Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stoid

macrumors 601
Certainly confirms that as expected Longhorn is going to wind up being little more than a rehashing of Windows XP. Figures. Apple went through it with OS 8 and 9, so I suppose that MS is allowed similar re-hashings in in XP and now Longhorn. I think that Longhorn will be a monumental failure, and MS will finally break the backwards compatibility that's strangling them and re-write and OS that more closely matches today's reality.

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
really catchy!!!

is it me or does an expedition make you think of a treck (a long hard journey), so implying that longhorn will be one big struggle from start to finish with all sorts of obstacles (virii + malware) and problems (programme crashes) to get around!

honestly, it really is a rubbish name!

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
It is a good name like Longhorn. e-XPedition sounds like Windows is a long journey with lots of surprises along the way. I never know when you might have to reinstall again. Longhorn just sounds like you are going to have to wait a long time and it will always be a non-shipping product.

e-XPedition sounds like you are going to get something and not have wait. A new [XP] [edition] with additional [e]mail support or super [e]asy or getting a newer version of Windows [e]arlier. Heck, they can just change XP with some color tweaks and repackage it with a new version of Media Player, add some library changes and sell it. Works with up to 80% of all the Windows XP software titles. It would be able to ship by the end of 2006.

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
BornAgainMac said:
...Heck, they can just change XP with some color tweaks and repackage it with a new version of Media Player, add some library changes and sell it. Works with up to 80% of all the Windows XP software titles. It would be able to ship by the end of 2006.

That's a good description of the progression of the windows family up until now. Win95>98>2000>XP. Just toss in too many useless features, too many steps to do something, clutter the screen with 50,000,000,000 icons and up the system requirements and you've got a new version of windows!

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
Frankly, I think they should ship it under the name Longhorn. They could even create a cartoon character to sell it: Foghorn Longhorn.

foghorn.jpg

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
it's really not a BAD name

There have been worse, there have been better. I see the name and I thought this was going to be an operating system for the new iPC (designed primarily for getting on line), as opposed to a heavy beast. And it sounds less like code and more like a word - that should have appeal for the biggest personal consumer - average Joe. I figure the ones that matter - businesses - they don't care.

Oh one last thing that makes this somewhat nice - it incorporates the old XP name (which may not be a good thing with all the recent problems) and is still a new name that can be set apart easily enough. I do know some people that can't remember if they have jaguar or panther or some other cat - it was the one in the black box and a silver X.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
stoid said:
Certainly confirms that as expected Longhorn is going to wind up being little more than a rehashing of Windows XP. Figures. Apple went through it with OS 8 and 9, so I suppose that MS is allowed similar re-hashings in in XP and now Longhorn.

But it didn't take Apple 6 years to make OS 9...

wide

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2004
NYC
Didn't msoft actually have an ad campaign based on Windows XP being the "eXPerienced" way to go?

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
Why not implement LongHorns feature set into Windows 2000? XP was one of the worst experiences for most x86 users, though the eye candy helped lure them into buying, upgrading and using it. ;) :)

Windows 2000+ :D

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
My vote for a name....

Microsoft Useless Pile O' ***** 2048 (well thats reasonable to expect when it'll come out, aint it?)

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
Its not hard to pronounce, they wrote it so you would understand the next paragraph

It is rumored to be:

Microsoft Windows Expedition

They wrote it like e-XPedition to show it has e-, XP, and edition in it...

Just like with Windows XP before it was introduced, and on the box:

Windows eXPerience.

Even though they shortened it/remade it so it was: XP-The Windows Experience.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
kettle said:
at last.... ...Windows eXPletive - you'll be fecking lost for words my son.

Well, eXPletives will be the most common words used when using Longhorn...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.