Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Skilz34

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2003
I have a Ti G4 15" 1Ghz, 256kb L2 and 1MB L3. Has the TA-66 HD Interface and PC-100 ram. Got it in July '03.

I've been wanting the 12" PB for a while and am considering selling my PB now because I have a handful of folks interested in it.

So my question is, how much better is the 12" v. the 15" specifically in the means of running ableton live for recording? Also, is it powerful enough for mixing?

If portability wasn't an issue, what is the best option, iMac or PowerMac?

I have posted in the ableton forum and a gentleman gave me this advice:

"on average the 1ghz TiBooks scored a 70% in the Live 4 Performance Test.
i've got one of the new 1.5ghz 12" PB's and it scores a 48%.
thats a 45% overall performance gain. so, depending on what you do it may or may not be a huge leap forward.

If your sets are currently bumping up around 70% in the live cpu meter, then you could expect them to stay under 50% on a new PB and if you're happy with that increased headroom then go for it. (or 35% to 25%, etc.)

thats just with regards to CPU. there are also other huge benefits with getting a newer aluminum powerbook. For one, your Tibook has an ATA-66 HD Interface and PC-100 ram, the newer PB's have ATA-100 HD's (5400rpm as well) and faster double data rate DDR333 ram. In the end that means more tracks of audio for you and a faster overall "feel" of the computer. So while processor wise it will only be 45 or 50% faster, it will "feel" twice as fast."

so with that said, anyone got any ideas!??!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.