PDA

View Full Version : Is Safari destroying my emac?!

Maxiseller
Feb 22, 2005, 11:49 AM
To anyone who can offer me any advice!!

I'm relativly new to macs having switched only about a year ago - and I've noticed somthing very strange.

My mouse is often behaving erraticly, entirely ignoring the left or right clicking on applications (recent example, trying to close iTunes etc) but only when Safari is open. It then goes on to get worse, slowing the system down and then freezing it entirely. Ive done all the maintanance tasks recomended to me : Varify and repair permissions, cleaning logs etc but it hasn't made the slightest change.

It's recently started happening on drop down menus too, but not when I have safari open! Ive backed up all my documents in case of a lashing question mark situation, and checked the S.M.A.R.T status of my drives which is ok. Any other suggestions?!

Any advice you guys can offer will be really appreciated. Thanks.

superbovine
Feb 22, 2005, 12:20 PM
First, off try it with a different mouse to rule out your current mouse. Your mouse could be failing and causing all the problems. What happens if you unplug the mouse and plug it back in?

Maxiseller
Feb 22, 2005, 12:26 PM
Ive just tried it with a different mouse and a minute later it froze again (this time when using expose) and needed restarting before I could see ANY activity at all. Thanks for the sugestion though it is much appreciated.

nichos
Feb 22, 2005, 12:38 PM
You might want to try (and correct if this has nothing to do with it guys) a different profile. Go make a new profile/user, and try that. Maybe some setting somewhere on your account is messing things up.
Am I wrong to think that some settings are done per-user? Thought i'd offer something - good luck :)

yellow
Feb 22, 2005, 12:50 PM
Am I wrong to think that some settings are done per-user? Thought i'd offer something - good luck :)

Nope, you're correct, and your suggestion is always a good step in troubleshooting problems.

Maxiseller
Feb 22, 2005, 01:49 PM
Thanks you guys. I've created a new user profile and it works much better. There are no problems at all and the system is much more responsive. Thanks again, big help.