Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BLDun

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2005
I have a PowerMac G5 and an ibook G4. I installed airport extreme cards on both. Also purchased an airport express. When I first installed it, it seemed to work OK. Dropped the signal every couple of days and I would have to reset the cable modem and begin over. (incidently, I am a complete novice at the wireless/airport stuff) Now, I can't seem to even get a signal from the modem to the express. I have talked to the cable people numerous times and every check they do on the modem says OK. In fact, if I hook it up direct to either computer it works great. When I hook up the express, I can never get a green light, no matter what I do. I have reset it, and the cable people are no help, in fact they lectured me about how they can't be responsible for a network they didn't set up and how I should pay them to come and do the set up for me. RIGHT! Am I doing something wrong? Can someone walk me through the process? Is it possible that the express is bad??? I have only had it about a month. Is there a way to check it?? Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!

Applespider

macrumors G4
Have you tried unplugging both (from the wall), waiting a few minutes and then plugging in the modem until it gets its IP address and connects with appropriate lights, then connecting modem to Express and turning that on?

It might just be that the Express isn't getting the lease appropriately? When did the problems start? I've heard a few people had problems just after installing 10.3.8 but haven't heard any solutions.

BLDun

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2005
Yea, I have unplugged them both so many time to reset them that I can practically do it in my sleep. The cable modem will show all four green lights and if I hook it up directly to the computer the yellow blinking light, indicating computer activity, will come on. But if i go through the process and hook it to the airport express the yellow light never comes on and the indicator light on the express will only blink yellow and never green. I haven't done any updates as far as the OS goes. I have been running 10.3.8 for quite a while before I bought the express.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.