Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluap84

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 12, 2011
UK
what will speed up my render?
of course more ram. But will a firewire scratch disk help ?

VideoCave

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2011
OC
RE: Rendering

Every little thing can help of course.

As of now FCP can only use upto 4gigs of RAM no matter how much you have installed. But I noticed you only have 4 total. So heres a little breakdown of your existing RAM being used.

OSX - around 2gigs by itself
FCP - will use everything that is left if you have any other apps open.

So with only 4gigs with the OS and FCP alone there goes everything.

Now for a harddrive if you are using the same one that is installed with your iMac you are really working it hard.
Your harddrive is running an OS, what ever apps you have open, reading/writing video and then having to render all this in the end as well all at the same time.

So definitely get an external FireWire 800 HD. I personally prefer WesternDigital or GRaid. Lacie HD's can not handle hardcore use at all.

That way you are spreading some of the workload on the computer.

Also what ever external HD you choose make sure can set up as a Raid1.
WesternDigital has a 4TB MyStudio HD. And if you use the Raid1 format option you automatically mirror your files to both of the single 2TB HDs inside so if one crashes you simple buy another 2TB install it, then rebuild it to copy the info back the new HD and continue to work.

That bad part about this is you lose half your storage space but the good is if one crashes as your working everything is being automatically backed up on the fly.

bluap84

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 12, 2011
UK
ok thanks for the info, ill be upgrading to 16GB when i can afford it, and also buying a 2TB GRaid so hopefully this will help

sp4ngle

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2010
what will speed up my render?
of course more ram. But will a firewire scratch disk help ?

Twixtor is pretty processor intensive because it's doing frame interpolation. We've just finished a project where we used Twixtor in CS5 and the hard drive activity was generally low (it was simple sequence based project, not a complex composite), the processor was maxed.

martinX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Australia
I wouldn't count on a hard drive of any sort changing much at all. Assuming you're not running lots of apps while trying to do this, it's all CPU.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.