Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mugtastic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2006
i'm looking for some advice on an issue i'm having with my white c2d 2.4ghz macbook.

when scrolling in safari the page will freeze, then the spinning color wheel will pop up for a few seconds, then behave normally for a while.

clicking on something in any application will sometimes not register a couple times.

video playback will stop - picture pixelates - then recover and proceed.

these things happen maybe a couple times an hour.

i've recently installed a new 500gb 5400 rpm wd hd, but i think the issue existed before that.

it seems like when the macbook has to go to the harddrive to refill my 4gb of ram it stutters to catch up.

should this be the case? my processor speed, ram and hard drive shouldn't be taxed at all by basic activity like this, should they?

ddehr026

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2010
Maybe one of the ram chips is going bad? Can you run the apple hardware test and see if anything comes back?

mugtastic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2006
thanks - i'll do that tonight - right now i'm backing up.

i need my install disk for this test right? i'm not at home but my dad has the same macbook as mine so i should be able to get the disk.

ddehr026

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2010
Yeah the hardware test is on one of those grey install discs. Pop it in and hold down d when you boot up

mugtastic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2006
the install disk didn't work - must be a bit different to mine.

but rember says the ram is good.

mugtastic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2006
another weird thing is several times a day the optical drive does the "lets check for a disk thing" too

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.