Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GadgetAddict

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 10, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
After I get pissed and/or curious I do crazy stuff.. So I decided to get up really early today, go by a couple of Apple stores and check my chances of getting an iPad 2.

Around 5am I was at the West 14th store. My jaw almost dropped... 400+ waiting in line! 350+ were asian scalpers and they were up front of course. They had chairs and sleeping bags, clearly they had spent the night there.

20 mins later, around 5.20am, I was at the Upper West Side store. Line was smaller but again 200+. Once again the vast majority were asians and they were up front. Same situation, sleeping bags and everything. I did not even bother with the 5th Av and SoHo stores. I was looking for a 32/64 gig AT&T model, the ones that have the most demand so I did not even bother to wait in line. 200x2 = 400 iPads to be sold before me and I doubt the UWS gets high volumes daily.

I have nothing against Asians and I am not a racist. But I have much against these scalpers. All those being "liberal" and "open minded" saying US is a free country and everyone can do anything they want with their iPads once they buy them, essentially backing up the scalpers, well, you speak because you have NO idea what's going on in NYC. All the smarta$$ comments of "get up and go earlier" do not apply here. The asians have simply dominated. All those complaining that NY gets the most of the shipments, again, we are not buying them!! From what I have seen and read since launch day, I strongly believe that 90% of all iPad 2s sold in NYC go straight to the gray market.

So I am sorry to say this but for anyone in NYC, do not waste your time. This has been getting worse day by day and we are now at the point where it is simply impossible to get an iPad 2 from the Apple stores. Unless Apple does something I only see this getting worse until the gray market is saturated. It comes to show the power of masses...

CerealKillers

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2011
I agree with you. While there are probably a lot of Asians who are legitimately just trying to get their iPads like everyone else, these scalpers/resellers are really pissing me off. Of course Asians as whole cant be turned away, after all Apple is getting business no matter what they do with the iPads but I really wish there was something they could do.

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
I have to believe there has to be a way for apple to police this. Limiting 1 per customer makes complete sense. Also, do all scalpers have CC's? They can re-implement the CC and photo ID requirement; this may at least alleviate it a bit.

One thing I am pretty certain is that apple (although liking the sales) does not want this product to end up giving them a black eye. The grey market is certainly powerful in this city.

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England
Also, do all scalpers have CC's? They can re-implement the CC and photo ID requirement; this may at least alleviate it a bit.

The stories on here were saying that there was a ring leader handing out cash so I suspect they're all paying cash.

I know it causes problems for some genuine purchasers too but in situations like this, I don't understand why they're not implementing the CC only rule again.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Funny. People get P.O.'d when Apple tries to slow down gray marketers by refusing cash and then Apple P.O.'s people when they accept cash allowing gray marketers to buy like anyone else.

As the quip goes, you can't have your Kate and Edith too.

beatzfreak

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
NYC
Yeah, this really does suck, but it's a no win situation for Apple.

Remember this:

Being disabled and on a fixed income, Campbell held off on buying a computer until the Apple iPad came along. It was small, mobile and perfect for her needs. So, little by little she saved up the $600 she needed to get one.

"It took quite a long time for me to just save up this small amount of money to go down and purchase one," she said. "I had my cash in the backpack and I went up proudly to the counter and told them, 'I would like to purchase an iPad.'"

She was at the Apple store in Palo Alto, about to pull out the big wad of cash and take home her first computer. Instead, she received a terrible blow.

"They said, 'Sorry, we don't take cash.' And, so I looked at her and I said OK she's kidding," Campbell recalled.

However, the clerk was not kidding. The Apple sales policy says if you want an iPad, you must pay by credit card or debit card. Diane didn't have any plastic and amazingly her cash was useless.

"It's sort of astounding to think here is this U.S. dollar, this money put out by the U.S. Treasury Department, and it's being turned away," Alan Fisher says.

