PDA

View Full Version : Why do people buy AT&T iPads???

Zeos
Mar 16, 2011, 11:14 PM
Remind me why people buy AT&T iPads?? The difference in 3G coverage is ridiculous.

Knowimagination
Mar 16, 2011, 11:16 PM
Remind me why people buy AT&T iPads?? The difference in coverage is ridiculous.

:eek: Verizon should advertise this so people are aware!

Tobster3
Mar 16, 2011, 11:17 PM
For me, because the AT&T iPas is unlocked. When I travel internationally, I can insert that counties SIM into it and use their 3G networks.

shareef777
Mar 16, 2011, 11:17 PM

lol, I believe it's mostly because they're compatible internationally.

iPhone1
Mar 16, 2011, 11:18 PM
GSM rules the world.

einmusiker
Mar 16, 2011, 11:19 PM
Wait... Still waiting for my Verizon iPad to load this page and I'll tell ya... Waittttt.... Just a little longer..... There it is.... Now what was the question again?

hipsigti
Mar 16, 2011, 11:20 PM
C'mon do you really think AT&T would still be in business if the image was real granted AT&T does not have the greatest coverage but i am sure it's better than this do some more research I am sure you will find i am right.

PittsDriver
Mar 16, 2011, 11:21 PM
Remind me why people buy AT&T iPads?? The difference in coverage is ridiculous.

That is not an accurate coverage map give me a break.

Zeos
Wait... Still waiting for my Verizon iPad to load this page and I'll tell ya... Waittttt.... Just a little longer..... There it is.... No what was the question again?

lol. But at least Verizon 3G is faster than AT&T Edge. Am I the only one that doesn't travel out of AT&T's happy zones?

NicoleRichie
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

GSM rules all. Not that I love AT&T but I have no real complaints... other than the network is a bogged down in some metro areas. Verizon needs to get on an international standard then I would consider them.

mikethebigo

lol. +1 to you.

JohnnyQuest
Mar 16, 2011, 11:22 PM
Wait, wait...Verizon actually just tricked you with their little maps?

Excuse me while I laugh hysterically at you.

:rolleyes:

Zeos
Mar 16, 2011, 11:23 PM

It might be a little dated, but I think it's pretty representative. Did you ever notice AT&T doesn't post a national 3G coverage map? That's because it would look really stupid.

Saberj
Huh....doesn't look like there is coverage in my area. I should probably call and tell AT&T that they need to stop providing service to me.

zenio
Long time experienced cellular phone users _know_ coverage maps are propaganda supplied to make the respective company look good. Their accuracy is dubious.

Zeos
Mar 16, 2011, 11:24 PM
Wait, wait...Verizon actually just tricked you with their little maps?

Excuse me while I laugh hysterically at you.

:rolleyes:

Look through web sites that have pasted together AT&T 3G maps.

Maaz
Mar 16, 2011, 11:25 PM
So your mad you got the wrong iPad huh?

Gil22
Mar 16, 2011, 11:28 PM
I can think of a couple more reasons....one being that most people probably have the att version of the iphone and just want to have the same company for both. A more obscure reason and maybe a little out there....I think the hard core apple fans hate the big guy on the block when it comes to business

Zeos
Mar 16, 2011, 11:28 PM
So your mad you got the wrong iPad huh?

No, I have an unlimited iPad 1 and my kids have WiFi. I travel a lot in the West and AT&T's data coverage is absolutely terrible. Pondering a 2 and trying to talk myself into VZ. :p

PadJunkie
Mar 16, 2011, 11:29 PM
It's accurate enough. However, the Verizon network is significantly slower.

The important number isn't the total number of square miles covered, it's the coverage in areas where you're likely to actually go. So yes, if you spend most of your time driving around rural America, Verizon is probably a better option.

Phillyfan1290
Yea that coverage map is false, I know for a fact AT&T provides a map I see it everyday(AT&T retail sales) Verizon prob has better voice but AT&T kills it with data speeds, can you talk and surf the web at the same time?

brucem91
It might be a little dated, but I think it's pretty representative. Did you ever notice AT&T doesn't post a national 3G coverage map? That's because it would look really stupid.

Actually, yea, found VERY EASILY, was the first result on google.

http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/#?type=voice

joec1101
Mar 16, 2011, 11:30 PM
Well, for me it's because ATT data speed is at least 4-5 times as fast as VZW.

And FWIW, that map is NOT correct. I just retrieved this one from ATT web site and it's far different from the one you have: :confused:

http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af162/joec1101/coverage_Data.gif

Maybe you're just trolling?

Gil22
Mar 16, 2011, 11:30 PM
No, I have an unlimited iPad 1 and my kids have WiFi. I travel a lot in the West and AT&T's data coverage is absolutely terrible. Pondering a 2 and trying to talk myself into VZ. :p

Depends where you travel out west, I was out there last summer and att coverage is fine in metro areas....even small cities. Its the rural areas that verizon claims

Zeos
Mar 16, 2011, 11:31 PM
Actually, yea, found VERY EASILY, was the first result on google.

http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/#?type=voice

That's their VOICE map.

