Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brettryan

macrumors member
Original poster
May 6, 2009
Some of the advertisements are really starting to become quite relentless in taking up the whole screen, notably the IKEA advert is a shocking example whereby if the user accidentally places her mouse over the advert it will bring up a modal frame that the user must click a little [x] in the top right, however it also plays tricks with the mouse, changing the mouse cursor making this even more obtrusive than it needs to be.

I feel that any add that forces interaction without the users permission or at least a click should be banned from the forum.

MacRumors is getting worse for this and will potentially push users away.

I don't have a problem with adds in general, the size and shape are a little big for the site, but I'll live with it, it's these mouse-over ones that ****** me.

brettryan

macrumors member
Original poster
May 6, 2009

Attachments

• ikea_add.jpg
    ikea_add.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 223

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
another solution is to support MR ... only $25 per year and IMO well worth it.

removes all the Ads

brettryan

macrumors member
Original poster
May 6, 2009
another solution is to support MR ... only $25 per year and IMO well worth it.

removes all the Ads

Is that $25 a year USD which if it were up to apple would be $100 AUD even though our dollar is performing better than the USD?? :p

I guess you only get that on windows. I've never seen such a thing on any of my Macs.

I think it could be a regional thin? Australia maybe? I get it here at work with FireFox and I'm pretty sure I've seen it at home on Safari for Mac.

Last edited by a moderator:

iVeBeenDrinkin'

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2008
I think it could be a regional thin? Australia maybe? I get it here at work with FireFox and I'm pretty sure I've seen it at home on Safari for Mac.

That's what I was thinking too, after I saw you were from Australia. I've never seen an ad or a pop-up like that.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Not sure if it's related to the ads, but MacRumors has been loading a lot slower for the past few days. It may very well be the browser waiting for ads to load, the page load gets stuck for nearly 10-15 seconds before displaying anything aside from the top banner and the first rumor in the middle of my screen.

Edit: it took another 1 minute and 17 seconds after loading the first rumor in the middle for the website to load completely. Something's not right, but where?

Edit 2: now it loads just fine... no idea what was wrong.

Edit 3: it's back to 1 minute 10 seconds delay before the site can load after the first rumor displayed in the middle of the page.

Last edited:

brettryan

macrumors member
Original poster
May 6, 2009
Not sure if it's related to the ads, but MacRumors has been loading a lot slower for the past few days. It may very well be the browser waiting for ads to load, the page load gets stuck for nearly 10-15 seconds before displaying anything aside from the top banner and the first rumor in the middle of my screen.

I see the exact same thing. It will take a while to load the first article after loading the first top add, then it gets stuck with the second add after the first article, and so on down the page.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia

Quite possibly. I get them on my Mac too and they're very annoying. Why would any advertiser think they'd generate a positive reaction by annoying people with obtrusive ads that obscure what you're trying to read? It's absolute stupidity on the part of the advertisers.

Well there's something to be said for browsing on an iPad huh. (No Flash ads.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.