Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoelMarcey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Northern California
I called a local Apple Store today and asked if they had any 4GB MBA models in stock. They said no, but I could buy a 2GB model and they could add 2GB at the store in like 20 minutes.

I could just be slow today -- but how are they doing that? Are they doing on-the-fly memory soldering or something? Is there 4GB already there physically and they are just activating the extra 2GB somehow? Or were they just wrong?

PeterKG

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2003
I called a local Apple Store today and asked if they had any 4GB MBA models in stock. They said no, but I could buy a 2GB model and they could add 2GB at the store in like 20 minutes.

I could just be slow today -- but how are they doing that? Are they doing on-the-fly memory soldering or something? Is there 4GB already there physically and they are just activating the extra 2GB somehow? Or were they just wrong?

Another Apple retail employee who doesn't know their product. They have a lot of them. I think they spend most of their time in tattoo parlors or places getting piercings. I think Apple has loosened the hiring requirements.

JoelMarcey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Northern California
Another Apple retail employee who doesn't know their product. They have a lot of them. I think they spend most of their time in tattoo parlors or places getting piercings. I think Apple has loosened the hiring requirements.

I was actually ready to head over there tomorrow until I sat and thought about it for a second. Unless they have boards or hidden MBA's in the back, they know a magic I don't understand to make the upgrade happen. :)

christophermdia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2008
I bet they replace the entire logic board, would take them no time at all and its a swap and go deal, same ssd is retained so it will boot up like normal

fyrefly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2004
I bet they replace the entire logic board, would take them no time at all and its a swap and go deal, same ssd is retained so it will boot up like normal

Oh, yeah I'm sure they just pop into the back and swap out the logic board.

This NINE page ifixit guide makes it seem like it'll take no time at all!

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/MacBook-Air-11-Inch-Model-A1370-Logic-Board-Replacement/4394/1

;)

Seriously. The Apple store CANNOT upgrade the MacBook Air's RAM in store. IT's SOLDERED to the motherboard. They often have 4GB RAM (usually only "ultimate") configurations available, already BTO'd in the factory. That is all.

mgartner0622

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2010
Colorado, USA
Unless your local store happens to have a BGA Reball/soldering machine of some sort to de-solder and re-solder new ram, which would be pointless, I really doubt they can. :rolleyes:

Another case of a genius not being trained in the Air product line.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.