PDA

View Full Version : iPad 2 Smart Cover Teardown Reveals 21 Magnets

MacRumors
Mar 14, 2011, 08:43 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/03/14/ipad-2-smart-cover-teardown-reveals-21-magnets/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2011/03/14/093320-smart_cover_teardown.jpg

Noted teardown firm iFixit reported (http://www.ifixit.com/blog/blog/2011/03/14/ipad-2s-smart-cover-teardown/) today that it has performed a teardown (http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPad-2-Smart-Cover-Teardown/5089/1) of the Apple's highly-publicized Smart Cover (http://www.apple.com/ipad/smart-cover/) for the iPad 2, revealing a plethora of magnets inside the device to keep it aligned on the surface of the iPad and to turn the iPad on and off.There are a total of THIRTY ONE magnets within the iPad 2 and Smart Cover: 10 magnets in the iPad 2, and a whopping 21 magnets inside the Smart Cover. They're the reason why the cover works so well with the iPad 2.Long, thin magnets are embedded in the sides of the iPad in order to hold the Smart Cover firmly in place on the left side and keep the cover closed on the right side.

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2011/03/14/093320-smart_cover_ipad_magnets_sensor.jpg

iPad 2 sleep sensor (red) and magnets for keeping cover closed (yellow)
A single round magnet in the rightmost panel of the Smart Cover interacts with a sleep sensor embedded in the right edge of the iPad to turn the iPad on and off as the cover is opened and closed.

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2011/03/14/093320-smart_cover_magnets_plate.jpg

Steel plate (red) and 15 magnets (yellow) interact to stabilize stand
The Smart Cover is broken into four panels to allow it to fold into a triangular shape to serve as a stand. A total of 15 magnets in the rightmost panel of the cover are used to bond to a steel plate in the leftmost panel to stabilize the stand.

Apple offers polyurethane Smart Covers in five colors priced at $39 each, with leather covers also available in an additional five colors for $69 each.

Article Link: iPad 2 Smart Cover Teardown Reveals 21 Magnets (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/03/14/ipad-2-smart-cover-teardown-reveals-21-magnets/)

ApplLover
Mar 14, 2011, 08:47 AM
Im concerned that this cover wont provide protection for the backside of my iPad.. leaving it open for scratches and scuffs.. Any thoughts on this?

rdowns
Mar 14, 2011, 08:48 AM
Im concerned that this cover wont provide protection for the backside of my iPad.. leaving it open for scratches and scuffs.. Any thoughts on this?

Really? The 31 other threads about this weren't enough.

Ja Di ksw
Mar 14, 2011, 08:48 AM
Since it's only magnets and we can see their location, I would love to see a 3rd party manufacturer come up with a case (not cover) using this. The case for my iPad has been extremely helpful on the 2 occasions it has fallen - thankfully from a low height. The cover would have done nothing to keep it from getting dings or scratches. A case that would also put it to sleep and wake it up would be really cool.

Burntfender
Mar 14, 2011, 08:52 AM
Gotta admire all the work they have put into this. Still that many magnets is crazy. now we know why they cost so much!

AdeFowler
Mar 14, 2011, 08:52 AM
A teardown of a cover! :eek:

levitynyc
Mar 14, 2011, 08:55 AM
I really like my cover a lot. Its so nifty and functional. Its a little overpriced (particularly the leather one), but I love it.

Full of Win
Mar 14, 2011, 08:56 AM
Well, at least there is something there to justify the cost. Makes the 29$ they are charging for the bumper look even more silly.

foofan
Mar 14, 2011, 08:57 AM
wow a teardown of a cover? these guys have way too much time on their hands

Popeye206
Mar 14, 2011, 08:59 AM
Nifty cover. I love how much thought seems to have gone into this.

However, I think I'd want a full case cover over just the screen. But still cool.

basesloaded190
Mar 14, 2011, 09:01 AM
So does this mean that apple may be building a case for the phone just like they did for the Ipad right from beginning to end?

sportsfan
Mar 14, 2011, 09:02 AM

It's a device that's meant to be used and handled. Does it matter?

lunarworks
Mar 14, 2011, 09:02 AM
It makes me nervous. I remember when magnets were the mortal enemy of data storage.

notjustjay
Mar 14, 2011, 09:03 AM
I'm actually quite happy with my Apple iPad cover for the first iPad. It's very thin and functional. (My first one suffered from peeling issues, but Apple replaced it on the spot for me.)

If I buy an iPad 2 (or iPad 3) I'll need a similar full-body cover. I'm not convinced that I only want one layer on top of the screen without any consideration for the sides and back.

It makes me nervous. I remember when magnets were the mortal enemy of data storage.

Don't be. That was only to protect floppy disks. Hard drives are technically susceptible to magnetic fields too but it takes a VERY large one to do any damage.

Small White Car
Mar 14, 2011, 09:03 AM
Interesting info. I was on the fence about the iPad 2 before it was announced, but these covers are what pushed me over the edge. After spending all weekend with one I'm now sure I made the right choice. An iPad with a Smart Cover is a thousand times better than an iPad in those old leather cases.

I've been using aluminum Macbook Pros for years and I've never had any problems with their cases.

I have a sleeve for them in my bag to keep them safe in there, but other than that my laptop is unprotected. I've had no trouble keeping them in pretty good shape.

I don't see why an iPad would be any different.

notjustjay
Mar 14, 2011, 09:05 AM
I've been using aluminum Macbook Pros for years and I've never had any problems with their cases.

Well, MacBook Pros have little rubber feet on the bottom that elevate them, for one, so they're not always rubbing their actual backs on every table surface you set them down on. Plus you'd expect an iPad to be handled and moved around a lot more than a laptop.

franswa za
Mar 14, 2011, 09:06 AM
makes me wonder how much weight the magnets and extra steel inside the ipad2 add

j-a-x
Mar 14, 2011, 09:09 AM
Is anybody worried that these magnets might potentially affect the data on a magnetic HD in a macBook stored next to an iPad? Or are they not strong enough for that?

larryinfl
Mar 14, 2011, 09:10 AM
I was very careful to open the packaging on my black leather Cover, because i did not think I would like it and would return it.

I am, however, very pleased with it. It folds nicely behind the ipad when in use and its does prop the iPad up nicely. A clean, minimalistic product.

The fitment and finish is very nice.

I will certainly be keeping it. :D

eyerot
Mar 14, 2011, 09:10 AM

You're right. I was excited about the smart cover when it was announced, but I find that I rarely use it as a stand. Still kind of nice as a screen protector.

I definitely recommend getting a sleeve or bag in addition to the cover.

Here's a girl I found a few years ago who makes some pretty cool sleeves from old military uniforms: blytheking.com (http://www.blytheking.com)

Tonewheel
Mar 14, 2011, 09:12 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Nice engineering. Fugly covers...every one of them.

BC2009
Mar 14, 2011, 09:13 AM
So I ordered the iPad 2 with the Smart Cover, but I think I would also like a sleeve that would fit the the iPad 2 with its smart cover on for when I am putting the iPad 2 in a bag or under the seat of the car.

I am looking forward to using the iPad without the bulk of a heavy case, but I still want some sort of sleeve to use when I am carrying or transporting the iPad from place to place (between usage).