Zeos
Mar 16, 2011, 11:34 PM

And FWIW, that map is NOT correct. I just retrieved this one from ATT web site and it's far different from the one you have: :confused:

That is 3G *AND* Edge. Try to find a 3G-only map. It seems that AT&T has this crew rather well-trained! :)

rynep
Mar 16, 2011, 11:36 PM
Because... Verizon is spotty at best where I live... and SLOW.

gus6464
Mar 16, 2011, 11:38 PM
Verizon data speed is trash. At the launch I was 97 in line with my mom in law and by the time we got to the front att ipads were out of stock which is what she wanted. There were a couple of people behind us that wanted att ones as well and the apple sales lady was telling everyone we have plenty of vzw ones in stock in every size and not a single person decided to get one instead. I can deal with a dropped call or two here and there but I cannot deal with insanely slow internet on my iphone.

Phillyfan1290
Mar 16, 2011, 11:39 PM
I actually already have AT&T "4G" HSPA+ in my area.. sucks iPhone isn't comparable thow AT&T >Verizon

kvizzel
Mar 16, 2011, 11:42 PM
Why the *beep* does it matter to you?

wingnut8
Mar 16, 2011, 11:43 PM

No way that's a 3G map. AT&T has hardly any 3G coverage in MI.

jdminpdx
Mar 16, 2011, 11:43 PM
Verizon is slower and it's not GSM. I travel to London and Israel very frequently. iPad gsm is a life saver

wingnut8
Mar 16, 2011, 11:44 PM
Verizon data speed is trash. At the launch I was 97 in line with my mom in law and by the time we got to the front att ipads were out of stock which is what she wanted. There were a couple of people behind us that wanted att ones as well and the apple sales lady was telling everyone we have plenty of vzw ones in stock in every size and not a single person decided to get one instead. I can deal with a dropped call or two here and there but I cannot deal with insanely slow internet on my iphone.

It all depends on where you live. I was 70th in line and they only had 64 gig Verizon iPads left. They had all AT&T models.

joec1101
Mar 16, 2011, 11:44 PM
That is 3G *AND* Edge. Try to find a 3G-only map. It seems that AT&T has this crew rather well-trained! :)

Provide us with a map...

All I can tell you is that I returned my VZW iPhone and ported back to ATT because the data just blows. Pages take FOREVER to load. MUCH happier now! I can't imagine even trying to load pages on the VZW iPad! :eek:

deadwalrus
Mar 16, 2011, 11:45 PM

Not a 3g map bro.

runtohell121
Mar 16, 2011, 11:50 PM
AT&T 3G Map
http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/9862/94769899.png

Zeos
Mar 16, 2011, 11:53 PM
Provide us with a map...

All I can tell you is that I returned my VZW iPhone and ported back to ATT because the data just blows. Pages take FOREVER to load. MUCH happier now! I can't imagine even trying to load pages on the VZW iPad! :eek:

DARK blue is current 3G.

mcdj
Mar 16, 2011, 11:57 PM
Pretty sure that's a Republican/Democrat map.

JohnnyQuest
Mar 16, 2011, 11:57 PM

And you're not well-trained by Verizon into thinking their service is better, no matter what?

Look, AT&T has faster 3G connectivity. It's true. Verizon may cover more areas, but it can also be unbearably slow. If you don't recognize this, then you're delusional.

rudyo
Mar 16, 2011, 11:59 PM
Surely you are kidding? 4-5 times faster than Verizon?
Have you used an ipad with both carriers?

I have used AT&T on an ipad 1 since April 2010 and since last Friday I have used it alongside an Ipad2 on Verizon. There has been rarely a case or scenario where AT&T is faster than VZW. On a speed test, AT&T has higher ping times than VZW. Most of the time the data rate is the same as VZW, sometimes it is faster, but in actual use (browsing, loading images etc) the VZW has been approximately 20-40% faster virtually 90% of the time.

This first video is using the Speedtest.net app and shows ping times and download/upload speeds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ai4wswF6FU0

Both Ipads are using the built in Cellular card, no Mifi.
The AT&T is an Ipad 1 and the Verizon is an ipad 2. I will have an ipad 2 for the AT&T in a few days and will rerun the test.

This is not an issue of Verizon being 3G and AT&T being on Edge, both were 3G with 4 or more bars of service.
The consistently high ping times on AT&T are causing latency which causes lag. In all of my browsing the Verizon feels and act much faster than AT&T.

This video is using DSL Reports mobile page, which does a test by downloading a file multiple times and then calculating an aggregate throughput. I also downloaded a 2mb image to gauge actual page load times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WH_NzHFM2Q

Based on my testing, albeit somewhat unscientific, Verizon performs better in my area. That may not be the case for all areas. Clearly if either provider doesn't have good coverage in your area, they will not be a good choice.

Alaerian
Mar 17, 2011, 12:16 AM
Seriously? Another one of these stupid threads?

Reporting for lock.

nosser
Mar 17, 2011, 12:31 AM
DARK blue is current 3G.

