PDA

View Full Version : Dlink router + G4 = no internet!

ezkirk
Feb 22, 2005, 03:48 AM
I have just bought a Dlink DL624+ wireless router to use with my G4. I have no Airport card so I am connecting the router to the G4 with wires (and hoping to add my G3 to the router and allow the two macs to see each other). My problem is that as soon as I plug the router into the G4 I lose my internet! In the network prefs panel it recognises that the router is plugged in and the green light indicates that the internet is there, but none of my browsers or mail apps can connect, what is wrong?

Please treat me as an idiot as I'm a designer, not a IT man!

redeye be
Feb 22, 2005, 04:41 AM
I have just bought a Dlink DL624+ wireless router to use with my G4. I have no Airport card so I am connecting the router to the G4 with wires (and hoping to add my G3 to the router and allow the two macs to see each other). My problem is that as soon as I plug the router into the G4 I lose my internet! In the network prefs panel it recognises that the router is plugged in and the green light indicates that the internet is there, but none of my browsers or mail apps can connect, what is wrong?

Check out your TCP/IP settings @ system preferences. Look for ethernet and DHCP.
This should help (can't be more precise as i don't have X (yet)).

If it didn't do the trick:
How do you connect to the internet with your G4?
Would you use the same connection for the router?
what does your router manual say to be the default ip of the router (prolly something like 192.168... or 10.0....)

Good luck

ezkirk
Feb 22, 2005, 10:43 PM
I did everything the router told me to and the Network prefs seemed to go along with it... it could either be a DNS issue (of which I know nothing about) or my ISP maybe only allows one connection for the internet supply (is this possible?)

redeye be
Feb 23, 2005, 03:56 AM
I did everything the router told me to and the Network prefs seemed to go along with it... it could either be a DNS issue (of which I know nothing about)
You've got the DNS addresses from your ISP. Open a terminal and type:
ping <ip_of_dns>
If it doesn't respond something like "timed out" and gives u a roundtrip time, you do have an internet connection running and should indeed check the DNS settings on al your machines.

or my ISP maybe only allows one connection for the internet supply (is this possible?)
If you're behind a router (and they can't log in to it), you're safe. Just be sure to set up NAT on the router, but that's prolly default.

If it didn't do the trick:
How do you connect to the internet with your G4?
Would you use the same connection for the router?
what does your router manual say to be the default ip of the router (prolly something like 192.168... or 10.0....)

Good luck