HoOn
Mar 14, 2011, 09:15 AM
I returned my leather one because I just couldn't justify paying that much for protection to half a device. *SMH*

iBug2
Mar 14, 2011, 09:17 AM
I returned my leather one because I just couldn't justify paying that much for protection to half a device. *SMH*

So let me get this straight, when you actually bought the cover, you didn't realize it only covers half of the device, or you didn't realize how much it cost? :)

itickings
Is anybody worried that these magnets might potentially affect the data on a magnetic HD in a macBook stored next to an iPad? Or are they not strong enough for that?

If the magnets were strong enough to do that, you wouldn't stand any chance at all of removing the cover from the iPad...

blizaine
I was very careful to open the packaging on my black leather Cover, because i did not think I would like it and would return it.

I am, however, very pleased with it. It folds nicely behind the ipad when in use and its does prop the iPad up nicely. A clean, minimalistic product.

The fitment and finish is very nice.

That's one question I've had about Smart Covers. So you can fold it flat around the back of the iPad? I do this with my current iPad cover all the time, but I've yet to see a product photo with the cover wrapped flat around the back.

Charlie Sheen
Mar 14, 2011, 09:18 AM
Magnets. Thats wat apple loves.

Fgirl
Mar 14, 2011, 09:19 AM
With 31 magnets, I wonder if I'm going to be dragging a trail of paperclips and odd little metal bits around everywhere I take my ipad2??

Prab
Mar 14, 2011, 09:23 AM
Holy Magnet!! That's a lot. So no placing external hard drives near your iPad huh...

Frosticus
Mar 14, 2011, 09:23 AM
So let me get this straight, when you actually bought the cover, you didn't realize it only covers half of the device, or you didn't realize how much it cost? :)

Good question! :p

I for one can't wait to get my iPad 2 with a Smart Cover - a very simple and neat solution. As for the people concerned about the back - I get this, but no doubt cases will come out very soon that can be used in conjunction with the Smart Cover, so chill. :)

LagunaSol
Mar 14, 2011, 09:24 AM
This helps explain what is initially perceived as a very large price premium.

That said, it sucks that Apple made some of the more commonly-desired colors (black, red) leather-only. All the polyurethane cover colors except the gray seem more designed for the female sensibility while the more expensive leather has the manly men in mind. :mad:

Though maybe I can rock the orange if I try hard enough. ;)

Mistrblank
Mar 14, 2011, 09:27 AM
Well, MacBook Pros have little rubber feet on the bottom that elevate them, for one, so they're not always rubbing their actual backs on every table surface you set them down on. Plus you'd expect an iPad to be handled and moved around a lot more than a laptop.

The cover in this case acts as a buffer, either set it face down with the cover closed or open the cover and set the ipad on top of it.

My only questions, I haven't found a review that says whether the leather covers are worth the added cost. I ordered a navy one because I just couldn't stand the crappy color options on the poly ones.

Frosticus
Mar 14, 2011, 09:28 AM
If the magnets were strong enough to do that, you wouldn't stand any chance at all of removing the cover from the iPad...

Indeed - I doubt the field from these magnets is strong enough to cause damage to hard disks etc or cause any other issues. Benefits>Risks

Mister Snitch
Mar 14, 2011, 09:28 AM
Gotta admire all the work they have put into this. Still that many magnets is crazy. now we know why they cost so much!

Apple LOVES magnets. Bender (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bender_(Futurama)#Personality), not so much. Wonder if these covers will eventually induce the iPad to play folk music.

triceretops
Mar 14, 2011, 09:30 AM

That only applies to magnetic media. There is no magnetic media in an iPad.

Fgirl
Mar 14, 2011, 09:30 AM

Unh-unh, nope, too Herm駸-ey of an orange, definitely an orange of a 'female sensibility', every girl in Paris will have the orange.

Thunderhawks
Mar 14, 2011, 09:31 AM
With 31 magnets, I wonder if I'm going to be dragging a trail of paperclips and odd little metal bits around everywhere I take my ipad2??

Hey specs hounds!

I am sure you won't buy the ipad2 because there are ONLY 31 magnets.
Xoom and Samsung and Dell will have 62 magnets with more drawing/sealing power.

Also, the leather is not kangaroo leather or crocodile leather.

Apple hurt innocent animals procuring the leather. They should research extinct lifeforms instead of electronics.

Entire cover EPIC fail!

Zunjine
Mar 14, 2011, 09:32 AM
That's one question I've had about Smart Covers. So you can fold it flat around the back of the iPad? I do this with my current iPad cover all the time, but I've yet to see a product photo with the cover wrapped flat around the back.

Yes, I want to know this too. Does anyone here have one and can give us the answer? Can you fold it round while leaving it attached to the device?

mikeapple
Mar 14, 2011, 09:32 AM
When I get my hands on this iPad 2, I'm certainly not letting it get anywhere near my other devices. Maybe just 1 foot apart

Thunderhawks
Mar 14, 2011, 09:33 AM
Apple LOVES magnets. Bender (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bender_(Futurama)#Personality), not so much. Wonder if these covers will eventually induce the iPad to play folk music.

Jobs likes John Mayer's music.

I do think that over time the seams of the covers will break, as the material can't take 180 degree folds forever.

Kwill
Mar 14, 2011, 09:34 AM
I am hoping that this spurs more creative third-party iPad2 covers and cases that employ magnets.

Small White Car
Mar 14, 2011, 09:34 AM

Well, I've been known to often lay my laptop down on its top and I'm still happy with that way that looks.

I mean, don't get me wrong, you can tell it's used. It doesn't look like it's fresh out of the box. But there's nothing about my laptop that I'd say looks damaged or wrong.

richard371
Mar 14, 2011, 09:35 AM
This has to be hell for the poor compass.

Maclver
Mar 14, 2011, 09:35 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

So can the magnets affect the screen or anything like they did in the late 90s early 2000s?

triceretops
Mar 14, 2011, 09:36 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnet_therapy

I wonder if there are health benefits to having a magnetic cover?:rolleyes:

manu chao
Mar 14, 2011, 09:37 AM
Yeah, I do have thoughts on this: If you do not value a lighter and thinner package enough to accept an unprotected backside, simply buy a cover that protects the back. Just because you need a minivan, does not mean that sedans are bad cars.

If you just meant to ask how many people are willing to risk scratches to the back in return for a thinner package, you would have saved yourself some non-answers by asking this without giving the impression that you are putting your criticism that it irresponsible for Apple to even bring out a cover for the front only in the form of a question.

cohibadad
All of these magnets has a downside. I'm finding AA batteries and all sorts of stuff stuck to the side of my iPad 2.

Kwill

Just don't place your iPad2 (or Smart Cover) on a laptop (or other device with a hard disk).

Frosticus
Mar 14, 2011, 09:38 AM
Hey specs hounds!

I am sure you won't buy the ipad2 because there are ONLY 31 magnets.
Xoom and Samsung and Dell will have 62 magnets with more drawing/sealing power.

Also, the leather is not kangaroo leather or crocodile leather.

Apple hurt innocent animals procuring the leather. They should research extinct lifeforms instead of electronics.

Entire cover EPIC fail!