Light blue will be active 3G on March 31st...

nimski62
Mar 17, 2011, 12:39 AM
Simple: Verizon avg download speed: 300kbps with 3G. Att average: 3000kbps. Verizon is too slow and the 3g doesn't penetrate buildings well. Comparision with my friends verizon iphone vs mine.

KoukiFC3S
Mar 17, 2011, 12:42 AM
Reason I want AT&T is unlimited data. :)

Goldinboy17
Mar 17, 2011, 01:01 AM
Ugh, this thread is pointless. The OP's just as delusional as most of you. Quit drinking the kool aid and stick with what works best for you.

xraytech
Mar 17, 2011, 01:59 AM
Remind me why people buy AT&T iPads?? The difference in 3G coverage is ridiculous.

I don't know, maybe because AT&T subscribers would like to use their wireless devices outside of the US.

If Verizon works for you, GOOD ON YOU!!! But don't spread this FanBoy Propaganda.

Admins, please lock this thread. The OP is an obvious TROLL.

jkwireless
Mar 17, 2011, 02:18 AM
For me, because the AT&T iPas is unlocked. When I travel internationally, I can insert that counties SIM into it and use their 3G networks.

+1

AT&T coverage if awful where I live in L.A., but I use Wi-Fi at home. Howeve3r, when I go to Europe, I can use a local Sim Card and forget anything about AT&T. Getting a GSM iPad has less to do with AT&T and more to do with International compatibility for me. If i NEVER travelled outside of the US, you can bet that I would have gone Verizon without question.

Airmark1
Mar 17, 2011, 02:20 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

LOL. Good sh:t.

kindaobsessed
Mar 17, 2011, 02:26 AM
I am Houston and never NEVER had issues with my ATT service. We traveled from Houston to Philadelphia, my phone worked the whole time, I know this because I sat in a car for 10hrs a day and did not have anything better to do than play on my iPhone. My mother lives in the sticks, ATT is the only service she can get out there and it is even 3G. ATT is major competition for the company I work for and I would love to complain about there service, but they have given me no reason to.

iLuis
Mar 17, 2011, 02:47 AM
Well Verizon and AT&T is the same *****...
You lose signal with all the phone carrier, I'm going with AT&T cuz the iPad is unlocked and i got the Unlimited plan for just $30 dlls a damn good deal.

I can got just for the simcard up to $500 :eek:

pika2000
Mar 17, 2011, 03:25 AM
Worldwide coverage >>>>> Verizon coverage.

koilvr
Mar 17, 2011, 03:25 AM
Soooo much crack so little time:eek:

wingnut8
Mar 17, 2011, 03:37 AM

Not when you don't travel outside of the country or spend a majority of your time in America.

kvizzel
Mar 17, 2011, 03:42 AM

Really?

If true that's awesome.

MrWillie
Mar 17, 2011, 05:11 AM

Yes but on ATT's website it states that it is a data map. What Verizon is posting is a 3G data map. AT&T includes all data (Edge and 3G ).

Zeos
Mar 17, 2011, 05:51 AM

Why in the world did they decide to cover the entire western half of Kansas and the eastern Dakotas? Those areas are going to have better coverage than many large metro areas. Geesh AT&T.

kvizzel
Mar 17, 2011, 05:56 AM
Why is it that every thread with data problem is Verizon :eek: :confused:

Dorkington
Mar 17, 2011, 05:58 AM
I find AT&T to have faster data coverage, and has been reliable for any metro area I've been in (including NYC).

Now... their voice service... thats another story. But I never make calls, and this is the iPad, so I don't make calls there.

Needless to say, if I got a 3G model, it'd be AT&T.

Stealthipad
Mar 17, 2011, 06:00 AM

$30 a month for UNLIMITED = PRICELESS!:p:p:p

Being able to change your SIM is Priceless. :p:p:p I have never had any reception problems with my iPad and have been very happy with AT&T. In all my years with AT&T I can not imagine not being able to change my SIM.:p:p I use multiple phones and Verizone would not cut it with me.:eek:

I have friends who use Verizone and they are amazed at the AT&T speeds in comparison to your slow and lethargic speeds of Verizone:p:p:p

mullman
Mar 17, 2011, 06:17 AM

+1

North Korea still uses CDMA, so you can use your VZW iPad there. :rolleyes:

shingles314
Mar 17, 2011, 06:26 AM
My iPhone is on AT&T and I have a verizon MiFi. When I travel, I take both. All I can say is, if I am in a spot where I cannot get signal on my iPhone, the MiFi does not fair much better. They are about the same. Verizon has better EVDO coverage in rural areas, but that's really not relevant to me (and probably many others). I just don't travel to many of those places with no coverage. I do travel outside of the US. Good luck with a CDMA device outside of North America.

