Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vinyl313

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
I was wondering if anyone had seen a case that fit the back only of the iPad 2 allowing you to still use the smart cover?

haagenman

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2011
I can't wait to see the replies. I want one too. In the meantime I bought an inexpensive neoprene slip cover to carry my iPad in.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2007
I thought I would want one and then was like, why would I want to use 2 different products? I'll wait for a nice "all-in-one" case. I really loved the first gen iPad case. It was perfect with the exception of the smudges that always appeared on it.

heyloo

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2006
NY
I luckily had a spare InvisibleShield for the iPad1 (don't ask why, I forget) - was digging around today and found it hidden somewhere. Anyway, I slightly modified the front cover of it and managed to cover most of the back, at least temporarily until I get the 'real' back covers.

If you're willing, I presume you would be able to do the same with those IS that BB's selling, albeit it's the wrong size, I don't want my new precious to have scratches ;-)

Edit: I just remembered. I ended up getting 1 speck of dust while installing the shield on my iPad...it was so annoying at first that I was more or less forced to buy another - I ended up getting used to seeing the imperfection and I guess I stashed it away and never returned it.

diabolic

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2007
Austin, Texas
I'm going to try the Dodocase Bookback. I absolutely love the smart cover already and can't imagine going back to a full case like I had on my original iPad.

zenio

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2011
I prefer to use it without a case or covering. I'm just enjoying it without being concerned if it gets scratched. It's just a hard device to keep as nice as my phone or laptop, so I'm not going to sweat it. It's easily replaceable. I simply don't care about it as much as my Apple Laptops.

camaroIOM

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2010
I will be reviewing with pics my Ghost Armor tom after placing on Ipad 2. Better than Inv shield IMO. Protect entire Ipad

camaroIOM

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2010
I prefer to use it without a case or covering. I'm just enjoying it without being concerned if it gets scratched. It's just a hard device to keep as nice as my phone or laptop, so I'm not going to sweat it. It's easily replaceable. I simply don't care about it as much as my Apple Laptops.

I do for resale value since upgrading every year. No scratches mean top dollar

Kaner88

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2011
SkinIt does vinyl skins to cover the back; I just can't tell if they have a hole for the rear camera or not.

Kaner88

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2011
I do for resale value since upgrading every year. No scratches mean top dollar

I don't plan to upgrade annually unless they make huge updates. I waited to buy #2 for the cameras (my fiance is from Canada, so Skype usability with video was a deal-breaker). Now that it has that, I just want it to work. Until something even more monumental than a USB port arrives, or until the thing up and dies on me, I'm gonna be happy with this one. Just need it to get here...

camaroIOM

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2010
I don't plan to upgrade annually unless they make huge updates. I waited to buy #2 for the cameras (my fiance is from Canada, so Skype usability with video was a deal-breaker). Now that it has that, I just want it to work. Until something even more monumental than a USB port arrives, or until the thing up and dies on me, I'm gonna be happy with this one. Just need it to get here...

Surrrreeee : >) I bet they come out with a new Bad A$$ retina screen that offers a better cam and resolution you might be on board : >)...I have a feeling the next Ipad will draw and even bigger crowd and many will trade up once again. In fact would not put it pass apple to beta test all the Ipad 2 with thinner screen to work kinks out and release Ipad 3 early than expected

Kaner88

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2011
I've heard the whole iPad-3-in-Autumn theory. I find it hard to believe that Apple would cut "The Year of iPad 2" so short. In any case, I suppose it's always possible that I'll eat my hat when #3 comes out :)

vinyl313

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Anyone happen across something that protects the back while letting you use the smart cover?

This seems like it'd be a it would be a easy thing to make but haven't found anything yet.

applelvr

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Xgear has one for pre-order for $34.99. It says it works with the smart cover. Their website is xgearlive.com. I'm considering ordering one.

Irunnoft

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2007
Invisible Shield really is invisible!

I purchased an invisible shield back only cover for my iPad 2 on launch day. It certainly is invisible. No sign of it yet and no indication that it's shipped or even planning to ship soon! :confused: I am especially interested to see how it will work with the iPad's Smart Cover, too. I hope I don't have to modify it to make the Smart Cover work, but I definitely don't want it to interfere with the magnets.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
Difficult decision. For my iPad 1 I used a Macally shell which protected the back really well, then I had a Power Support screen protector on the front. Only thing is that it really added weight and thickness an I never got to really appreciate how well designed the iPad was (FYI iPad 1 looks better then 2 ;))

For my iPhone 4 though, I just have SGP guards around it which prevent scratches and add a little bit more grip without hiding it away. Risky yes, but I love the design and don't want to hide it away.

I don't care for the smart cover, but I'll probably just get a quality sleeve which will prevent scratches when I take it out and about with me.

KyleMac

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2011
Black leather smart Cover + ghost armor

I use a black leather smart cover and ghost armor rear protection only. It works great. The ghost armor is hardly noticeable and adds no thickness to the ipad. It actually makes the ipad slightly easier to hold one handed as opposed to the slick aluminum back.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I purchased an invisible shield back only cover for my iPad 2 on launch day. It certainly is invisible. No sign of it yet and no indication that it's shipped or even planning to ship soon! :confused:

Wow, might want to call them. When I ordered a skin from them for my MBP13 last year it took forever to ship, for a product that had been out for months. I had to pester ZAGG before it finally shipped.

I ordered a Best Skins Ever ipad2 body cover end of last week and it shipped within a day or two. Probably arrive today or tomorrow. (I don't like the InvisibleShield/BSE style on the screen, just on the rear surface)

Rlarsonmn

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2011
My original iPad had a original apple cover so front and back was protected. O my iPad 2 I got the red leather smart cover. My practice is to always lay my unit face down onto of the smart cover when not using it. When in use I fold the smart cover onto the back or fold it into the typing position. So far no issues with the back but it will take some getting used to since I was used to laying my original iPad on it's face side.

Freefall25

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2011
I got the back only option from gelaskin. I am very happy with it. I like that I could use my own graphics. I think it makes the iPad a little less slippery also.

PathVu

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2009
I got the back only option from Gelaskin also. I used my artwork, looks great and a better grip. Great customer service from Gelaskin.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.