But then I have additional needs such as HD video encoding and some other things, as well as a need to work with multiple VMs at once. For that I need something more than an Air or dual core MBP.

BornAgainMac
Mar 17, 2011, 12:46 PM
i have had 17 mbp but i find the 15 better.

I agree with you. I had the 17 inch and the 15 inch was a better laptop size. At home I dock it to a real monitor anyways.

racer1441
Mar 17, 2011, 01:39 PM
It all depends on what I need to do.

Light work, day to day, ect. 11 in MBA.

Real work 17 MBP.

entatlrg
Mar 17, 2011, 10:31 PM
racer - I've just switched to the same set up today ... bought the 17" MBP and will use my Air for mobile use, or when I'm not doing serious work such as vector drawings ...

I'm hoping it works out and I'll see what it can replace ... I'm thinking it can replace my Mac Pro ... giving me power plus a larger portable screen ... only thing I'll maybe miss is the dual monitor set up.

stockscalper
Mar 18, 2011, 08:41 AM
I do high end photography as a hobby using Canon professional grade (1D series) cameras and L class lenses. And I chose the glossy screen on my 15" MBP over the antiglare screen. Why? Because the antiglare screen smudges the details. When you're pixel peeping and need to see the details for Photoshop work having them smudged simply won't do. The glossy screen is so crisp and clear it's ideal for doing Photoshop and HDR work. All you have to do is use overhead lighting and glare isn't a problem.

Lately, I've been bursting another myth that's commonly bantied about the Mac forums and that is I'm doing Photoshop on a MacBook Air. The screen size hasn't been a problem (it's also a bit on the gloss side too) and the processor is plenty powerful enough. In fact, it seems to me to run better than on my 15" MBP.

HiddenGem
Mar 18, 2011, 08:51 AM
How does the Air 13" screen compare to MBP 15" in terms of colour saturation and realism?

How acceptable would you say viewing photos on it and doing basic touching up is etc?

athletejmv
Mar 19, 2011, 06:32 PM

I compared the MBA and MBP screens side by side (I purchased both to decide which to keep). Although the MBP screen appears more vivid, the colors are less natural and shades of darker colors such as blacks and blues blend together in movies limiting detail. I was shocked and very disappointed with the '11 MBP. Also, I ran a few screen tuning apps and went to a couple of web pages, the MBA was in tune, the MBP needed major tuning for natural colors and was still having hicups.

Tests keep showing frame rates are close between the 320m and hd3000; but the picture/video quality is better on the 320m (MBA). So either we have a graphics card difference or the glossy screens are different between the two???

I liked the raw processing power of the MBP, but with such terrible transition between colors and even missing colors that black out, I decided to return the MBP. I'm wondering now if this problem will appear in the refresh for '11 MBAs.

mac jones
Mar 19, 2011, 06:43 PM
In our house we have both 11 and 13 Airs, a new 13 MBP 2.7Ghz, and a 17" 2.2GHZ quad (and a iPad 1 and 2 thank you :D )
All pretty new.

I use some of them on and off.

The new MBP's are rather powerful. If you need power you will want one of these enough to forgo the great advatages of the Air. It's just that the Air now is old technology, even though it's a new model? (how does that work :rolleyes: )

Anyway, if I travel via airline I use a Air if I can, but if I need power I'm forced to take the MBP.

The gap has widened considerably with the new cpu's.

athletejmv
Mar 19, 2011, 10:45 PM
I compared the MBA and MBP screens side by side (I purchased both to decide which to keep). Although the MBP screen appears more vivid, the colors are less natural and shades of darker colors such as blacks and blues blend together in movies limiting detail. I was shocked and very disappointed with the '11 MBP. Also, I ran a few screen tuning apps and went to a couple of web pages, the MBA was in tune, the MBP needed major tuning for natural colors and was still having hicups.

Tests keep showing frame rates are close between the 320m and hd3000; but the picture/video quality is better on the 320m (MBA). So either we have a graphics card difference or the glossy screens are different between the two???

I liked the raw processing power of the MBP, but with such terrible transition between colors and even missing colors that black out, I decided to return the MBP. I'm wondering now if this problem will appear in the refresh for '11 MBAs.

I compared all the screens on the 13"MBP, 15"MBP and the 13"MBA at best buy using an online screen tuning site. I mentioned earlier in the thread that the MBA had the best screen as far as textures go in darker shades. It proved true for the most part if I'm going about the comparisons right. Both MBPs had the same shade texture issues and the 15" MBP comes with the AMD graphics card. The only thing I can conclude is that the HD3000 integrated graphics on the 13" MBP must work fine in comparison to the older Nvidea graphics chip set.

Anyhow, the new SB 13" MBP is a lot of bang for the buck compared to the MBA. I decided to keep the MBP because I need the performance and the price is a $500 diff if you are going with the MBA 13" ultimate. The are also similar in size, although not much in weight. MBP 13" is what works for me.