LFSimon
Mar 17, 2011, 06:45 AM
Unfortuantley the following map is not a map of ATT's 3G service, but rather a map of all their different data services combined:

I'm an ATT customer and I'm buying an ATT iPad, but with that said the poster is correct. That map you posted shows ATT's entire "data" network but only a portion of this is 3G. If you go to the actuall link and zoom in it shows the difference in different shades of blue that you can't see on the full country map. Beleive me, I've spend some time at relatives in some places where the national map looks solid blue but there was no 3G anywhere close just the much slower E service, But for us the ATT service is fine 99% of the time and their options are better suited to us.

einmusiker
Mar 17, 2011, 09:36 AM
$30 a month for UNLIMITED = PRICELESS!:p:p:p

Being able to change your SIM is Priceless. :p:p:p I have never had any reception problems with my iPad and have been very happy with AT&T. In all my years with AT&T I can not imagine not being able to change my SIM.:p:p I use multiple phones and Verizone would not cut it with me.:eek:

I have friends who use Verizone and they are amazed at the AT&T speeds in comparison to your slow and lethargic speeds of Verizone:p:p:p

what is this unlimited data you speak??? sounds suspiciously marxian to me!!!!!!!!

vincenz
Mar 17, 2011, 09:39 AM
Clearly you dont know there are countries outside the US.

Technicalspeak
Mar 17, 2011, 09:53 AM
I just have wifi because I have wifi where I will be needing this. That being said I would have bought the AT&T version if I had bought a 3g. Everybody I know
who uses or has used Verizon has had issues with them. With me, it was in the neighborhood of huge charges that I could not have been responsible for. my phone was broken for a month and during that month I supposedly ran up 500 dollars worth of calls and text messages. I guess a lot of people just pay the charges and assume they used too many minutes. They couldnt explain it to me, even with their databases but I am sure had I paid it they would never have sent a check back.

forget verizon!

robanga
Mar 17, 2011, 09:56 AM
If i was frequently driving around Montana, Utah and the deserts of eastern Oregon...I'd definitely have a Verizon iPad. ...But since i am not, and I actually leave the country every other month and go places were there is NO CDMA. :) Well you get the picture.:apple:

mrkjsn
Mar 17, 2011, 10:00 AM
According to the OP's map, I have no 3G coverage. Oh wait...iPhone says I do...

ryannel2003
Mar 17, 2011, 10:05 AM
It really all depends on where you live. In my area, Verizon's network is much better than AT&T's. When I had my iPhone my town didn't have 3G and it was pretty slow on Edge, and my phone dropped calls more often. However where I'm living now has 3G and I never dropped any calls. I can understand the advantage of an AT&T iPad... especially if you can use it overseas.

Blakjack
Mar 17, 2011, 10:14 AM
lol. But at least Verizon 3G is faster than AT&T Edge. Am I the only one that doesn't travel out of AT&T's happy zones?

Is this comment serious? 3g is always faster than Edge!!

I choose AT&T because they are faster POINT BLANK! I dont like the fact that they arent available everywhere like Verizon but then again.....Im not traveling to many there isnt coverage.

And that map u have sir is off by miles.

MykullMyerz
Mar 17, 2011, 10:15 AM
I think both carriers are great. My iPhone is with AT&T, however my iPad will be with Verizon. So, I figured no matter where I am, I'll have some sort of data coverage so that I may surf the web, check e-mails, stream music, and whatever else I can do that requires a data connection.

DiamondMac
Mar 17, 2011, 11:50 AM

Because Verizon didnt offer it up until recently?

wingnut8
Mar 17, 2011, 12:00 PM

I live in one of the largest cities in MI and I'm out of their happy zone.

wpotere
Mar 17, 2011, 12:05 PM
Why in the world did they decide to cover the entire western half of Kansas and the eastern Dakotas? Those areas are going to have better coverage than many large metro areas. Geesh AT&T.

Do you have a clue on what the process is to install a cell tower? I do and just getting the land is only a fraction of the crap you have to go through. You will be fighting city boards and have to get FAA and FCC approval in certain areas for any structure that is over a certain hight. It is a royal pain!

So, to answer your question, they are likely getting better coverage because they were the easiest to get operational quickly.

Pick the carrier that works best for you. I was going to switch to Verizon but ATT recently bumped the towers around here and things have been working a lot better. So, I'm staying.

alan111
Mar 17, 2011, 12:10 PM
I'm in NYC and I can honestly say that ATT sucks.
I have Verizon. I had the iPad 1 3g (ATT) and it was dread aweful. I always had full reception, but the internet as slow as hell. Page loading literally took 45 seconds most times.

I'm glad that Apple now makes the iPad for Verizon and am loving the VZ 3G connection in NYC.

bossxii
Mar 17, 2011, 12:25 PM

This.

VZW 3G avg 600 to 800Kbps around KC based on the feedback of our sales staff on iPhones and data cards.

My ATT 3G iPhone with 2 bars pulls 1.5 to 2 mb and in my office easily avg 4 to 5 mb down. When LTE is the standard it won't matter, until then ATT blows VZW out of the water for where I need cellular data. Not everyone has poor service from ATT. Welcome to the rest of the US, and the rest of the world that is GSM. I won't even mention voice + data at the same time. :)

greytmom
Mar 17, 2011, 12:26 PM

Map, schmap. AT&T works better where I live.

That's why.

icecrystal23
Mar 17, 2011, 02:52 PM
Yes but on ATT's website it states that it is a data map. What Verizon is posting is a 3G data map. AT&T includes all data (Edge and 3G ).

