Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackpeter

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2001
What do you guys think. I wanna go portable, so I'm considering a trade. My G4 desktop for his iBook.

Him: iBook 600 w/ 640MB RAM and DVD/ROM.

Me: G4 533 w/ 768MB RAM and CD/RW (+ AppleCare 'till April 2004)

So, is this a fair even-trade? Should I ask for some ca$h on the side?

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Re: Evaluate this trade: G4 533 for iBook 600

Originally posted by tfaz1
What do you guys think. I wanna go portable, so I'm considering a trade. My G4 desktop for his iBook.

You're close. maybe within 50-100 bucks of one another.

Although you're taking quite a speed hit on the ibook.

What are you gonna use it for?

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
No! U fool!!!

Downgrading is VERY foolish when you could likely "trade it in" on a TiBook at most independant Apple Resellers that have used inventory.:eek:

The expansion cost and potential of the tower is WAY too important to dump for even a new iBook.

PLUS: a 533 G4 on a 133 bus with AGP 4x AND a 32MB DDR video card with 2 video outputs VASTLY outweighs a 600 G3 on a 66 with a 2x AGP 8MB video card and NO outputs for video.PARTICULARLY with Jaguar.:eek:

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
If you were the guy with the iBook I'd say, "go for it!" and hope the guy swapping it for his G4 doesn't read the message about it on here.

Otherwise I'd say don't be totally sucked in by the offer, It's nothing to get excited about, if he was giving you a 550Mhz TiBook it would be a different story but an iBook for a G4 ?

Doesn't make sense to me. if it was the 14" iBook with the DVD/CDRW combo drive and 700Mhz G3 it would be worth it but that G4 of you're will crush the 600Mhz iBook at everything. Not to mention the original cost of you're mac compared with the iBook is quite a bit more and he's gaining a lot more from the swap than you are even if he gives you a few hundred in cash aswell.

I'd look for a TiBook if I were you.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
While you're at it...

Evaluate this trade too:

I just traded:
a G4 TiBook 550 384 RAM, DVD, 20 gig with a Z5 case, mouse, and QueFire CDRW
for:
a 733 Quicksilver, built in Zip 250, Super Drive with an almost brand new 17" LCD Apple Studio display.

i feel i made out pretty good. we both benefitted from this trade. i was looking for a desktop and he was looking for a portable. i was really after a dual but i figure i can always upgrade down the road if i want. think i did good?

blackpeter

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2001
Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm turning down the trade.

I'm just jonesin' for a laptop and like the small sized, ultra-portability of the iBooks. Not to mention that regardless of original price, my desktop + monitor is going for about $1,100 and his iBook is going for about the same, $1,000.

Price wise, they're about the same. But all your points are taken.

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
I'm poor but fortunate:

Here @ work I use a 450 G4 with AGP on a 100 Mhz bus, an nVidia GeForce 2 MX , 1024 MB of RAM and a pair of 60 GB Quantum drives. I have an "Unsupported" Sonnet SCSI host card that's running a Zip by way of Jag having the SCSI Zip drivers built in.

All this is running on X.2 full time with 9.2 for classic and redundant complete Norton suites and many pieces of freeware Utilities/Haxies.

@ home I have an iMac Rev D with 160Mb and a 30 GB HD. The poor little bugger is getting VERY slow by comparrisson and I'll soon be replacing it with either a Ti or a used 133-bus G4.

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
Aviod the PMAC for Ibook trade at all costs. Downgrading for portablilty is horrible. Ur g4 clearly kills the ibook and i tihnk u would hate the trade in the long run.

ryme4reson

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2002
Cupertino CA
Eval this trade

Since this has become an "Eval this trade" topic check this out

Me:
Powerbook 800 used for about a month (11 month warranty left), but purchased from apple for 2499 (employee discount).

His:
two month old 22: Cinema Display in perfect condition, and a G 4 933 w/ Superdrive, and 1.25 Gigs of Ram.

He even paid for shipping of his equip from Dallas to Ca. I checked and nothing is stolen and still covered for 9 months. I think I got a great deal. What do you guys think??

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Re: Eval this trade

Originally posted by ryme4reson

Me:
Powerbook 800 used for about a month (11 month warranty left), but purchased from apple for 2499 (employee discount).

His:
two month old 22: Cinema Display in perfect condition, and a G 4 933 w/ Superdrive, and 1.25 Gigs of Ram.

He even paid for shipping of his equip from Dallas to Ca. I checked and nothing is stolen and still covered for 9 months. I think I got a great deal. What do you guys think??

that sounds great! the price of the display alone is what you paid for your whole machine. so think of it like this...you are getting a 933 G4 for free! the desktop will have a much longer lifespan and is upgradeable and less to worry about. that's just my opinion. i was always nervous with my TiBook and i actually am much more productive at a desktop workstation. the TiBook is great but that Cinema Display is amazing and it's the type of thing you'll hang on to forever. i just did my trade today. my 550 TiBook for a 733 Quicksilver and 17" Studio LCD Display. i'm psyched. good luck. i don't think i could turn down that kind of offer.

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002

Me:

His:

Now those are the types of trades we like to see 'round here. 933's are excellent (i happen to own one) and it hasnt done anything in the 4 months ive had it but work flawlessly. Put jag on the 933 and believe me, it rips like no single processor in the history of apple.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Re: Evaluate this trade: G4 533 for iBook 600

Originally posted by tfaz1

as a computer techie and a former computer salesman, i say you guys are win-win and it seems even

the desktop is somewhat 1) more powerful and 2) expandable

the laptop has a 1) small footprint which is good in small houses and apartments and 2) it is portable

both machines have lots of RAM so either machine is set, even for OS X...i say, go fot it and enjoy your freedom to compute anywhere

have fun, good luck, and i hope this helps

BongHits

macrumors regular
May 2, 2002
chicago

Me:

His:

r u joking? you traded a powerbook 800 for a 933 tower WITH a cinema display? best deal i've seen (for you). I don't think I could part with my 17" lcd 933 with 512 ram for your powerbook!! (altho portability is the key issue) but his cinema display alone is worth the cost of your pbook.

ryme4reson

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2002
Cupertino CA
I am really surprised

I was checking out powerbookcentral.com and he posted a want add to trade his 22" and 933 for a PB 800 with 1 GIG or Ram. Well I only had 512 like it comes in its facotry form, and he said ok. He paid to have the 22" and 933 overnighted from dallas, and I shipped the PB ground (What can I say, Im poor college student) He owned Dallas Web Builers so I guess it was not relly the money, he just wanted a laptop. Needless to say I am REALLY happy. I added a pair of soundsticks, and now I am set. I am getting a new PB 800 for 2499 in the next few weeks, unless something new comes along (Please Apple, PLEASE)

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
Re: I am really surprised

I was checking out powerbookcentral.com and he posted a want add to trade his 22" and 933 for a PB 800 with 1 GIG or Ram. Well I only had 512 like it comes in its facotry form, and he said ok. He paid to have the 22" and 933 overnighted from dallas, and I shipped the PB ground (What can I say, Im poor college student) He owned Dallas Web Builers so I guess it was not relly the money, he just wanted a laptop. Needless to say I am REALLY happy. I added a pair of soundsticks, and now I am set. I am getting a new PB 800 for 2499 in the next few weeks, unless something new comes along (Please Apple, PLEASE)

Those are one of those, "right place at the freekin right time" things. Unfortuately for all of us left drooling over that once in a magenta moon trade (hehe), it will probably never happen again to ANY of us. Congrats on your 933 w/ a 22 inch studio display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.