Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cyberheart

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
Cyberspace
I choose parallels i have used it for a month and i say its the best way to run windows on a mac. Before i have tried to run windows with boot camp and i just had too many problems with it.. With VMware it was making my system slow... Reply with your opinion on what you think ...

Last edited:

waynep

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2009
I am using VirtualBox 4.0.4 at the moment. The price was right. I used the VMware Fusion 30 day trial. Had great luck with it, but not $80 better than I am having with VirtualBox. It's working fine for my needs. I just run Quicken and Personal Ancestry File on a Win 7 virtual machine.

Moomba

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2008
Charlotte, NC
I've tried all three, but settled on VMware. Parallels worked decently, but it wasn't for me. Fusion was more what I was looking for overall.

AFPoster

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Do you have to own a PC to use VMware Fusion? From what I am reading you install an app on your PC and your mac "cloud" connects to it. This true? I'd rather just buy a windows disk and install it on a mac and be on my merry way.

manymanyfish

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2009
VM Ware Fusion all the way!

I bought parallels when I first got my MPB but it slowed down my system and I didn't like most of the tools, etc.

At some point VM Ware was offering $20 to buy if you switched from parallels to Fusion, so I did. Love it!

And no you don't have to own a PC to use it you just install windows on a partition, or in boot camp if you wish(the great thing is it can open a boot camp partition while in Mac OS X so you never have to leave your lovely Mac to do anything with Windows.

You will have to buy a copy of Windows if you want to run it legally although it will install from a disk image if you download one.

It's basically just perfect.
Now I only use it as a testing ground to make sure files or programs I've downloaded don't have malware before sending them to a Windows user but if you really need to run Windows on your Mac VM Ware Fusion is the way to go!

Cyberheart

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
Cyberspace
Do you have to own a PC to use VMware Fusion? From what I am reading you install an app on your PC and your mac "cloud" connects to it. This true? I'd rather just buy a windows disk and install it on a mac and be on my merry way.

you can go either way but i wouldnt use the cloud though but thats my opinion i dont know much about the cloud so i dont use it...

I have a mac and i put VM on it..

but if you like you can have a PC and VMs to put other OSes on it too

Cyberheart

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
Cyberspace
VM Ware Fusion all the way!

I bought parallels when I first got my MPB but it slowed down my system and I didn't like most of the tools, etc.

At some point VM Ware was offering $20 to buy if you switched from parallels to Fusion, so I did. Love it!

And no you don't have to own a PC to use it you just install windows on a partition, or in boot camp if you wish(the great thing is it can open a boot camp partition while in Mac OS X so you never have to leave your lovely Mac to do anything with Windows.

You will have to buy a copy of Windows if you want to run it legally although it will install from a disk image if you download one.

It's basically just perfect.
Now I only use it as a testing ground to make sure files or programs I've downloaded don't have malware before sending them to a Windows user but if you really need to run Windows on your Mac VM Ware Fusion is the way to go!

I had the same problem when i first got parallels but over time i guess the slow down went away and my machine is normal i guess the system created some caches to make the machine faster....

Shivetya

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
Well I am ready to try something new. I have Parallels 6.0 and the last update destroyed the ability for my Windows 7 VM to run games. Hell, the Parallels 6 tools won't install after "their" update. Their support forums are a joke.

So how well does Fusion handle 3d games? I am looking to run LOTRO, EQ2, and a few other Windows only MMOs. I dislike having to bootcamp just to do it.

Before the update I was able to run ANY game in a Parallels session. Now that is impossible. To top it off they screwed up 7 bad enough that when I go to bootcamp it takes 3 boots to get the sign on as it has failed updates that try to apply and revert.

I used to be a Parallels supporter and encouraged people to try it, not anymore. Its fine till it breaks then your stuck just deleting the VM and hoping the next one you create works. Support, yeah, that is a joke too.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
Parallels was fine when I first started using it, but after upgrading to version 5 it became unbearably slow. One of my friends recently switched from Parallels to VMware and has no regrets.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.