Oh, that's sarcasm. That's so awesome. :rolleyes:

manu chao
Mar 14, 2011, 09:39 AM
This is somewhat answered in this first-impressions article:
http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/pinkerton/archives/020886.html

Kwill
Mar 14, 2011, 09:40 AM

Think of how stationary it will be on a metal desk!

Frosticus
Mar 14, 2011, 09:41 AM
This has to be hell for the poor compass.

Valid point.. wonder how/if Apple worked around this...?:confused:

ten-oak-druid
Mar 14, 2011, 09:42 AM
21- that's odd

Or how mobile it will be in an MRI machine.

larryinfl
Mar 14, 2011, 09:44 AM

Yep, folds nicely behind it and stays out of your way. Its comfortable to hold it and have the cover folded back.

It would have been nice if they had magnets on the back that hold it completely in place while it was back there. I find one or two of the 'panes' can tend to flap around a bit while folded in the back. However, not really that bit of a deal.

jamiek88
Mar 14, 2011, 09:46 AM
21- that's odd

Or how mobile it will be in an MRI machine.

win

larryinfl
Mar 14, 2011, 09:47 AM
All of these magnets has a downside. I'm finding AA batteries and all sorts of stuff stuck to the side of my iPad 2.

Are you using a pile of batteries as your stand? :D

thefourthpope
Mar 14, 2011, 09:49 AM

All the videos hinted at it, but it's interesting to see evidence that these are righty-only covers. I was thinking about getting one for my mom--she uses a stylus when annotating images--but since she's a lefty it looks like shed have to completely remove the cover every time.
Flanders and the Leftorium might need to come out with a southpaw edition.

retroactiv
Mar 14, 2011, 09:49 AM
Yes, I want to know this too. Does anyone here have one and can give us the answer? Can you fold it round while leaving it attached to the device?

Yep. Here is a pic showing it doing just that. On a side note, the iPad 2 fits PERFECTLY in the InCase Protective Sleeve with the cover still attached for travel.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2178879/Photo%20Mar%2014%2C%2010%2046%2030%20AM.jpg

ferrous
Mar 14, 2011, 09:51 AM
I ordered the red leather cover, I hope it helps protect the pad and it "sticks" snuggly enough to prevent sliding in a bag.

gorgeousninja
Well, at least there is something there to justify the cost. Makes the 29$ they are charging for the bumper look even more silly.

wondered what your 'little ray of sunshine' take on it might be. Thought it was going to be "31 magnets! So typical of Apple to swindle us like that. Needed to be at least 285 ruby-tipped ferro-plasma magnets for them to justify that price"

franswa za

aaaaaaah! take your pad to the beach and find exotic stuff hidden under the sand!

ps- silliness aside....... cool idea apple!

j-a-x
Mar 14, 2011, 09:53 AM

I assume a magnet needs to be fairly strong to affect a HD inside the aluminum enclosure of a MacBook and I assume modern HDs have some degree of magnetic shielding, but still, having more magnets in my computer bag makes me a bit uneasy.

Zunjine
Mar 14, 2011, 09:54 AM

All the videos hinted at it, but it's interesting to see evidence that these are righty-only covers. I was thinking about getting one for my mom--she uses a stylus when annotating images--but since she's a lefty it looks like shed have to completely remove the cover every time.

Or just turn the device upside down. Sure, the home button isn't in the best place then but everything else in the UI will reorient.

egregious644
Mar 14, 2011, 09:55 AM

How do you know that the animals from which the leather was obtained are innocent? They may be guilty of horrific crimes.

Sodner
Mar 14, 2011, 09:55 AM
I love the smart cover. Sure it just protects the front glass. But it does it well and is just a ingenious accessory. I have already ordered a sleeve to put it in when I take the iPad out on the road. But once I'm on the plane, in the hotel room, etc it will be out of the sleeve.

I think Apple's case for the first iPad was horrible. Most ugly thing to come out of Cupertino.

wizzerandchips
Mar 14, 2011, 09:56 AM
I think the cover is pony

notjustjay
Mar 14, 2011, 09:58 AM

I assume a magnet needs to be fairly strong to affect a HD inside the aluminum enclosure of a MacBook and I assume modern HDs have some degree of magnetic shielding, but still, having more magnets in my computer bag makes me a bit uneasy.

If you ever get a chance to take apart a hard drive, do so. It's pretty fascinating. And you'll find that there are already some pretty flippin' strong magnets inside it. Lots of fun to play with.

I wouldn't worry about magnetic fields affecting modern hard drives.

underkuerbis
Mar 14, 2011, 09:59 AM

HDDs are far more resistant than you may think. Often even very strong magnets won't do any harm.
I reckon the cover magnets shouldn't cause any harm.

Thunderhawks
Mar 14, 2011, 09:59 AM
How do you know that the animals from which the leather was obtained are innocent? They may be guilty of horrific crimes.

Sorry, let me correct my statement:

Allegedly innocent animals, innocent until proven guilty .

franswa za
Mar 14, 2011, 10:01 AM

LOL!

and i thought iphone predictive texting was funny......... KWILL you MUST start a Smart Cover Blunder Blog

:D

ps- i want 30% of income

francois & steve

milo
Mar 14, 2011, 10:03 AM
Sounds like the magnets aren't strong enough to zap a hard drive, but what about carrying the iPad by your side next to your wallet in your pocket - any risk to the magnetic strips on credit cards?

notjustjay
Mar 14, 2011, 10:04 AM
HDDs are far more resistant than you may think. Often even very strong magnets won't do any harm.

Yes. To everyone concerned about magnetic fields damaging your hard drive, look at this picture:

http://www.computer-hardware-explained.com/image-files/hard-drive-magnet.jpg

Those magnets come from right inside a hard drive, as part of the read/write head mechanism. They sit less than 1/4" away from the platters.

Don't worry about it.

Bobbytoad
Mar 14, 2011, 10:08 AM
Magnets - great idea, but what happens if you put your credit card, hotel room key, air tickets near your ipad/smart cover!

Surely this is a recipe which could result in the ipad is erasing magnetic strips on those items if they’re in contact with each other? :eek:

Any one willing to try mating their credit card with the case magnets, in the name of research :D

DOH! ALREADY BEEN DISCUSSED - NOTE TO SELF READ THREAD FIRST

Mark Booth
Mar 14, 2011, 10:08 AM
I wonder if all these magnets are low enough power to be safe for someone with a cardiac pacemaker? Pacemakers are typically implanted in the left or right chest area and sometimes in the abdomen. I could see someone carrying an iPad with it resting against their chest or abdomen, thereby putting the iPad and/or Smart Cover directly over the site of the pacemaker.

Typically, it's relatively strong magnetic fields that are a concern. But that's a crap load of magnets in the two products combined. Ya think Apple tested for this scenario?

Do the products come with any sort of warning for cardiac pacemaker patients?

Mark

Grubster
Mar 14, 2011, 10:09 AM

Yes you can, there are two options actually for putting it on the back. You can just flap the entire thing around the back flat against the ipad. Or you can fold the cover in half flat and flip it around back. So if you are holding with one hand (your left), it's easy to grip the left side. If you hold it with your right hand, you just turn the ipad upside down, and then the cover is on the right side.

I find with no cover on the back, the thing slides in your hand.