Fisher, of California Reinvestment Coalition, advocates for low-income consumers who have trouble getting credit or mortgages.

"Apple is coming at this in a very heavy-handed way, and it means that their nice products are not being able to be enjoyed by people who already have many difficulties accessing the rest of mainstream society," he says.

"When you save for months and then you say OK I finally get to do it, finally get to have some type of internet, and all of a sudden no you don't," Campbell said.

She contacted 7 On Your Side and we contacted Apple Computer. The company only pointed to their purchase policy. It says there is a limit of two iPads per customer and you must pay by credit or debit card. Gift cards will not work either.

Apple did not respond to a 7 On Your Side request for an explanation of the policy, however, the store clerk told Campbell it was to prevent con artists from buying lots of iPads selling them overseas.

"They heard of people buying 50 and 100 iPads at a time and going overseas and selling them triple the amount, Campbell said.

Campbell walked out of the store without her iPad. She's still playing the same Eric Clapton and Elton John songs and waiting for the day Apple will take good old cash.

"Come on Mr. Jobs, give a sister a break, okay," she says. "I'm not going to go sell my iPad."

treebark7182

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2011
The stories on here were saying that there was a ring leader handing out cash so I suspect they're all paying cash.

I know it causes problems for some genuine purchasers too but in situations like this, I don't understand why they're not implementing the CC only rule again.

Its true and its happening everywhere. Saw a couple of dudes with envelopes stuffed with 100's walking up the line giving it to their minions. I wrote a thread about it and some moron accused me of assuming they were asian, that I am racist, and that I was assuming they were going back to be resold and I should think about all the people trying to get it for a family member over there yadda yadda yadda. It became a racial thread which is ridiculous. I have absolutely no problem with someone getting these to send to a family member because they're stupid expensive there etc. That is not what is going on here for the most part, this is an organized, money making exploitation and its depriving a lot of people from being able to enjoy an ipad.

There is a major difference between being able to recognize people by race and not liking them because of their race. Can't we just admit the truth of whats going on?

melterx12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2010
It's not illegal. If you're that determined to get an iPad wake up even earlier, or just wait a month, it won't kill you to wait.

(No, I'm not Asian.)

Cici123

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2011
Since Apple did not take pre-orders, the one iPad per customer rule should have been implemented. It's not fair for customers who actually want an iPad and waited in line can't get one. I know, some people say wake up early to get in line. However, some people do have responsibilities and need to work to pay rent and bill and put food on the table.

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England
Funny. People get P.O.'d when Apple tries to slow down gray marketers by refusing cash and then Apple P.O.'s people when they accept cash allowing gray marketers to buy like anyone else.

As the quip goes, you can't have your Kate and Edith too.

But that only really applies if it's the same people complaining in both scenarios.

Personally, I rarely use cash so I couldn't care less if Apple didn't accept it.

I think a better quip is "You can't please everyone".

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
Since Apple did not take pre-orders, the one iPad per customer rule should have been implemented. It's not fair for customers who actually want an iPad and waited in line can't get one. I know, some people say wake up early to get in line. However, some people do have responsibilities and need to work to pay rent and bill and put food on the table.

That right there is the problem. For the most part, the scalpers are only buying one iPad per person. A mastermind is standing outside (not on Apple property) and giving money to individuals telling them to buy just one or two each.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
We have ONLY Apple to blame for this as they lacked stock for a new product introduction! They knew it but decided to go ahead and introduce the iPad2 likely a month or tow early just because of their greed.

No hard done as their loyal fan base will forgive them for anything!

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
But that only really applies if it's the same people complaining in both scenarios.

Personally, I rarely use cash so I couldn't care less if Apple didn't accept it.

I think a better quip is "You can't please everyone".

Yes, plus there are other options for people who can't pay with anything other than cash. You can get a prepaid credit card for $3 at any grocery store or gas station. Although the scalpers would probably figure this out quickly enough too.

melterx12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2010
You are missing the point though..

