PDA

View Full Version : PB is the shape of Elbow Macaroni

dswoodley
Feb 22, 2005, 11:52 AM
So last night i dropped my 15' AL powerbook. Slid right out of my hands (no body's fault but my mine). The optical drive end took the brunt of it and now when laying flat, the optical drive end sits about 1/2 inch off the table. The weird part? Everything still works including the optical drive and the keyboard (that's bent too)...

not very unusable as a laptop now (doesn't even fit in it's case right).

Just a warning to all, the metal is bendy, but the components are tough!

Guess I am getting a new PB, though all I can afford is a 12in, unless I can find just the case and chasis for a 15" al PB.

Ideas anyone?

thanks

bug
Feb 22, 2005, 12:07 PM
If you've written it off anyway - why not just try bending it back? May totally go horribly wrong, but it may fix your issue ;)

PlaceofDis
Feb 22, 2005, 12:09 PM
you could try looking at www.pbfixit.com, might find some parts there you could use to fix yours, not 100% sure though

PlaceofDis
Feb 22, 2005, 12:11 PM
yeah i just checked, they have the two pieces of the main case there, but together it looks like $500, so its up to you if its worth your time and effort to take it apart and put it back together or just buy a new machine

dswoodley
Feb 22, 2005, 12:13 PM
you could try looking at www.pbfixit.com, might find some parts there you could use to fix yours, not 100% sure though

Nice! they do sell the parts, but they are of stock on the lower casing. I'll see if I can backorder,

thanks for the tip

Logik
Feb 22, 2005, 01:21 PM
home insurance cover it? might be worth looking into? $500 for a new machine (or whatever the deductable is) vs. $1400 for a new machine... :-/

wide
Feb 22, 2005, 01:42 PM
First, I'd get a monkey wrench, make it tight around the really bent part of your computer, and try to bend it back in place. (I'm serious)

If that doesn't help, I'd order the upper and lower case from www.pbfixit.com as someone said above.

Does anyone know, if you buy an upper and lower powerbook case and bring it to an apple store, if a genius at the apple store will take the old powerbook apart and put it in the new casing?

debroglie
Feb 22, 2005, 01:53 PM
BEFORE YOU TRY TO BEND ANYTHING call your home owners insurance. It may cover this type of thing.

Dagless
Feb 22, 2005, 02:20 PM
that sites kinda interesting. it costs $139 for a replacement keyboard but only $99 for a new battery. somebodies making a nice profit

dswoodley
Feb 22, 2005, 02:38 PM
BEFORE YOU TRY TO BEND ANYTHING call your home owners insurance. It may cover this type of thing.

This is a good idea too. i don't have home owner's but I think my renter's insurance does cover some kinds of accidents

PlaceofDis
Feb 22, 2005, 03:29 PM
This is a good idea too. i don't have home owner's but I think my renter's insurance does cover some kinds of accidents

your renters insurance should cover it, if not its up to you if you want to fix it or not, if you do go that route, i would talk to apple about having them fix it, although you buy the parts yourself from pbfixit, it would probably be cheaper that way, or you could just give apple a call and see how much they would charge to fix the whole thing first

(i keep thinking of more stuff to add these days)

wwooden
Feb 22, 2005, 07:46 PM
Why not just use your iBook for a while?? :)

Can you post some pictures? I would be curious to see the bent computer.

dswoodley
Feb 22, 2005, 07:59 PM
update!

My renter's could cover it, but my deductible is $500

I took my Powerbook to my local mac reseller and repairshop - $330 parts and labor was what I was quoted.

I am using the ibook now, but it's actually my wife's!!

I'll try and get a picture before I ship to my repairn shop.

thanks all!

PlaceofDis
Feb 22, 2005, 08:16 PM
well then, either get the seller to repair it, at least then its an authorized repair, or see what your renters will give you for $500, if you get a totally new machine for the $500 deductible i would probably go that route

eAspenwood
Feb 22, 2005, 08:47 PM
I'd say get the insurer's to buy you a new one, and if you can keep the old one, then sell it as is. I'm sure some people would be willing to pay a decent amount for a functional pb that can be fully repaired between $300 - $500. Who knows, maybe you're accident could turn out to be free (minus the time involved) or better.

I know (unfortunately from experience) when you total a car, the insurers allow you to keep the car for a certain fee. Perhaps the same applies here.