Blorzoga
Mar 14, 2011, 10:10 AM
Interesting info. I was on the fence about the iPad 2 before it was announced, but these covers are what pushed me over the edge. After spending all weekend with one I'm now sure I made the right choice. An iPad with a Smart Cover is a thousand times better than an iPad in those old leather cases.

I have a sleeve for them in my bag to keep them safe in there, but other than that my laptop is unprotected. I've had no trouble keeping them in pretty good shape.

You have to be kidding. The smart cover is what convinced you to buy the new ipad? You are just the type of sucker that apple hoped to attract. The smart cover is a joke. It provides virtually no protection. It is just a gimmick. It provides no back protection, which is where most of the wear occurs, it can't be flipped onto the back when using the device. It provides absolutely no drop protection. Shame on Apple for coming up with a completely worthless cover and then soaking all the lemmings $39 - $69.

jglavin
Mar 14, 2011, 10:10 AM
So does this teardown finally answer the age-old question? ********** magnets. How do they work?

jglavin
Mar 14, 2011, 10:12 AM
Yes. To everyone concerned about magnetic fields damaging your hard drive, look at this picture:
Those magnets come from right inside a hard drive, as part of the read/write head mechanism. They sit less than 1/4" away from the platters.Not to mention current Macbooks also use magnets to hold their screens closed and their power cords in.

rfahey
Mar 14, 2011, 10:13 AM

My guess is they are roughly the strength of the MagSafe connector on the power adapters, so safe enough. Still, if you are concerned, store the iPad on the opposite side of where the HD is mounted.

TechKnow
Mar 14, 2011, 10:13 AM

Mine has already picked up a couple of paperclips off my desk.

Blorzoga
Mar 14, 2011, 10:14 AM
I would think that the magnets would screw up the compass. Does anyone have any first hand experience with this?

notjustjay
Mar 14, 2011, 10:14 AM
I wonder if all these magnets are low enough power to be safe for someone with a cardiac pacemaker?

Typically, it's relatively strong magnetic fields that are a concern. But that's a crap load of magnets in the two products combined. Ya think Apple tested for this scenario?

Do the products come with any sort of warning for cardiac pacemaker patients?

If someone with a pacemaker (like my mother) had an iPad 2 I would caution them not to "hug" an iPad. Keep it at least 6" away.

This article seems to suggest that the risk is real:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/6160731.stm?lspan

Frosticus
Mar 14, 2011, 10:15 AM
Not to mention current Macbooks also use magnets to hold their screens closed and their power cords in.
Not to mention the magnetic field from the speakers too.. seriously, nothing to worry about people, so stop freaking out.

room237
Mar 14, 2011, 10:18 AM
Really? The 31 other threads about this weren't enough.

That was a good point brought up by the OP, but I don't have a job or a social life, so I'm going to go back and search for all of the threads on the topic, read the hundreds of comments, and then I'll get back to you guys. Or, on a second thought, I'll just not say anything at all. It's not like this is an open forum or anything. Sorry.

theosib
Mar 14, 2011, 10:18 AM
Better keep your floppy disks away from the iPad 2! :)

mw360
Mar 14, 2011, 10:29 AM
Wow there sure is a lot of magnet paranoia in here. I guess very few of you know what makes a disk drive spin.

Mark Booth
Mar 14, 2011, 10:32 AM
If someone (like my mother) had an iPad 2 I would caution them not to "hug" an iPad. Keep it at least 6" away.

This article seems to suggest that the risk is real:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/6160731.stm?lspan

Thank you for the link to that article. Now the question is:

Did Apple use neodymium magnets in the Smart Cover and/or iPad 2?

As for "hugging" the iPad.... Modern cardiac pacemakers are so small and so efficient, most patients simply "forget" that they've got one in their chest. By "forget", I mean you simply don't think about it on a daily routine basis. It is entirely too easy to get involved with doing your daily activities and then suddenly realize that, oops, you shouldn't be leaning over that running car motor as close as you are. Or, you pick up and carry a stereo loudspeaker across the room and you forget yourself and end up having it rest against your chest as you carry it.

Yes, I have a cardiac pacemaker and I've had one since I was 44 years old. My wife owns an iPad 1 with Apple's original cover and, a couple of times, I've been using it while I was in a recliner and then fell asleep, only to wake and find the iPad resting on my chest (the way you might fall asleep with a book in your hands). Should this same scenario happen with an iPad 2 (with or without the Smart Cover), I'd be concerned about issues with disrupting the pacemaker.

Mark

Shivetya
Mar 14, 2011, 10:47 AM
Can the magnets support the weight of the iPad?

hlfway2anywhere
Mar 14, 2011, 10:50 AM
You have to be kidding. The smart cover is what convinced you to buy the new ipad? You are just the type of sucker that apple hoped to attract. The smart cover is a joke. It provides virtually no protection. It is just a gimmick. It provides no back protection, which is where most of the wear occurs, it can't be flipped onto the back when using the device. It provides absolutely no drop protection. Shame on Apple for coming up with a completely worthless cover and then soaking all the lemmings $39 - $69.

Wow. You clearly have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. There's even a photograph in this thread (post #59) demonstrating that you're wrong. I'm holding an iPad with the cover wrapped around the back. That is how wrong you are. Congrats on being totally wrong.

The smart cover is genius because it CAN cover the back when it's sitting downnbeing used, and it ocovers the screen when your transporting it. On top of it neing an awesome stand. it's perfect.

Kwill
Mar 14, 2011, 11:00 AM
Wow there sure is a lot of magnet paranoia in here. I guess very few of you know what makes a disk drive spin.

Are you kidding? I was in an Apple retail store this weekend witnessing mass hysteria as magnets in new iPads ripped fillings (http://tucsondental.org/70/are-your-fillings-hurting-your-teeth/) from customer mouths and pacemakers out of their chests! Remarkably, this did not diminish customer clamor. News reports indicate that the earth shifted (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1365821/Earths-day-length-shortened-Japan-earthquake-tsunam-axis-tilted-25cm.html?ito=feeds-newsxml) its axis on the day the iPad2 went on sale. :rolleyes:

bassfingers
Mar 14, 2011, 11:02 AM
Thats a lot of magnets. I bet the covers work well

Tee1970
Mar 14, 2011, 11:04 AM
This should be really cool for other uses too - like attaching your ipad to a music stand, wall in kitchen, car nagivation dashboard, etc, maybe just be able to have a magnetic holder that attaches to the ipad magnets?

You can just push your ipad into place and it stays due to the magnets. Should be awesome! Ready to go to next room, just pick it up and go!

xdhd350
Mar 14, 2011, 11:24 AM

I'm a southpaw. It's a non-issue because the cover can fold around behind the pad and remain attached.

Small White Car
You have to be kidding. The smart cover is what convinced you to buy the new ipad?

There was no good way to use an iPad 1 on a table. It was the main reason I couldn't convince myself to buy one.

This allows me to type on my iPad while sitting at a table. Sorry you don't see that as a huge advantage, but it really is.

And as I said earlier, I've kept a cover-free Macbook Pro safe for a couple of years now. I guess some people are rougher on their comptuers than I am, but I'm not worried about the back of the device at all.

inkhughes
Magnets - great idea, but what happens if you put your credit card, hotel room key, air tickets near your ipad/smart cover!

