Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

forsakengod23

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2011
So i'd like to change the hard drive of my ibook g4 and i'd like to get some feedback from people who already did it.Is it as hard as some website says ?

Second question : i presently have a 40gb 4200 rpm with 2mb cache . Would i see any performance gain in real-life if i changed it to a 160gb 5400 with 8mb cache ? Which hard drive model would you suggest?

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
not that hard...just use ifixit web site....(i also take pics as i go along)

as for the harddrive...it will make a big difference (i changed my old 30 gig one in a mac mini to a 160 gig) before running leopard was a pain...afterwards it ran good

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
The performance will definitely be noticeable.

Once you've done it enough times, it becomes easy. I had it down to less than 1/2 hour to change them out. Just keep track of your screws and you'll be alright.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
As mentioned above, use iFixit, it is an excellent resource. Keep track of the screws, be patient, and it it should be a pretty straightforward process. Performance should be noticeably better with the new drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.