Verizon's definition of "3G" is inherently different due to the CDMA/EVDO vs. GSM/UMTS network differences.

Verizon's map includes its slow data areas as well as its faster data areas. Therefore it's only fair to compare it to AT&T's complete data coverage area.

Pipper99
Mar 17, 2011, 03:13 PM
I have AT&T's unlimited data plan, and I'm not giving it up.

hcho3
Mar 17, 2011, 03:16 PM
You believe everything that Verizon says? That map is old as hell.

zMacintoshz
Mar 17, 2011, 03:33 PM
That's their VOICE map.

Here's the Data, map
http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/#?type=data

I went with AT&T because I already have it for my iPhone, i got a 64GB 3G model

falconeight
Mar 17, 2011, 03:51 PM
Because Verizon 3g is slow a olympic swimmers racing in peanut butter.

butterfly0fdoom
Mar 17, 2011, 04:22 PM
People buy AT&T iPads because:
1) They travel internationally
2) They live in an area with 3G coverage; in such areas (aside from SF and NYC), AT&T trounces Verizon for speed
3) They're part of the Asian grey market and are scooping them up for sale abroad.

A note on comparisons of 3G coverage: The reason pretty much Verizon's entire network is covered by 3G is because EV-DO Rev. B is a modification of EV-DO Rev. A, which was designed to be backwards-compatible with 1xRTT, which was a modification of CDMA2000, which was designed to be backwards-compatible with cdmaOne. So Verizon has had a relatively easy upgrade path up until LTE, which requires the deployment of a new network. Meanwhile, AT&T's HSPA+ network is a modification of HSPA, which is incompatible with their older EDGE network (and is therefore why there is an actual difference in 3G and 2G battery life: CDMA and WCDMA, which is what HSPA is based on, are less power-efficient than GSM and also have their own circuitry that generally can be turned off for power savings), which was a modification of GSM, which was incompatible with AMPS and TDMA, contributing to AT&T's smaller 3G footprint that takes longer to expand. They seem to be intent on deploying LTE more swiftly, though, since by now they're used to deploying new networks alongside their existing ones.

Blacklabel34
Mar 17, 2011, 04:28 PM
If you're never going to travel outside the US get a Verizon iPad, if you constantly travel or enjoy jumping the pond from time to time get a ATT iPad. Pretty simple.

Full of Win
Mar 17, 2011, 04:39 PM
For me it's the unlimited plan. Sucked down ~ 1.4 GB in the last 28 hours, per my usage data. This type of use would cost me hundreds at V per month, whereas I pay 29.99 / month at AT&T.

SoybeanStasher
Mar 17, 2011, 04:40 PM
For me it was speed and international travel. The only times I anticipate using 3G is while traveling, and I generally only travel to major population centers, so 3G coverage shouldn't be an issue. So then it comes to speed, and while it doesn't matter much for general web browsing, it does count for watching video.

I do hope, however, that future 3G/4G iPads will have both CDMA and GSM capability so you can choose which carrier you want at any time.

fop91
Mar 17, 2011, 04:43 PM
For me it's the unlimited plan. Sucked down ~ 1.4 GB in the last 28 hours, per my usage data. This type of use would cost me hundreds at V per month, whereas I pay 29.99 / month at AT&T.

Me to what he said...

TroyBoy30
Mar 17, 2011, 04:45 PM
Because I live in a super 3G area, have unlimited data and att is much faster that verizon

tbayrgs
Mar 17, 2011, 04:49 PM
Because I live in a super 3G area, have unlimited data and att is much faster that verizon

This sums it up pretty well for me as well.

mikethebigo
Mar 17, 2011, 04:52 PM

1.4 gigs in a day?? What are you downloading? I'm impressed!

Leeturn
Mar 17, 2011, 05:10 PM
I thought me getting a verizon ipad was a foregone conclusion. Then I looked at their coverage map and realized it didn't tell me anything. Verizon didn't have a best, moderate, and worst visual and on ATT I knew exactly where the moderate to poor signals were, and they didn't bother me. I could handle the small gaps in coverage on my way south to florida Plus The 3G expansion expanded in all the right places. I like verizon service, but I'm waiting for a 4G iphone before I switch back. Really liking my 3G speed compared to my brother's android.

Full of Win
Mar 17, 2011, 05:16 PM
1.4 gigs in a day?? What are you downloading? I'm impressed!

Thank you, I try. All the data is from either video or streaming audio, all on a non-rooted iPad using Apple approved apps, where the use is 100% consistent with the Terms of Service of AT&T, of which I have read. :)

yg17
Mar 18, 2011, 03:31 PM

1. That AT&T coverage map is outdated. I know of at least 2 areas in Missouri that have 3G coverage that is not marked on that map.
2. Some people live in an AT&T 3G coverage area, have good service, and good speeds

err404
Mar 18, 2011, 03:51 PM
While VZ does have good coverage, they classifies their entire network as 3G. Despite the classification, many areas provide data rates that are more in line with AT&T 2G Edge speeds.
That said, if you are truly interested in comparing user experience as opposed to marketing, it's is reasonable to compare the entire 2G+3G AT&T map to the VZ map.
While I agree that VZ will still take the lead, it's not by such a landslide.
The fact of the matter is that Maps don't tell the whole story. It's also important to note that AT&T 3G data speeds tend to be faster then VZ.

csnplt
Mar 18, 2011, 04:02 PM
1. That AT&T coverage map is outdated. I know of at least 2 areas in Missouri that have 3G coverage that is not marked on that map.
2. Some people live in an AT&T 3G coverage area, have good service, and good speeds

As far as I know, the coverage map is updated quarterly.

yg17
Mar 18, 2011, 04:46 PM
As far as I know, the coverage map is updated quarterly.