Surely this is a recipe which could result in the ipad is erasing magnetic strips on those items if they池e in contact with each other? :eek:

Any one willing to try mating their credit card with the case magnets, in the name of research :D

I did have two hotel key cards get demagnetized this weekend after having set them down on my Smart Cover without thinking about it. My credit and debit cards didn't have any problems though (those were kept in a wallet). For kicks, I tossed my campus ID card (which using a magnetic strip) onto the cover for about 15 - 20 minutes. It worked fine after that. So maybe the hotel just used a light charge or something. I don't know enough about magnets to be an expert on them. :D

ApplLover
Mar 14, 2011, 11:29 AM
It's a device that's meant to be used and handled. Does it matter?

YES it does matter, especially when the iPad 3 is most likely coming out this year and I will have to sell my iPad 2.

When you go to sell your iPad 2 you will find out that the difference between an EXCELLENT condition iPad with no scratches etc vs a "GOOD" Condition ipad is about 10-12% less in $$$.

So YES, I would say that it matters very much to me. Money does not grow on trees where I live.

Small White Car
Mar 14, 2011, 11:32 AM
Can the magnets support the weight of the iPad?

I wouldn't suggest doing this all the time, but yeah...it seems to!

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1589713/magnet.jpg

marjen
Mar 14, 2011, 11:36 AM
Wow this makes me nervous. I had MAJOR issues with my iphone 3GS when i FIRST GOT IT, in fact apple kept giving me new ones as they could not figure out the problem. The battery would drain real fast and after some time I could not make any calls without a restart. This was on 4-5 different phones. FInally working with an apple technician we figured out it was because my case had a magnetic latch. It was causing the compass to spin constantly and interfere with my signal and drain the battery, hope they really thought this one through.

OrangeSVTguy
Mar 14, 2011, 11:36 AM
A teardown of a cover! :eek:

Yeah amazing the nerds couldn't get enough from the iPad 2 teardown, they had to dissect the case too. Hehehe :D

I needz me mo dissectionz.

notjustjay
Mar 14, 2011, 11:37 AM
There was no good way to use an iPad 1 on a table. It was the main reason I couldn't convince myself to buy one.

Why do you say that? I use my iPad 1 on the table all the time, using Apple's black case. It's very stable, even when you raise the flap to the "wedge" position.

OrangeSVTguy
Mar 14, 2011, 11:41 AM

Good thing the iPad don't weigh that much :p. I wonder if a company is going to make a case like this but one that goes all the way around the iPad? Protection on both the front and back.

Small White Car
Mar 14, 2011, 11:43 AM
Why do you say that? I use my iPad 1 on the table all the time, using Apple's black case. It's very stable, even when you raise the flap to the "wedge" position.

Apple's black case = Not a 'good way'

Didn't like it. Didn't want it. Didn't have any other good ideas. Didn't buy an iPad.

I wonder if a company is going to make a case like this but one that goes all the way around the iPad?

I'm certain they will.

Apple always makes the simple solution and then other step in with grander ideas. People are judging everything based on this one cover.

By next year when they're are dozens of magnetic cases available I think people will say that including case-magnets was the iPad 2's greatest part.

NikeTalk
Mar 14, 2011, 11:45 AM
Overpriced just like "bumpers" no thanks.

ApplLover
Mar 14, 2011, 11:54 AM
In my opinion.. Apple has decided to make covers for a very simple reason..
Probably the margins on the iPads are not that great for them. So if you add in a $39.00 case that probably costs $1.50 to make.. then the margins become much more attractive..

How hard are Apple Store employees pushing these covers to customers? Would be nice to know..

CQd44
Mar 14, 2011, 11:54 AM

Hahaha, oh wow.

retroactiv
Mar 14, 2011, 12:00 PM
Good thing the iPad don't weigh that much :p. I wonder if a company is going to make a case like this but one that goes all the way around the iPad? Protection on both the front and back.

They sure are. Speck Pixelskin HD: Coming in April!

http://6.mshcdn.com/wp-content/gallery/ipad-2-cases/pixelskin.jpg

michaelz
Mar 14, 2011, 12:06 PM
I really like my cover a lot. Its so nifty and functional. Its a little overpriced (particularly the leather one), but I love it.

Overpriced? How much does your wife/grilfriend's purse cost? :D

ApplLover
Mar 14, 2011, 12:12 PM
They sure are. Speck Pixelskin HD: Coming in April!

http://6.mshcdn.com/wp-content/gallery/ipad-2-cases/pixelskin.jpg

Nice.. but Speck makes the most overpriced products in the market..

retroactiv
Mar 14, 2011, 12:17 PM
Nice.. but Speck makes the most overpriced products in the market..

Yeah they can be a little pricey, but this case might be worth it. I will pay to protect my $700 investment. I love the Smart Cover, but would like to have the back covered at all times.

For now it lives in a InCase Protective Sleeve for iPad....

Kwill
Mar 14, 2011, 12:18 PM
Miniot Cover (https://www.miniot.com/webshop/#) looks great and MSRP is about the same as Apple leather Smart Cover distribution may now be a problem with Miniot dealers based in Japan (https://www.miniot.com/webshop/?portlet=miniot&page=dealers&state=normal) and Korea.

Kwill
Mar 14, 2011, 12:29 PM
It is exciting to see manufacturers scramble to provide cases (http://reviews.cnet.com/2300-31747_7-10007008.html?s=0&o=10007008&tag=mncol;page) for the new iPad2. Offered with ($99.99) and without ($39.00) BT keyboard, this may be the most stylish case option available IMHO.

Kensington KeyFolio™ Bluetoothョ Keyboard Case for iPad & iPad 2 (http://us.kensington.com/formsApp/ktgALLFormTemp.jsp?siteId=2&pageId=17907) (K39336US; SRP $99.99)
The Kensington KeyFolio™ not only protects your iPad when on the road but also provides a handy rechargeable and wireless Bluetoothョ keyboard with handsfree stand when you reach your destination. The rubberized keys were specially designed to cushion your iPad screen from bumps and scratches when the folio is closed. The compact design offers easy port access, camera opening and supports the new thinner iPad 2.

Features include:

Rechargeable wireless Bluetoothョ keyboard with USB cable
Designed to accommodate new front & rear cameras & ready for FaceTime use
Landscape orientation great for iMovie for iPad
Protective edges to reduce damage and wear on your iPad
Flexible case that folds flat for immediate use
Lightweight, optimized for travel
Full access to all iPad controls including speaker and 30-pin connector
Fast action and spill-proof keys

nylonsteel
Mar 14, 2011, 12:48 PM
great design aapl - now watch the olther companies start to copy -

Dave00
Mar 14, 2011, 12:52 PM
This has potential to be a big problem for those of us with children. My 2-year-old LOVES the iPad, but I'd never let her near the smart cover. Those magnets get out (through chewing or just misuse) it's potentially deadly for a small child who swallows them. Guarantee you this winds up being an issue at some point.

Dave

Purdin
Mar 14, 2011, 12:58 PM

Yes you can. This was my big question too. I decided to buy one and try it and it folds around to the back very nicely. You can fold one flap back when you want to use the rear facing camera.

pablo7
Mar 14, 2011, 01:24 PM
Don't wear your favorite Expensive automatic watch around that thing with all those magnets it will f-up and magnetize your movement and your watch will run extremely fast.

