Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redafternoon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2005
First off, thanks for taking the time to read my post.

I am an american student currently studying in the UK. before i left, around August, I purchased a 20gig 4G iPod which has served me well these past few months. However, with the impending update (or so i'm suspecting), I've been contemplating selling my current iPod whilst I'm still over here, in order to make a somewhat decent profit.

My main question is in regards to the legality of the issue: would I need to inform the person I was selling it to that it's an American iPod? I purchased it for around 250$, and would plan on selling it for around 175-185£ (350-370$), so I'm guessing you can see the obvious incentive for getting it off my hands while I'm still over here.

Any other information about this topic (selling products purchased in another country in the UK) would be much appreciated.
Cheers,
Will

Brize

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2004
Europe
There's no legal issue here. The fact that you're making a profit is irrelevant; the selling price is determined by the local market, not the price you originally paid for the item.

Personally, I would be inclined to mention that the Pod was purchased in the US. Far from being a problem, this could be attractive to potential buyers, because the European models have the volume restricted.

Benj

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2004
London
ditto to the two above.

I would mention that it is US but everyone is doing well out of the deal so why not?

There are quite a lot of UK based people on here so you might find an MR purchaser.

BTW - can't remember where to get it but there is a firmware hack to remove the volume restriction (although not sure why anyone would want to as it seems loud enough to me). The reason there is a restriction on European iPods is because of a need to comply with French law. Now I can't imagine why the country that gave us Johnny Halliday has a law restricting the volume of music players.......

redafternoon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2005
You guys wouldn't happen to know a good place to sell it, would you? I've tried looking at Amazon and Ebay, but I was wondering if there might be other (better) places.

Cheers,
-Will

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.