No I get it but what I mean is that whatever the intention is, someone in line for an iPad 2 should still get one. To apple a sale is still a sale, they're a company interested on profit. They don't and SHOULDN'T care about what the customer does with the product he just bought.

shadrap

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2009
Mayberry
No I get it but what I mean is that whatever the intention is, someone in line for an iPad 2 should still get one. To apple a sale is still a sale, they're a company interested on profit. They don't and SHOULDN'T care about what the customer does with the product he just bought.

But they do. They don't want you jailbreaking for example. Buying Apple is more than buying an electronic device. You are buying the whole experience. Yet they went a route that allows scalpers to ruin it.

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
Hmm..

Anyone given any thought to the ironic disparity that we're seeing here?

An American capitalist company designing products that are made in a communist country and imported back to the capitalist nation. Then, in turn, capitalistic communists are exporting said products back to the communist nation at the expense of the capitalists.

Is this the political equivalent of a shell game?

GadgetAddict

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 10, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I emailed a few Apple execs for this issue and Ron Johnson was kind enough to respond. He said they are aware of the issue but,

We are legally not allowed to discriminate against customers, to profile customers or to restrict purchases.

Which of course is absolutely right. However I do think that pre-orders/reservations, 1 per customer and CC would help with this problem.

I do not feel comfortable posting the whole email. I have no reason to lie, so whoever does not believe me, so be it.

ccsicecoke

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
After I get pissed and/or curious I do crazy stuff.. So I decided to get up really early today, go by a couple of Apple stores and check my chances of getting an iPad 2.

Around 5am I was at the West 14th store. My jaw almost dropped... 400+ waiting in line! 350+ were asian scalpers and they were up front of course. They had chairs and sleeping bags, clearly they had spent the night there.

20 mins later, around 5.20am, I was at the Upper West Side store. Line was smaller but again 200+. Once again the vast majority were asians and they were up front. Same situation, sleeping bags and everything. I did not even bother with the 5th Av and SoHo stores. I was looking for a 32/64 gig AT&T model, the ones that have the most demand so I did not even bother to wait in line. 200x2 = 400 iPads to be sold before me and I doubt the UWS gets high volumes daily.

I have nothing against Asians and I am not a racist. But I have much against these scalpers. All those being "liberal" and "open minded" saying US is a free country and everyone can do anything they want with their iPads once they buy them, essentially backing up the scalpers, well, you speak because you have NO idea what's going on in NYC. All the smarta$$ comments of "get up and go earlier" do not apply here. The asians have simply dominated. All those complaining that NY gets the most of the shipments, again, we are not buying them!! From what I have seen and read since launch day, I strongly believe that 90% of all iPad 2s sold in NYC go straight to the gray market.

So I am sorry to say this but for anyone in NYC, do not waste your time. This has been getting worse day by day and we are now at the point where it is simply impossible to get an iPad 2 from the Apple stores. Unless Apple does something I only see this getting worse until the gray market is saturated. It comes to show the power of masses...

From what I've heard there is no iPad 2 today in both W14st store and upper west side. Those waiting in line for hours are screwed

SoybeanStasher

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2008
Anyone given any thought to the ironic disparity that we're seeing here?

An American capitalist company designing products that are made in a communist country and imported back to the capitalist nation. Then, in turn, capitalistic communists are exporting said products back to the communist nation at the expense of the capitalists.

Is this the political equivalent of a shell game?
Heh. Personally I think it's great that the Chinese (assuming these are headed for Hong Kong and the rest of mainland China) are embracing capitalism. Let 'em resell I say.

MSUSpartan

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2008
Their desire to make a couple hundred bucks by waiting for countless hours is worth it to them. It's obviously not worth it to us since we have better jobs with better pay and can afford to have a luxury item like the iPad. Their desire to make that money is greater than your desire to own an iPad that's all. If not, just take a day off and wait a night out for one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.