Dillenger
Mar 14, 2011, 01:39 PM

But just think how healthy your wrists will be when you open and close it, you know that "miracle magnetic therapy." ;)

ten-oak-druid
Mar 14, 2011, 01:50 PM

I know. These companies charge so much. What do you think about the high prices of the xoom and the galaxy tablet? Ridiculous n'est-ce pas?

thefourthpope
Mar 14, 2011, 02:06 PM
Or just turn the device upside down. Sure, the home button isn't in the best place then but everything else in the UI will reorient.

Can't believe I didn't think of that :o. Thanks

somairotevoli
Mar 14, 2011, 02:19 PM
Will it stick to the refrigerator?

Tonewheel
Mar 14, 2011, 02:30 PM
Money does not grow on trees where I live.

Right. But you'll drop coin on an iPad 3 when you already own a perfectly good iPad 2.

Piggie
Mar 14, 2011, 02:31 PM

Indeed, it's amazing the amount of time an effort in design and manufacture to make something that does not work very well.

Tonewheel
Mar 14, 2011, 02:31 PM
This has potential to be a big problem for those of us with children. My 2-year-old LOVES the iPad, but I'd never let her near the smart cover. Those magnets get out (through chewing or just misuse) it's potentially deadly for a small child who swallows them. Guarantee you this winds up being an issue at some point.

Dave

You'd never let her near the cover, but let her near the iPad??

Piggie
Mar 14, 2011, 02:33 PM

Dave

Just an idea.

How about buying your 2 year old items to use designed for a 2 year old and not designed for an adult?
Do you think an iPad with a sheet of fragile and very dangerous thin glass on the front would ever pass any safety test for approval as a product for a young child?

notjustjay
Mar 14, 2011, 02:42 PM
Do you think an iPad with a sheet of fragile and very dangerous thin glass on the front would ever pass any safety test for approval as a product for a young child?

Certainly not in a totally unsupervised situation...

lllll
Mar 14, 2011, 02:44 PM
Continuous use of the magnetic cover will result in electronic damage by the magnets. Of course, the iPad was just lunch over the weekend and there are no reports of it yet, but wait until 3 months later. I guarantee you, your iPad will be damaged by the extensive use of the magnetic cover. :cool:

Mar 14, 2011, 02:44 PM
Looking good!

louis Fashion
Mar 14, 2011, 03:03 PM

a LITTLE overpriced?

louis Fashion
Mar 14, 2011, 03:08 PM

Funny.

My Patek Philppe hates magnets and it costs just about the same as these new iCovers.

notjustjay
Mar 14, 2011, 03:51 PM
Continuous use of the magnetic cover will result in electronic damage by the magnets. Of course, the iPad was just lunch over the weekend and there are no reports of it yet, but wait until 3 months later. I guarantee you, your iPad will be damaged by the extensive use of the magnetic cover. :cool:

Based on what grounds?

doctor-don
Mar 14, 2011, 03:56 PM

We've come a long way, baby.

I'm actually quite happy with my Apple iPad cover for the first iPad. It's very thin and functional. (My first one suffered from peeling issues, but Apple replaced it on the spot for me.)

If I buy an iPad 2 (or iPad 3) I'll need a similar full-body cover. I'm not convinced that I only want one layer on top of the screen without any consideration for the sides and back.

Don't be. That was only to protect floppy disks. Hard drives are technically susceptible to magnetic fields too but it takes a VERY large one to do any damage.

Once I took a 3.5-inch floppy and passed a large magnet over both side of it. But when I put it back into the disk drive, everything on the floppy was still accessible and still intact. Absolutely made me wonder everything we had been teaching our students.
末末末末末末
The TV (CRT) on the wall was affected by a magnet - at least, the image was affected. But then, I never put the magnet against the front of the TV, and it never remained close for more than a second. It was a demonstration of how the magnetic field would disrupt the stream of electrons in their travel to the front of the CRT.

Still ... I would hesitate to employ a bunch of magnets in the cover.
末末末末末末
So it goes to sleep when a sensor gets close to the cover? Sounds like a notebook going to sleep.

zea mays
Mar 14, 2011, 03:57 PM
Thank you for the link to that article. Now the question is:

Did Apple use neodymium magnets in the Smart Cover and/or iPad 2?

As for "hugging" the iPad.... Modern cardiac pacemakers are so small and so efficient, most patients simply "forget" that they've got one in their chest. By "forget", I mean you simply don't think about it on a daily routine basis. It is entirely too easy to get involved with doing your daily activities and then suddenly realize that, oops, you shouldn't be leaning over that running car motor as close as you are. Or, you pick up and carry a stereo loudspeaker across the room and you forget yourself and end up having it rest against your chest as you carry it.

Yes, I have a cardiac pacemaker and I've had one since I was 44 years old. My wife owns an iPad 1 with Apple's original cover and, a couple of times, I've been using it while I was in a recliner and then fell asleep, only to wake and find the iPad resting on my chest (the way you might fall asleep with a book in your hands). Should this same scenario happen with an iPad 2 (with or without the Smart Cover), I'd be concerned about issues with disrupting the pacemaker.

Mark

Your pacemaker should alarm if it's disarmed by a magnet, no? My nephew just had a ICD implanted and that is the way that his is set up. IOW, you would know before it should ever cause you a problem if you accidently got it near enough and it was strong enough to interfere. The magnets that they use to disarm my nephew's device are much, much stronger than anything they'd use for a case.

TigerWoodsIV
Mar 14, 2011, 04:23 PM

That said, it sucks that Apple made some of the more commonly-desired colors (black, red) leather-only. All the polyurethane cover colors except the gray seem more designed for the female sensibility while the more expensive leather has the manly men in mind. :mad:

That's why I bought a gray one lol.

mw360
Mar 14, 2011, 04:34 PM

Hmm, my MacBook Pro has magnets in the front latch (x3), in the magsafe adapter (x2), some are spinning the HD (x2) and the superdrive (x2), more moving the HD read/write head (x2) and the superdrive laser (x2) and yet more magnets driving the speakers (x4). 17 magnets right inside the sensitive parts, and It seems to be just fine.

And, I think you'll find it was the Xoom that was lunch over the weekend.

macalltheway
Mar 14, 2011, 04:38 PM
in response to people worried about the backs of their ipads:
I agree with some people in that the ipad doesnt necessarily need a back cover. the ipad is unlike the iphone (which I believe should have a cover) for a few reasons
1 the iphone backing is glass, while ipad's backing is aluminum
2 the ipad, though incredibly portable, is not meant to be carried around everywhere you go (for example you wouldnt go to the movies with your ipad)
3 id be hard pressed to find someone with a full cover on their mac computer, and in my opinion an ipad is more like a computer than an iphone
in conclusion i dont think a cover on the back of the ipad is necessary

MacAgnostic
Mar 14, 2011, 05:05 PM
in response to people worried about the backs of their ipads:
I agree with some people in that the ipad doesnt necessarily need a back cover. the ipad is unlike the iphone (which I believe should have a cover) for a few reasons
1 the iphone backing is glass, while ipad's backing is aluminum
2 the ipad, though incredibly portable, is not meant to be carried around everywhere you go (for example you wouldnt go to the movies with your ipad)
3 id be hard pressed to find someone with a full cover on their mac computer, and in my opinion an ipad is more like a computer than an iphone
in conclusion i dont think a cover on the back of the ipad is necessary
Wow, what a bizarre mix of false delima and strawman arguments.
What does an iPhone have to do with concerns of scratching the back of an iPad?
A Mac computer doesn't need a cover to prevent scratches when it is set on a surface because it has rubber feet that prevent the metal from touching. Some people would like similar protection.

