PDA

View Full Version : Downgrade from Lion (Second Machine, Files Backed Up)

JohnnyGoesHome
Mar 15, 2011, 06:36 AM
I installed Lion (Developer Build) on my second machine shortly after it's release. I wanted to see how iOS was being implemented with Apple's traditional thinking of the Desktop.

I now wish to downgrade Lion and reinstall Snow Leopard. All the files on the second machine running Lion are backed up (not using Time Machine). However when I attempt to boot from the Snow Leopard installation disc and complete an erase and install, the machine hangs indefinitely. Nor can I restore from the desktop it seems.

How can I downgrade back to Snow Leopard?

Thanks,

John

Note: I am a registered Apple developer.

/user/me
Mar 15, 2011, 11:12 AM
I installed Lion (Developer Build) on my second machine shortly after it's release. I wanted to see how iOS was being implemented with Apple's traditional thinking of the Desktop.

I now wish to downgrade Lion and reinstall Snow Leopard. All the files on the second machine running Lion are backed up (not using Time Machine). However when I attempt to boot from the Snow Leopard installation disc and complete an erase and install, the machine hangs indefinitely. Nor can I restore from the desktop it seems.

How can I downgrade back to Snow Leopard?

Thanks,

John

Note: I am a registered Apple developer.

How different is the kernel? If it's significantly different, then the files from Lion might not transfer to snow leopard. I'm thinking at this point, you'll have to use the disk utility to format and erase the hard drive. At this point, you should be able to use your Snow Leopard discs.

JohnnyGoesHome
Mar 15, 2011, 12:59 PM
How different is the kernel? If it's significantly different, then the files from Lion might not transfer to snow leopard. I'm thinking at this point, you'll have to use the disk utility to format and erase the hard drive. At this point, you should be able to use your Snow Leopard discs.

This is the problem, I am not concerned with preserving my files, however I cannot access Disk Utility when I boot the Mac. The machine hangs on the white screen with apple logo.

Does anyone know how I can do an erase/install on Lion? Either before booting or from the Desktop itself?

Thanks

JohnnyGoesHome
Mar 16, 2011, 06:41 PM
Anyone?

How can I erase the partition containing Lion?

ssmed
Mar 16, 2011, 06:54 PM
Anyone?

How can I erase the partition containing Lion?

What about putting this Mac into Target disk mode and erasing from the other machine.

krown89
Mar 23, 2011, 01:12 AM
I'm in the same boat you are, however I still haven't been able to install Snow Leopard. I'm afraid we're stuck until the actual release is out. However if you still want to try this is what I did. Since you have Lion installed it will not read the SL disk, I guess because it older than what you have. What you need to do is burn the Lion dmg file to a DVD. I used Toast Titanium. You can also do the boot from a USB trick. Put the disk or USB in your machine and when you start up your mac hold option. Showing you whether you want to boot from HD, USB or DVD whichever you chose. Select the other of course and it'll be just like using your install disk, you'll be able to access Disk Utility among other things. Hope this helps!

Krown