PDA

View Full Version : NEW iPod features you would like to see

macOSX-tastic
Feb 22, 2005, 02:26 PM
hi all,

dunno whether or not this has been posted already, but what would you like to see in future ipods/minis/shuffles/photos?

i would like to see something like the flurry screensaver or itunes artwork screensaver, for use as visualisations....haha fat chance....probably reduce the battery life to 5 minutes.....enough for 1 song! :D

tastic

musicpyrite
Feb 22, 2005, 03:10 PM
I've always wanted to see an AM/FM radio in my iPod.

I would never use the features, and don't know how useful they'd be, but I would like to see:
- Bluetooth
- 802.11b/g
- VGA out (lol :rolleyes: )
- voice recording

Lacero
Feb 22, 2005, 03:12 PM
Built-in laser pointer capability.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Feb 22, 2005, 03:21 PM
None! None whatsoever! Let the iPod be the player it is and add extra features with clip-ons and other add-ons. Why should all of us wanting a music player pay for all that other c*ap, not to mention increased R&D costs... :mad:

PlaceofDis
Feb 22, 2005, 03:26 PM
some sort of wireless connectivity that will allow your iPod to play Airtunes though your Airport Express, thats all i want, and then i would have to get an express

chameeeleon
Feb 22, 2005, 03:26 PM
Honestly? With my iPod shuffle now I've almost totally rethought everything I thought I wanted in a future iPod - I don't need any of it, and too much of it branches into an Apple harddrive PDA.
However, a few simple things:
1) Let iPods update smart playlists. So, for example, my "Just Played" playlist should include songs I've played on the iPod.
2) Let iPod photos download direct from a camera, and be able to take photos off of them and into iPhoto. Or better yet, build a camera into them!
3) Well I would love to watch video on airplane flights... but other than that I'd never use it UNLESS it could be plugged into a TV ala the photo. That's about the only thing that could convince me to upgrade my current iPod family.

yellow
Feb 22, 2005, 03:28 PM
LoJack! (http://www.lojack.com/products-services/auto-security-system/index.cfm)

Bibulous
Feb 22, 2005, 04:29 PM
Easy integration with existing car radios, don't want to buy a new mercedes if i don't need too - also AM/FM radio, come on people still listen to sports, sports talk and news live.

mcmav37
Feb 22, 2005, 04:46 PM
I want the photo capabilities to be expanded. I'm not saying I want to be able to reduce red-eye and rotate photos on my iPod, but I would like to be able to download from a memory card at a reasonable rate (all accounts say the Belkin solutions are slower than USB 1) and--ideally-- view photos directly without having to upload to a computer first. So, either help a 3rd party to develop a faster connection for a card reader and/or allow me to hook my camera up to the dock connector and offload pictures at USB 2 speeds.

On a related note, this looks interesting (http://news.com.com/Cameras%2C+iPods+need+to+talk+to+each+other/2100-1041_3-5585795.html?tag=nefd.lede) . I hope Apple doesn't let others get ahead of them.

Mord
Feb 22, 2005, 05:22 PM
wi-fi so they will work with my airport express

Brian Haworth
Feb 22, 2005, 05:33 PM
1) Let iPods update smart playlists. So, for example, my "Just Played" playlist should include songs I've played on the iPod.

I think the normal iPods already do this, but the shuffle does not have a clock, so it can't.

chameeeleon
Feb 22, 2005, 06:11 PM
Lol, no I understand this, my bit about how my shuffle has changed the features I want was unrelated to that - I was referring to the iPods with a screen, and I know my 3G doesn't do that.

MattG
Feb 22, 2005, 06:48 PM
802.11g.

I want to be able to walk into a place (i.e. my house) and stream music from my iPod to my Airport Express. I want to be able to walk around with it in my pocket, free to change songs, volume, etc. wherever I am.

Lacero
Feb 22, 2005, 06:50 PM
802.11g consumes too much power. Bluetooth 2.0 would be the ideal wireless protocol.

jsalzer
Feb 22, 2005, 07:08 PM
I'd like Belkin or preferably Targus to make a thumb keyboard and Apple to contribute by allowing you to add PIM data using said keyboard. I want to throw away my Palm and have an excuse to spend the money on an iPod!

dejo
Feb 22, 2005, 07:11 PM
I would really like Apple to add a bottle-cap opener (and corkscrew) to the iPod. You wouldn't believe how many times I'm at a party and would love to pull my iPod out of my pocket and pop the top on my beer. :D

Lacero
Feb 22, 2005, 07:13 PM
iPod with 5 mini XLR connectors so I can record surround sound in glorious 5.1 in 192Khz 24-bit audio.