ModestForumName
Mar 14, 2011, 05:14 PM
I showed my dad the smart cover and he says "what happened to not bringing magnets near a screen??" rofl

F$cking magnets, how do they work? Double rofl

Joking aside, I like the smart cover. The leather is super nice quality and smells amazing. I'm glad I chose to cover my iPad 2 with dead animal =] take that PETA :apple:

TigerWoodsIV
Mar 14, 2011, 05:21 PM
Wow, what a bizarre mix of false delima and strawman arguments.
What does an iPhone have to do with concerns of scratching the back of an iPad?
A Mac computer doesn't need a cover to prevent scratches when it is set on a surface because it has rubber feet that prevent the metal from touching. Some people would like similar protection.

While your point about the rubber feet is correct, many people compare the iPad to the original iPhone. He is right that the iPad should take less of a beating than a phone. Also, the cover can just be flipped to the back and you can use it around the house without putting it directly on another surface capable of scratching it, then if you put it in a bag or something cover the screen.

While I agree that some people would need more than just a cover, I think that people who are cautious should be fine. I for one love the lessened bulk considering I'm very careful with my tech products and don't really put them in situations that would warrant a full case too often.

Oh and is possible that Apple used so many magnets to prevent them from having to use more powerful magnets? Essentially, are a few more powerful magnets more dangerous to the SSD than many less powerful magnets or does it all just add up? Can't say I know much about magnets.

doctor-don
Mar 14, 2011, 07:16 PM
and, i think you'll find it was the xoom that was lunch over the weekend.

:D Good one. :D

psionic001
Mar 14, 2011, 07:40 PM
If this rests on top of my MacBook keyboard above where the hard disk is, is there a chance it could corrupt the drive?

I've done it before with a magnet!:eek:

scoobydoo99
Mar 14, 2011, 08:10 PM

I bought a new car. I'm concerned that driving it might leave it open to small scuffs/chips/abrasions from road debris/rocks/dust etc. I'm considering either sealing it in an airtight garage and never driving it or coating the entire vehicle with a 2" thick layer of black epoxy to protect it. Any thoughts on this? :rolleyes:

DeanSolecki
Mar 14, 2011, 08:30 PM

I'm a lefty and I would say it is a minor issue that only effects use when the cover is flipped to the back and you are holding the device with one hand. It is a little more comfortable in that situation to use your left hand to hold it (leaving your right hand free for input), but lefties are used to using things that have a hand bias and the answer is pretty simple and an Apple classic: Don't hold it that way.

faroZ06
Mar 14, 2011, 08:39 PM
So the iPad IS trying to kill the laptop!!! :eek: (with its magnets)

powers74
Mar 14, 2011, 08:46 PM
It folds nicely behind the ipad when in use and its does prop the iPad up nicely. A clean, minimalist product.

The fit and finish is very nice.

Sorry, not usually a grammar nazi, but that first one is just a huge pet peeve of mine!

Anyway, Smart Cover does look smart. I think I'll have to pick up an iPad eventually, but I need an iPhone first! Maybe iPad3.

LeoCastillo
Mar 14, 2011, 08:49 PM

Then simply hold the iPad with the home button on top.
Voila! Left handed cover!

Leo

powers74
Mar 14, 2011, 08:51 PM

Rotate iPad 180∘.

EDIT: oops repeat.

SandynJosh
Mar 14, 2011, 10:00 PM

Mind you, the Red Leather can only be gotten directly from Apple or an Apple retail store.

I find myself wondering, "What if Apple had chosen colors and names that reflected back to the old Bondi Blue or Tangerine. Would that have been really cool, or would people have been retching on their shoes?"

While I'm musing, I might as well throw this out here: Within days of Apple beginning to sell Brown iPad covers, Microsoft tosses in the towel on the Zune. Could the Earth being thrown off its axis not have a thing to do with an 8.9 quake in Japan?

SandynJosh
Mar 14, 2011, 10:15 PM
Oh and is possible that Apple used so many magnets to prevent them from having to use more powerful magnets? Essentially, are a few more powerful magnets more dangerous to the SSD than many less powerful magnets or does it all just add up? Can't say I know much about magnets.

Apple's magnets in their cover are not bi-polar like regular magnets, so they behave and only do what you want them to do. The magnets in the iPad are also designed to work with only the mono-polar cover magnets, so it's all good. This is a natural outcome of Apple's purchase of the Liquid Magnet Co. a few years back. ;)

vincenz
Mar 14, 2011, 10:17 PM
Never thought they'd tear one of these down.

SandynJosh
Mar 14, 2011, 10:19 PM
People are judging everything based on this one cover.

I agree. People are even judging the iPad by this one cover and refusing to buy the iPad. Sad, isn't it?

Axell
Mar 14, 2011, 11:00 PM
I would think that the magnets would screw up the compass. Does anyone have any first hand experience with this?

I think so too, I have an iPad 1 and got a case with magnetic latch and the compass always had interference, couldn't use it until I got it a case without magnets

Can anyone confirm if these magnets affect the magnetometer??

Mark Booth
Mar 14, 2011, 11:12 PM
Your pacemaker should alarm if it's disarmed by a magnet, no? My nephew just had a ICD implanted and that is the way that his is set up. IOW, you would know before it should ever cause you a problem if you accidently got it near enough and it was strong enough to interfere. The magnets that they use to disarm my nephew's device are much, much stronger than anything they'd use for a case.

There's no speaker built into my pacemaker so, no, it won't "alarm". :)

When a magnet is placed near the pacemaker at just the right spot (and just the right amount of magnetic force in the magnet), it sends the pacemaker into a test mode. The pacemaker manufacturer supplies the magnet for this testing. It is used to do periodic checks of your pacemaker over the telephone. The manufacturer also supplies an acoustical modem with wrist straps. You place the straps on your wrists and place the telephone receiver in the modem cradle. Upon placing the magnet over the pacemaker, it kicks the pacemaker into a test mode and the pacemaker increases the heart rate to 100 beats per minute. That is, as long as you have a full enough battery in your pacemaker. When the battery starts getting close to end of life, the magnet will only cause the pacemaker to kick up to, say, 90 beats a minute. When the monitoring station sees this decrease in BPM with the magnet, they know it is time to schedule surgery to have a replacement pacemaker implanted.

Again, that's with a magnet DESIGNED for such use with the pacemaker. If you get too strong of a magnetic field near the pacemaker, it can cause the pacemaker to be reset into default mode (default parameters). Every patient's pacemaker is programmed for their specific situation. Some people are pacemaker dependent. If the pacemaker gets kicked into default mode, it can be quite dangerous for people who are pacemaker dependent.

Per the article that was linked earlier in the thread, neodymium magnets can interfere with pacemakers. So, my question has to be... Did Apple use neodymium magnets in the Smart Cover or the iPad 2?