Something else to take into consideration if you are a heavy multi-tasker or watch videos is that the MBP's battery lasts longer and the processor works less (because of integrated graphics). The MBP is also more efficient at running multiple tabs with java/falsh adds etc running; the MBA's battery will start draining like crazy anytime something CPU intensive such as flash is running in a web page.

bowlerman625
Mar 19, 2011, 11:36 PM

yes

athletejmv
Mar 20, 2011, 12:58 AM

Battery life on the '11 MBP is much better than the MBA with an SSD; especially when running Java or flash content. I have owned the '10 MBA; my '11 MBP out performs the 13" ultimate in every aspect, to exclude weight and tapering off in size at the palm end of the system. I have to say the 13" is much more gorgeous while my 13" MBP is much more capable and cost effective offering much more at a lower cost and not much larger of a package.

When everything is said and done, to each his own. The MBA and MBP are both beautiful machines with different focuses.

teerexx52
Mar 21, 2011, 03:13 PM

I'm really curious why you think the screen on the pro is better. I've looked at them side by side and can't really see much difference except resolution.

Help Please
Mar 21, 2011, 03:40 PM
I'm really curious why you think the screen on the pro is better. I've looked at them side by side and can't really see much difference except resolution.

I agree. After calibrating the screen on Air, I could barely see much of a difference between the two.

fyrefly
Mar 22, 2011, 12:58 PM

I agree. After calibrating the screen on Air, I could barely see much of a difference between the two.

Anand's review of the 2011 MBP's shows the same results others have mentioned/observed in this thread. The MBA has better contrast/blacks. the MBP has better colour accuracy/gamut:

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/macbookproearly2010_041410212607/35745.png

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/macbookproearly2010_041410212607/35748.png

teerexx52
Mar 22, 2011, 01:13 PM
Anand's review of the 2011 MBP's shows the same results others have mentioned/observed in this thread. The MBA has better contrast/blacks. the MBP has better colour accuracy/gamut:

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/macbookproearly2010_041410212607/35745.png

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/macbookproearly2010_041410212607/35748.png

Thanks very much for this info. I really feel the Air's screen is as good as the 13" Pros I have recently seen

DarwinOSX
Mar 22, 2011, 01:15 PM

No. Netbooks have crap screens, crap keyboard, slow and cheap.

DrHiggsBoson
Mar 23, 2011, 03:26 PM
I had originally bought the 11" Macbook Air 128 gb as my first Apple computer and I was very satisfied. The small 16:9 screen looked great and the machine ran like a charm. I am a computer science major, so I have a linux/Win. desktop for my heavy lifting. I figured the Air would do nicely as an everyday carry around notebook. I love the size and quickness of the Air, but after a week or so I started to question my purchase. I looked all over the web for pros and cons between the 11" air and the new 13" Pro. the pros and cons that really mattered to me were:

Air:
Pros
-Size/portability
-Sleek Design
-quality
-16:9
-Battery
-SSD speed
Cons
-No backlit keyboard
-No edge to edge glass screen
-CPU
-Upgradability

Macbook Pro:
Pros
-Glass display
-Backlit keys
-Sandy Bridge CPU
-Upgradable Ram/Memory
-HD cam
-Battery
HDrive space
Cons
-16:10
-Weight/Portability
-Not as amazingly slim

I have been a long time PC user with both windows and linux distributions, but as I am totally aware, I would be much happier with the build quality of an Apple machine. In that light, I knew I would be happy with either one I chose. I decided to get the Macbook Pro, simply because I felt it was going to fulfill my needs and I wouldn't have any regrets on upgrading. Other than the 16:9/16:10 issue, I really feel like I have made the best choice for me.

The only issues I'm going to have now are deciding if I want to shell out for the i7 processor and dealing with my CS Peers :P. At our university, the CS crowd sits at about 60% Windows, 38% Linux, and 2% Apple. I've already had a few people talk to me with their Mac vs. PC spiel. The way I see it, I'll feel better with a notebook that I can always rely on, also I'm able to learn the ins and outs of a new OS. :D

teerexx52
Mar 24, 2011, 01:05 PM
Ok, My wife's MacBook Pro 13" came today and we fired it up. We put my Air and her Pro side by side and compared screens on web pages and photos in iphoto. I have to say we both felt that in no way was the Pro's screen better than the Airs. In fact my opinion was the Airs was better:) Subjective, I know but never-the-less I feel better:)

DarwinOSX
Apr 13, 2011, 12:36 AM
The best laptop is the one you have with you. I carry my MBA around without a second thought. Would not do that with a MBP. People who don't have an MBA often way overestimate how much hardware they really need, especially ram. 4GB is plenty for most people. I'm quite the hardware wh**e myself but there is very little the Air can't do including running VM's.

Stingray454
Apr 13, 2011, 03:15 AM
I used an old 13" late 2008 MacBook (first aluminum unibody version). It worked great for ages, until my dear girlfriend spilled a beer over it :mad:

This was just before the Air release. I guessed the new MBP:s wouldn't be out until this spring, so I got an 11" Air that I planned to sell and get a new MBP when they were out. But I couldn't.

Even the 13" MBP feels like a giant when you're used to the 11". It's huge, weighs a ton and sounds like a vacuum cleaner under load. My Air handles everything I do, is (a lot) more portable, better looking, and quieter. I couldn't motivate myself to get a Pro for all that cash when the Air feels better in almost every regard.

Sure, sometimes I miss back-lit keyboard, and on occasion I notice the slow processor when doing heavy work, but compared to dragging around a Pro it's well worth it. Couldn't be happier :)