Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
May 1, 2010
California
Google pulled about 50 Android Apps from peoples phones because of security issues. I don't know all the details, but I understand these are apps were 'stolen' and re-worked apps. One person said he knew the app wasn't written by the person listed as the author.

Question:
Do you think something like this would cause more people to second guess rooting and loading bootleg apps on thier phones?

I remember way back when several large companies were caught with bootleg software and the sales of several mainstream programs took a huge jump. I wonder if we'll see something simular in the world of phone apps.

xStep

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2003
Less lost in L.A.
Question:
Do you think something like this would cause more people to second guess rooting and loading bootleg apps on thier phones?

As I heard it, those apps where downloaded from the Android Market place, so no rooting was required. If true, that could mean a consumer didn't know that they were downloading re-worked apps. Given that, there would not be any second guessing.

Suspended
Original poster
May 1, 2010
California
Wow, so that means someone got the source code for many apps and was able to modify them and get them back on the market!

How in the world could that happen? I understand Apple Apps can't be changed at all without going back thru the approval process.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Wow, so that means someone got the source code for many apps and was able to modify them and get them back on the market!

How in the world could that happen?

The source code wasn't used, just the binaries.

Roughly speaking, the attacker downloaded the original binaries, "infected" them with a root exploit (essentially turning legitimate apps into trojans), then uploaded the results as if they were original code.

According to:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/0...your-phone-steal-your-data-and-open-backdoor/

via:
http://daringfireball.net/linked/2011/03/02/android-malware

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.