PDA

View Full Version : Help! Big Pre-Warranty Expiry Whinge-a-thon!

chrisinoz86
Feb 22, 2005, 05:35 AM
Hey everyone (first post ever yay!) I just had a few questions that maybe you MacGeniuses out there could answer, because I can't get a straight answer (read "Answer AT ALL") from Apple about this.

I have a Rev. A PowerBook G4 12" that I bought with a student discount, and a 3 year warranty. It's getting pretty close to expiry now, and I've noticed some interesting problems with my trusty PB. Firstly, the palmrests are starting to pit (the finish deteriorates both on the panel and around the edges (eEEK!)). It seems to be a common problem with the earlier PB's but I don't know Apple's position on replacement/repair under warranty (I'm a student - if it ain't free or cheap I'm screwed). Secondly, the sound drops out occasionally (the speakers 'pop' then stop working) when the PB is tilted on an odd angle - i.e. on your LAP...which is not good. Third and finally, the internal fan doesn't seem to switch off anymore - I have to put the computer to sleep before I can at night (and it's not the Aussie temperature, my PB lives in air con and is kept clean)
Is this a common thing with Rev.A PowerBooks? And has anyone approached Apple about fixing the pitting problems (more specifically in Australia).

My other question is about my iPod (okay...now I sound like a typical AppleCentre customer) the clicker isn't working through the speaker. If I took my iPod in for repair, would it likely be a replacement rather than repair? (just because my 'Pod stores a LOT of notes from uni and video graphics as well as music and it would be deeply insanely difficult to squeeze it all back onto my PowerBook)

Cheers and Thanks! (Sorry if the post ran a bit long)

Chris! :rolleyes:

varmit
Feb 22, 2005, 06:46 AM
Firstly, the palmrests are starting to pit (the finish deteriorates both on the panel and around the edges (eEEK!)). It seems to be a common problem with the earlier PB's but I don't know Apple's position on replacement/repair under warranty (I'm a student - if it ain't free or cheap I'm screwed).

Well, they don't fix that, because its due to use, not something breaking.

Secondly, the sound drops out occasionally (the speakers 'pop' then stop working) when the PB is tilted on an odd angle - i.e. on your LAP...which is not good.

Yeah, you might want to get that checked out.

Third and finally, the internal fan doesn't seem to switch off anymore - I have to put the computer to sleep before I can at night (and it's not the Aussie temperature, my PB lives in air con and is kept clean)
Is this a common thing with Rev.A PowerBooks? And has anyone approached Apple about fixing the pitting problems (more specifically in Australia).

Yeah, you might want to get that checked out too.

My other question is about my iPod (okay...now I sound like a typical AppleCentre customer) the clicker isn't working through the speaker. If I took my iPod in for repair, would it likely be a replacement rather than repair? (just because my 'Pod stores a LOT of notes from uni and video graphics as well as music and it would be deeply insanely difficult to squeeze it all back onto my PowerBook)

Cheers and Thanks! (Sorry if the post ran a bit long)

Chris! :rolleyes:

What do you mean the clicker is not working? Do you mean when you are scrolling, the click sound is no longer made all the time, or just when plugged into with a headphone jack to large speakers, or when its docked? Because if its docked, it might not do the normal clicking sound. If its not making sound all together, then you might have set the iPod to not makes sounds, which is in the Setup Menu of the iPod. If that doesn't work, maybe save your information off it, and do a restore of the iPod software.

Your iPod, if 4th generation, will most likely get fixed if need be, but will also have the information wiped from it to eliminate any possiblity of a software problem. So back up your stuff that you have on it before taking it in.

chrisinoz86
Feb 22, 2005, 07:01 AM
Thanks for your advice varmit,
Yes, I've tried to get the iPod's internal (i.e. onboard speaker) working through the software many times, including a reset, and plugging it into just about every set of speakers and earphones I can. No such luck :(

Anyhow thanks:) Any other ideas?
Chris