Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does forum spy encourage trolling?

• Yes

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • No

Votes: 14 73.7%

• Total voters

iVeBeenDrinkin'

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
One of the things I love in the MR forums, is forum spy, but does it encourage trolling?

torbjoern

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
The Black Lodge
Forum spy makes it easier for trolls to see the real-time frequency of replies made to an inflammatory posting. Especially since it's possible to make the Forum Spy keep track exclusively on the PRSI forum, for instance. MR in general seems like a fairly troll-resistant site, though, except for this one part of it...

Nov 28, 2010
located
It also makes it easier for the moderators to see said frequency of replies - and reports.

Can you see a thread or post marked as reported in FS? I thought you had your special "Reported Posts" page for that.

And I like FS, it is often the only way to navigate the fora for me, though sometimes I troll around the DV sub-forum.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Can you see a thread or post marked as reported in FS? I thought you had your special "Reported Posts" page for that.

When someone sends a post report, it creates a new thread in a subforum only staff can see. Therefore, it shows up in spy just like any other new thread.

R94N

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2010
UK
Haters gonna hate, trolls gonna troll, no matter what. At least that's what I think.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Definitely. I've left other forums simply because I couldn't take it anymore. MR is definitely much better. I use FS all the time. It's my favorite since I like the community aspect.

This place is getting bad. Its gotten much worse in the last year and a half. I've posted before we should have an "Alternate OS" thread to lump the android/windows/whatever posts in to cut down on the trolling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.