Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shivetya

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
What I want to be able to do is have both my home computer (iMac) and work computer (Dell laptop) be able to backup the iPad. At most I might want to move a single app downloaded from the app store on the Dell to the iPad as the iMac is the real home base for it.

Is this easy to do? I remember having a pain in the arse time with an iPod when I connected it to two different machines.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
If there's a way to do it, I bet it'll be a pain.

What you want to do is contrary to the hub&spoke model Apple's set up for iTunes and the various iDevices.

What is the driving reason you want to backup the ipad to two different computers?

Shivetya

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
If there's a way to do it, I bet it'll be a pain.

What you want to do is contrary to the hub&spoke model Apple's set up for iTunes and the various iDevices.

What is the driving reason you want to backup the ipad to two different computers?

Originally the idea was to load some files I have at work, but I may be able to get them there another way. E-mailing documents and such just seems wrong.

unkn0wnsoldier

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2009
Fountain, Co
I do believe that if you connect the iPad to another computer, iTunes will prompt you to sync with the new computer, or do a restore. I don't know about apps that are able to side-load files. My suggestion would be to copy the app from your mac onto your dell, plug the iPad into iTunes, and see if you can use the side-load feature. It may also prompt you to authorize the machine.

Edit:

I just tried to sync a file from my wife's machine to my iPad. As soon as I plugged it in I was prompted to restore, clicked no. The I was prompted to erase and sync my iPad with her computer, said no. Clicked my ipad's name on the left in iTunes, went to apps, scrolled down to see the apps that could side-load files. I tried to add a file to Pages, but the only way to add the file was to sync with her computer.

Dropbox is the way to go.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.