I'm talking about the map in the OP that compared Verizon to AT&T - it's outdated by at least a year.

Fataliya
Mar 18, 2011, 05:44 PM
Three reasons:

1. I have a Verizon phone and the 3g is slow and sucks balls.

2. The WiFi at my work is spotty and sucks dirty balls.

3. When I'm talking to a Verizon employee that's in line and HE is trying to buy the AT&T iPad, I'm pretty confident I chose wisely.

Meever
Mar 18, 2011, 06:49 PM
Because if you're not in the boonies and live in the suburbs/cities the ATT 3G speed smokes Verizon's

bowlerman625
Mar 18, 2011, 07:24 PM
I have great coverage. If I travel it is to major metro areas where there is good coverage. I'm not planning a trip to central Montana anytime soon!

bowlerman625
Mar 18, 2011, 07:24 PM
Three reasons:

1. I have a Verizon phone and the 3g is slow and sucks balls.

2. The WiFi at my work is spotty and sucks dirty balls.

3. When I'm talking to a Verizon employee that's in line and HE is trying to buy the AT&T iPad, I'm pretty confident I chose wisely.

Love no 3!

AppleScruff1
Mar 18, 2011, 10:46 PM
I can think of a couple more reasons....one being that most people probably have the att version of the iphone and just want to have the same company for both. A more obscure reason and maybe a little out there....I think the hard core apple fans hate the big guy on the block when it comes to business

Why would hard core Apple fans hate the big guy on the block? That is exactly what Apple has become.

hcho3
Mar 18, 2011, 10:49 PM
Verizon service is not as good as AT&T's in my area.

AT&T has way faster speeds in my area.

Does that help?

PeopleTheseDays
Mar 18, 2011, 10:59 PM
Different strokes for different folks

richard371
Mar 18, 2011, 11:13 PM
I'm not going to read this entire thread but it's not an ATT iPad. It's a global unlocked 3G iPad. Sorry tmobile.

christophermdia
Mar 18, 2011, 11:25 PM
I do have a verizon mifi, but when i could tether my iphone i do and get much better internet experience. When i stay at my lake house ATT really sucks mostly edge, but Verizon is amazing there, so thats the main reason for having both.....each provider has its place, but by and large I have a better experience with ATT.

iMule
Mar 18, 2011, 11:31 PM

Post of the century! There are no excuses. You live in a big city and you have WiFi. I went with the best choice: better 3G coverage.

So when do you AT&T folks want to travel with me? You do t want to live on the EDGE. You can borrow my VZW iPad and watch NetFlix in BFE. Let's go!

butterfly0fdoom
Mar 19, 2011, 02:01 AM
Post of the century! There are no excuses. You live in a big city and you have WiFi. I went with the best choice: better 3G coverage.

So when do you AT&T folks want to travel with me? You do t want to live on the EDGE. You can borrow my VZW iPad and watch NetFlix in BFE. Let's go!

It's okay. When you're in Asia, Europe, or Australia, you can borrow my AT&T iPad because your VZW iPad won't even have 1G connectivity.

By the way, others have already posted more up-to-date 3G coverage maps from AT&T that demonstrate that AT&T coverage is damn near that of Verizon's.

AppleFanatic10
Mar 19, 2011, 02:06 AM
Wirelessly posted (Verizon iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

Some people don't have good Verizon coverage where they live and if I'm not mistaken the AT&T iPads can be unlocked because AT&T uses sim cards.

violetp
Mar 19, 2011, 03:53 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but to further discourage pointless banter, comparing an AT&T iPad 1 with a Verizon iPad 2, is for lack of a better word, asinine. LMFAO!

People live in different places and one or the other works best for that particular person, or they didn't have a choice when they opted to buy a used one. Either way, who cares?! You are all on the internet with it, that's all that matters. Having one is fortunate enough, stop bitching and moaning and/or telling people your iPad is better! We all got jacked by apple, so move on.

Happy surfing!

Hberg
Mar 19, 2011, 09:22 AM
I bought the White 64Gb Wifi 3G AT&T as personal and business choice. I have a Verizon Card for my laptop that doesn't preform all that well, and I will probably be canceling the Verizon service.

Capitalism is great in that it offers individuals a choice, and AT&T was my choice.

PanAm-L1011
Mar 19, 2011, 10:39 AM
It is different every where. I chose Verizon because ATT's coverage is total crap in San Francisco. My VZ 3G is fast.