PlaceofDis
Feb 22, 2005, 07:28 PM
802.11g consumes too much power. Bluetooth 2.0 would be the ideal wireless protocol.

what is the range of BT 2.0? that may be the deciding factor, not to mention that the Airport Express would have to be updated to support BT, that would tick a lot of people off, they could make it 802.11b compatible, that shouldnt drain as much power, but provide a large enough range, its the compromise, also, i dont know if BT would have enough bandwith to stream the songs well enough

aswitcher
Feb 22, 2005, 07:39 PM
BT - synch all but music and photos, and for wireless headphones
USB reading of cameras and immediate display of images
Line in/out/s-pdif
oled screens
backlit controls
full metal shell...
FM radio I guess...
iPod@home - real portable HDD tech as leaked last year.

and later on
play avi's, mpeg and mov...perhaps one day
touchscreen PDA instead of wheel...wheel is virtual
W-CDMA/GPRS phone ;)

rendezvouscp
Feb 22, 2005, 07:45 PM
I would really like Apple to add a bottle-cap opener (and corkscrew) to the iPod. You wouldn't believe how many times I'm at a party and would love to pull my iPod out of my pocket and pop the top on my beer. :D

Mmmm, sounds good. That iDate thing in MacAddict a few years ago would be cool too (sorry, no link for non MacAddict readers).
-Chase

quackattack
Feb 22, 2005, 08:20 PM
Built in line-level out would be nice for DJs that use iPods. Built in card reader for iPod Photo. Ability to zoom in on pics for iPod photo. Thats about it.

rosalindavenue
Feb 22, 2005, 09:12 PM
Hard to believe nobody has touched on batteries. My 9 month old 3 G gets 4 hours if I'm really lucky -- and that's listening to the same audiobook! I know the 4G is allegedly better (advertised for 12 so maybe it gets 6 :p ), but I'd like to see real-- not advertised-- double digit hours of battery life and a little easier time replacing the battery. (I have my eye on the "extended batteries" out there for $30 with a tool to pry it open :eek:).

puckhead193
Feb 22, 2005, 09:19 PM
I would like to see
-car intergrated with a 2004 ES 330 with the nav and mark lension audio package
- better battey life
- to be able to control airtunes using the ipod
-able to sync with computer over bluetooth or 802.11 b/g

aswitcher
Feb 22, 2005, 09:35 PM
Hard to believe nobody has touched on batteries. My 9 month old 3 G gets 4 hours if I'm really lucky -- and that's listening to the same audiobook! I know the 4G is allegedly better (advertised for 12 so maybe it gets 6 :p ), but I'd like to see real-- not advertised-- double digit hours of battery life and a little easier time replacing the battery. (I have my eye on the "extended batteries" out there for $30 with a tool to pry it open :eek:).

Yeah battery life by way of better polymer batteries IIRC... :o

aswitcher
Feb 23, 2005, 12:17 AM
BT - synch all but music and photos, and for wireless headphones
USB reading of cameras and immediate display of images
Line in/out/s-pdif
oled screens
backlit controls
full metal shell...
FM radio I guess...
iPod@home - real portable HDD tech as leaked last year.

and later on
play avi's, mpeg and mov...perhaps one day
touchscreen PDA instead of wheel...wheel is virtual
W-CDMA/GPRS phone ;)

Oh, and in addition...

BT control of iTunes on my Mac from my iPod, with the whole of the iTunes men u structure appearing on my iPod when in range, so I have a full wireless remote with screen :)

And BT security option, so that when my iPod goes out of range of my PB it immeditaely goes to screen saver with a password, irrespective of other security settings...how cool would that be...plus a little beep or piece of music to confirm to me connection has been lost from my ipod ;) Plus auto reconnect and no password when in range so I dont need to stuff around with passwords to get into my PB when I have m y iPod handy AND a different piece of music confirming connection - different music to advise PB was access when I was away.... :D