Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

takitaki

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
Hi

I just got my MBA 11" 2 weeks ago and already managed to spill some wine on it. Yep, I'm great, I know this.

So, I switched it off immediately. As soon as I could (next day), I blasted some non lubricant contact cleaner on keyboard and decided to keep it off to dry for few days. However, few hours later it just switched on by itself and kept on booting up again and again when I tried to shut it down (the cooler worked really hard at that time). So I left it like it was.
The next morning I finally could switched it off and left it for another day.

Today I booted it up and have some issues. Keyboard is fine (surprisingly) and all the rest also works perfectly except the power button.
1. I can boot it up with the power button only if MBA unplugged. If it is plugged, the power button does not respond.
2. When it switched on, there is also no response on power button. So when I press it, nothing happens. So I can shut it down only through menu. Pressing power button for 5 sec also has no effect at all.

On the other hand, I am able to switch in on with the power button if it is unplugged... so there is some response at least.

Extended hardware test showed no problems detected.

Is it a PMU chip, what do you think? If it is, is it easy to replace?
Off course I could use it like it is now, but if fixing is not a big deal I would obviously prefer my MBA to be almost like new again.

Thanks in advance for your answers.
And please do not tell me i'm a complete idiot, I know it myself better than you all.

Cheers

nightwolf

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2005
Ontario, CANADA
alcohol spill

Hi

I just got my MBA 11" 2 weeks ago and already managed to spill some wine on it. Yep, I'm great, I know this.

So, I switched it off immediately. As soon as I could (next day), I blasted some non lubricant contact cleaner on keyboard and decided to keep it off to dry for few days. However, few hours later it just switched on by itself and kept on booting up again and again when I tried to shut it down (the cooler worked really hard at that time). So I left it like it was.
The next morning I finally could switched it off and left it for another day.

Today I booted it up and have some issues. Keyboard is fine (surprisingly) and all the rest also works perfectly except the power button.
1. I can boot it up with the power button only if MBA unplugged. If it is plugged, the power button does not respond.
2. When it switched on, there is also no response on power button. So when I press it, nothing happens. So I can shut it down only through menu. Pressing power button for 5 sec also has no effect at all.

On the other hand, I am able to switch in on with the power button if it is unplugged... so there is some response at least.

Extended hardware test showed no problems detected.

Is it a PMU chip, what do you think? If it is, is it easy to replace?
Off course I could use it like it is now, but if fixing is not a big deal I would obviously prefer my MBA to be almost like new again.

Thanks in advance for your answers.
And please do not tell me i'm a complete idiot, I know it myself better than you all.

Cheers

I did the same only with rhum and coke... the people at Apple said there was liquid damage and even my 300.00 warranty didn't make a dent. damages were 600.00 :confused:

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
From my experience getting cell phones wet, you want to get the battery out as soon as possible and open the unit up to dry out. Obviously, not immediately possible with an MBA due to the backing being shut tight with 5-pt screws. If you could, buy the tool, get the backing off, take out the battery, and set the unit in a cloth covering and cover with rice, yes-- rice, to help dry it out. Leave for a few days to a week, and after that, see if it will operate normally. I would at least try this before taking it to Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.