The GSM argument is funny because how often do people travel internationally? Why buy something you can't use at home so you can use it for two weeks while out of the country (I know there are some that travel a lot more than that)? Plus, it's not like you're not going to find WiFi every where is this day and age.

I bought the plan to test it and will cancel when my month is up.

Sketchr
Mar 19, 2011, 11:09 AM

Ditto. data speeds at the very least are 3-4 faster on at&t than on verizon for me in my area. I have a verizon company phone (droid x) and an iPhone for personal use. So, I test this all the time

lespaul85
Mar 19, 2011, 11:22 AM
Like others have said, it's different for everyone. Don't take the "if you travel, AT&T won't work". Everywhere I've travelled it's generally fine if not faster than where I live. Some places have poor 3G speeds at even full bars but others (Denver and Orlando in my experience) are really good for 3G speeds. But if you have an experience where in your area Verizon's is faster, it's not indicative of everywhere just as the opposite isnt. Everyone depending on where they are at will have different experiences.

kbmb
Mar 19, 2011, 12:04 PM
How about comparing this:

http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=276509&thumb=1&d=1300335159

To the population density of the US:

http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=276954&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1300554013

For a large majority of the people....they are not only covered by AT&T, but most times AT&T speeds are faster.

-Kevin

vw195
Mar 19, 2011, 12:18 PM

http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=276509&thumb=1&d=1300335159

http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=276954&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1300554013

For a large majority of the people....they are not only covered by AT&T, but most times AT&T speeds are faster.

-Kevin

Thats true, but once you get out of metro area in alot of places you drop down to edge. I noticed when I had my ipad 3g that 10 miles outside of Nashville, my ipad would drop out of 3G. Verizon and Sprint dont do this. They blanket the interstate with 3G. On a trip from Nashville to Atlanta, 80% of travel is on the edge network, which is lame.

Chupa Chupa
Mar 19, 2011, 12:30 PM

Because I'm more globally minded:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_hZxRbcx_kjY/TP95vIQfEMI/AAAAAAAAAA4/8irpsxoKefc/s1600/HSDPA_deployments_world_map.jpg

Verizon might have better 3G coverage across the U.S. but the Verizon iPad can only use 3G IN the U.S.

Leeturn
Mar 20, 2011, 11:32 AM

I care more about the destination than the road trip and all my dedtinations have faster 3G. Loved verizon when I had them, but I love my 3G speeds now.

Also I was certain I was going with the verizon iPad, but the new updates to ATT's 3G coverage convinced me to go ATT. My brother's verizon data speeds on his droidX drove me insane when I was playing with his phone. The drive, his speed was better, the destination where we spent a week compared to a few hours on the road, not even close.

Keep in mind everyone's real world experience is different. Once iPhone goes 4G all probably switch back since VZW is far ahead of ATT on the 4G front

Leeturn
Mar 20, 2011, 11:36 AM

-Kevin

That map is also out of date. ATT coverage has expanded since those commercials and is supposed to expand again ny the end of the month

Leeturn
Mar 20, 2011, 11:46 AM
Last post

All the blue, light or dark, is going to be 3G coverage by summer. The expansion took care of 97% of my 3G concerns. I can tough out the 3% that's Edge. Plus ATT is open about poor coverage on their websites map. Verizon's map doesn't distinguish between 1 bar and 5 bars on the voice map.

http://www.att.com/network/assets/mrq_coverage.jpg

butterfly0fdoom
Mar 20, 2011, 12:00 PM
Last post

All the blue, light or dark, is going to be 3G coverage by summer. The expansion took care of 97% of my 3G concerns. I can tough out the 3% that's Edge. Plus ATT is open about poor coverage on their websites map. Verizon's map doesn't distinguish between 1 bar and 5 bars on the voice map.

Just a note on those light blue chunks: Those were divested by Verzion and purchased by AT&T as part of the FCC's requirements to Verizon in regards to their acquisition of Alltel.

coolbreeze
Mar 20, 2011, 01:17 PM
Unlimited data on AT&T.

dccorona
Mar 20, 2011, 01:20 PM

That map can't be right. I live in Michigan, and get ATT 3G service when I'm up north...far further north than what they have marked on that map.

also, for people living in an area that is covered well by 3G, and who will mostly travel to areas covered by 3G, ATT is the faster alternative. Speed maters even more so on an iPad than on a phone...its all about what is more important for you

billhelm
Mar 20, 2011, 01:24 PM
deleted

kevink2
Mar 20, 2011, 01:53 PM

Is that supposed to be a 3G map? Or just a map where they offer service, even if just 2G?

When I bought my iPad, there were no Verizon models. So THAT is why I bought the ATT version :)

If I was buying an iPad now, I would seriously consider the Verizon model. Slower, but more usable when on vacations in the west. The limitations of the Verizon model are that it is slower (compared to ATT 3G areas, faster than ATT 2G areas), and no simultaneous voice and data, which doesn't apply for the iPad.

I'll continue to skip generations, at a minimum, unless I do something like lose or break my existing model. I skip the original iPhone and the 3GS version. And plan to skip whatever model they release this year (5? 4G?)

