Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Help Please

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
How much does refurbished over used affect the resale price of a 13" MBA Ultimate?

Just wondering if there was a huge difference between the two.

slapguts

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2008
Refurbished come straight from Apple, and are flawless. The 1 year of AppleCare also starts from the day of purchase, so it could be a couple months worth.

stockscalper

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2003
Area 51
Get a refurb. You won't be able to tell the difference in a new one, plus you'll get the full warranty and be eligible for Applecare.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
How much does refurbished over used affect the resale price of a 13" MBA Ultimate?

Just wondering if there was a huge difference between the two.

I think previous responders missed that you were referring to "resale" value of either new or refurbished machines.

I would think it would depend on the time frame you were trying to sell it in. Ideally, it shouldn't really matter to the buyer as either machine would be "used" at sell time since you used it. The origin of the machine probably wouldn't even come up other than the fact that the packaging might tip them off. If you sell it pretty quickly, you would have to deal with some buyers who attach a stigma to refurbished equipment and thus devalue it in their mind. As the machine ages, I would think most buyers would be concerned more about the treatment the machine received in YOUR hands, and thus the origin wouldn't matter any more.

JoelMarcey

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2009
Northern California
I think previous responders missed that you were referring to "resale" value of either new or refurbished machines.

I would think it would depend on the time frame you were trying to sell it in. Ideally, it shouldn't really matter to the buyer as either machine would be "used" at sell time since you used it. The origin of the machine probably wouldn't even come up other than the fact that the packaging might tip them off. If you sell it pretty quickly, you would have to deal with some buyers who attach a stigma to refurbished equipment and thus devalue it in their mind. As the machine ages, I would think most buyers would be concerned more about the treatment the machine received in YOUR hands, and thus the origin wouldn't matter any more.

That was exactly my question. To me, refurbished vs. new when it comes to Apple really makes no difference. Saving money on a refurbished is worth it 99% of the time when it comes to computers.

But, at resale time, you do not have the "pretty box" of the new machine. You have an "ugly white box". I always wondered whether that mattered or not when going to sell it. I suppose you can always try to buy a "pretty box" on eBay or something if you really needed to. So it comes down to whether saving $100-200 on a refurbished will be a detriment at resale time because you don't have the original "pretty box". I doubt it would be a $100-200 detriment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.