Mark

Powerbooky
Mar 15, 2011, 01:05 AM

It depends... My Powerbook also has a magnet somewhere on the back of the screen, used for the closing mechanism. It did destroy the magnetic strip on some debit-cards. Happened while carrying my Powerbook and cards in the same backpack. But maybe the iPad cover magnets aren't that strong enough?
In the past I occasionally had to wipe a bunch of floppy discs using a machine that erases everything from compact audio cassettes up to big size broadcast tapes (betacam, 1 inch and 2 inch tapes). That thing has really powerful magnets inside. Nevertheless after one or two wipe runs, some floppies or even ZIP-discs were still perfectly readable.

Macinthetosh
Mar 15, 2011, 02:40 AM
The cover really works very nicely. It puts the iPad in a perfect position for typing on your lap.

marksman
Mar 15, 2011, 05:48 AM

Nonsense! I used to hang 5.25" floppies on the refrig with magnets...

Come to think of it though a lot of them seemed to be empty...

sircharlo
Mar 15, 2011, 08:06 AM
It turns out that the cover doesn't work nearly as well once you take out the magnets, steel plate, and plastic structural supports.

Sigged lol :D

Dave00
Mar 15, 2011, 08:15 AM
You'd never let her near the cover, but let her near the iPad??
Yes, iPad is phenomenal for toddlers, at least, if they're not the type to throw things. They have interactive stories, language builders, educational games. No danger to my child, as I imagine it'd be awful hard to get the magnets out of the iPad. But the cover? I haven't seen one in person, but I'd imagine getting to the magnets just requires a sharp set of teeth.

Dave00
Mar 15, 2011, 08:26 AM
Just an idea.

How about buying your 2 year old items to use designed for a 2 year old and not designed for an adult?
You must not have children. :)

There are thousands of apps designed specifically for children. My 2-year-old is learning Spanish from the iPad. She can navigate to our photos and home videos that she likes, or read a book.

I'd never get an iPad just for the kids, but my goodness, there's lots of wonderful things on it for them.

marksman
Mar 15, 2011, 09:26 AM

Wow. You clearly have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. There's even a photograph in this thread (post #59) demonstrating that you're wrong. I'm holding an iPad with the cover wrapped around the back. That is how wrong you are. Congrats on being totally wrong.

The smart cover is genius because it CAN cover the back when it's sitting downnbeing used, and it ocovers the screen when your transporting it. On top of it neing an awesome stand. it's perfect.

I was going to tell him that but you did it first and better. Blorzoga clearly has no idea how this cover is designed, and more importantly he doesn't understand the common and most normal usage and means of protections any sort of cases have for these devices.

iamstevenobs
Mar 15, 2011, 09:50 AM
If not,.. then I will. Netbooks have a cover designed in from the ground up, not added as an afterthought. Its a feature of having a clamshell design that lets the keyboard and screen be protected from minor scratches, knocks, etc, and then just like magic allows the screen to be viewed and the REAL keyboard accessed.

Yes.. I believe Steve is kicking himself for not having the balls to claim that Apple invented the clamshell or the netbook. He has instead to push this stupid cover to make up for the design shortcomings of a tablet. Lucky he is such as whizz at marketing and so many fanbois will spend spend spend because they think it fills the void in their life, and the compromise of typing on a touchscreen held at a usuable angle by this contraption is not as great as having to use a netbook. By the way, how much thicker is the ipad2 than the ipad when you attach the cover Steve? And $39 more expensive too. :D

marksman
Mar 15, 2011, 10:33 AM

Dave

Your child is going to eat through your iPad cover?

Don't wear your favorite Expensive automatic watch around that thing with all those magnets it will f-up and magnetize your movement and your watch will run extremely fast.

People under 65 should not be wearing watches.

Sorry, not usually a grammar nazi, but that first one is just a huge pet peeve of mine!

Good thing you are not, because you suck at it. If you are going to take the time to point out grammar issues, at least be correct on what you are doing.

Dave00
Mar 15, 2011, 11:08 AM
Your child is going to eat through your iPad cover?

Apparently, you don't have children. They like to chew on things. Find a toddler's household that doesn't have books, papers, etc with gnawed-on edges. Now add in the possibility of a household having a dog or cat, and the likelihood of these tiny magnets getting into the hands of a young one is magnified. A child swallows two magnets, which attract each other through small bowel walls, causing obstruction and death. It happens, and I'm concerned about it happening with the iPad cover.

mrsir2009
Mar 15, 2011, 12:15 PM

Ah yes, back in the 90s when kids used to put magnets up to their CRT screens to distort the colours :D

CRT monitors and floppy disk drives are the only things that magnets can hurt - The iPad 2 contains none of those.

Oh, and the MacBook Pro's also contain magnets to latch the lid shut and the old white iMacs has magnets to attach the remote to the side of the computer. No harm was done there ;)

mrsir2009
Mar 15, 2011, 12:24 PM
Apparently, you don't have children. They like to chew on things. Find a toddler's household that doesn't have books, papers, etc with gnawed-on edges. Now add in the possibility of a household having a dog or cat, and the likelihood of these tiny magnets getting into the hands of a young one is magnified. A child swallows two magnets, which attract each other through small bowel walls, causing obstruction and death. It happens, and I'm concerned about it happening with the iPad cover.

Get the leather one - Leather is very hard to penetrate isn't it? And it'll probably have some sort of chemical on it that'll taste disgusting.

LightSpeed1
Mar 25, 2011, 12:17 AM
I'm on my second already. The first was polyurethane, Held up well but the dried up baby drool on it looks horrible after time. Leather is doing a lot better. The teeth marks go away after a couple hours, sometimes days. As far as the drool, it wipes right off.

George Knighton
Mar 25, 2011, 07:20 AM

My thoughts are that we'll be putting the iPad face down on the desk instead of whatever we're doing now.

:-)

George Knighton
Mar 25, 2011, 07:25 AM
a LITTLE overpriced?

LOL.... Yeah, but what can you do. The high quality imitations are still some ways off. :-)

Something I'll enjoy, I think, is how much thinner the iPad 2 with cover will be, compared to how thick the iPad 1 with ZooGue becomes. The ZooGue is great, but it does thicken up an iPad considerably.

The new iPad cover looks like it'll do basically the same stand up routine that the ZooGue does, but without any increased girth to speak of. The only thing I'll miss is that I was in the habit of sticking an occasional, important piece of paper into the ZooGue.

My iPad (1) experience has also taught me that I will need nothing close to 64GB of storage on my iPad (2). :-)

PwcrLinux
Apr 26, 2011, 04:03 AM
Ah yes, back in the 90s when kids used to put magnets up to their CRT screens to distort the colours :D

CRT monitors and floppy disk drives are the only things that magnets can hurt - The iPad 2 contains none of those.

Oh, and the MacBook Pro's also contain magnets to latch the lid shut and the old white iMacs has magnets to attach the remote to the side of the computer. No harm was done there ;)

Oh yea!, I saw my TV tech doing check on my tube tv. A tech pulls out the big magnet. Whoa! I told tech guy "Please don't put the mag near my cable box's hard drive", so he placed "Anti-Mag" protection over my cable box, so then he start the mag testing over the tube screen for a color and screen straighten out.

The magnet can damage to the cable box hard drive.