If there is anything I fault about the iPad is the screen glare. In certain environments, it can be hard to see or I get distracting reflections.

kevink2
Mar 20, 2011, 02:01 PM
Simple: Verizon avg download speed: 300kbps with 3G. Att average: 3000kbps. Verizon is too slow and the 3g doesn't penetrate buildings well. Comparision with my friends verizon iphone vs mine.

FCC speed test:
iPhone 4, 2.99Mbps/down, .86Mbps/up
iPad 1, 1984kbps/down, 266 kbps/up

At my home in Oklahoma.

kevink2
Mar 20, 2011, 02:03 PM

Which only matters if you travel outside the US. I bet you would be shocked at the number of people who even rarely travel out of state.

I've been to Canada twice, and in the latter case, a prepaid CDMA phone had better coverage than my ATT GSM phone did in the Idaho, BC, and nearby areas.

kevink2
Mar 20, 2011, 02:27 PM

They bought spectrum from another company, and in the process of putting in towers, just went straight to 3G.

Pipper99
Mar 20, 2011, 03:01 PM
Unlimited data on AT&T.

Same here.

PittsDriver
Mar 20, 2011, 03:07 PM

Um no. Verizon is showing you total coverage 3G or otherwise. The AT&T map is a dated 3G coverage map. The map you posted shows no 3G coverage in Nevada. I get 100% 3G coverage in Reno, Carson City and Vegas. Not only is AT&T's coverage map much larger than what you posted(former AT&T employee here), but Verizons data speeds suck.

cmvsm
Mar 20, 2011, 03:13 PM
They just acquired T-mobile.

PittsDriver
Mar 20, 2011, 03:14 PM
This is a current 4G data coverage map. Where is Verizon at?

butterfly0fdoom
Mar 20, 2011, 09:21 PM
This is a current 4G data coverage map. Where is Verizon at?

That's for fake 4G, also known as HSPA+.

err404
Mar 20, 2011, 10:26 PM

I agree, but everybody is offering "fake" 4G right now. The issue is that 4G is more of marketing term then a technical spec at this point.

kvizzel
Mar 20, 2011, 10:40 PM
I agree, but everybody is offering "fake" 4G right now. The issue is that 4G is more of marketing term then a technical spec at this point.

Not T-Mobile :p

Leeturn
Mar 20, 2011, 10:44 PM

No its a 3G map. AT&T and verizon both are going to use LTE. The whole 4G thing is just misleading marketing since verizon is so advanced with their 4G roll out compared to ATT. Dark blue is current 3G, at the time the map was published, and light blue is expected 3G by the end of March.

Built
Mar 21, 2011, 12:17 AM
To answer the original question, "Why do people buy AT&T iPads???"

As for me, I hate Verizon with good reason and based on significant experience.

(But my wallet often votes for me, and if Verizon had offered a reasonable unlimited data plan, I would have made the jump. My wallet is fickle at times).

iPadPublisher
Mar 21, 2011, 03:21 AM
I've had zero problems with coverage or speed with my iPad1 on AT&T. In the past year my travels have taken me to Denver, Albuquerque, St George UT, Sacramento and San Diego CA on the west coast, and NYC, Boston, Pittsburgh and Atlanta on the east coast. All of these trips have involved driving around and being in different parts of those towns. Add airport layovers in Phoenix, Houston and a divert to Memphis for an hour. Then tie in my near daily around town use here in Las Vegas. AT&T has been good for me.

If I could knock them for anything at all it's that their Las Vegas Strip capacity is lacking during major events. When the strip area is full, they slow down.

So when I get my iPad2 tomorrow, it's an AT&T unit. I'll give them another year. Thats the beauty of the no-contract setup. If by iPad3 Verizon is kicking their ass in speed I'll jump ship happily, assuming they'll match my unlimited plan and pricing.

mirage699
Mar 21, 2011, 03:35 AM
If I could knock them for anything at all it's that their Las Vegas Strip capacity is lacking during major events. When the strip area is full, they slow down.

Yes, Vegas capacity is lacking on weekends at peak times as well.

err404
Mar 21, 2011, 10:05 AM
Not T-Mobile :p

T-Mobile had taken perhaps the smallest step towards '4G' of any of the US carriers. HSDPA+ is an enhancement to 3G that provides a significant speed increase from traditional 3G, but it's a dead end technologically.
While LTE and WiMAX also fail meet the full requirements of '4G', they are stepping stones with a road map to a 'proper' 4G implementation.

I remember when I first added EDGE to my plan. It was sold as 3G back then. Similarly I expect that HSDPA+ will refereed to as a 3G technology as the market moves on.

akacaj
Mar 21, 2011, 11:05 AM

Do you have trouble finding a small sim that works? I thought the iPad uses a micro sim that is not widely available?

err404
Mar 21, 2011, 11:13 AM
Do you have trouble finding a small sim that works? I thought the iPad uses a micro sim that is not widely available?

The standard and micro SIMs are essentially the same. Worst case you will have to cut it down to fit. Given the popularity of the iPhone4 and iPad2, many carries will assist with this.