Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DevGrousis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
I have 2 different versions of Windows 7 ISO's on my windows xp side, and for some reason burning them to disks doesnt seem to do anything.

I've heard you can use a USB to boot from that

my problem so far is that i cant get my MBP to boot from CD, because i cant enter BIOS in order to tell it to do that.

can anyone give me any info?

Macbook Pro 13inch from 2009ish

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
can anyone give me any info?

A couple of things:

1. Macs have no BIOS. To boot from optical disc you hold the Alt/Option or "C" buttons during boot.
  2. USB boot of legacy OSes (Windows) is generally not well supported on the Mac.
  3. How are you burning the ISO?

B

Nov 28, 2010
located
Macs don't have a BIOS, they have EFI.

Anyway, to boot from a bootable Windows DVD, you just need to hold down OPTION/ALT right after the startup sound chimes. Then you should be able to boot from that DVD.
I don't know if you can just upgrade Windows XP to Windows 7 like that, maybe MRoogle can find you some threads about this.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

simsaladimbamba said:
Macs don't have a BIOS, they have EFI.

Anyway, to boot from a bootable Windows DVD, you just need to hold down OPTION/ALT right after the startup sound chimes. Then you should be able to boot from that DVD.
I don't know if you can just upgrade Windows XP to Windows 7 like that, maybe MRoogle can find you some threads about this.

XP to W7 is a custom install, which basically means backup, install, migrate.

IMHO the best approach for W7 over XP is to do a clean install with upgrade media as described at winsupersite.

B

Nov 28, 2010
located
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

XP to W7 is a custom install, which basically means backup, install, migrate.

IMHO the best approach for W7 over XP is to do a clean install with upgrade media as described at winsupersite.

B

Does that mean, the "backup" process needs an external HDD or extra partition to backup to?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England

Yes. There is no in-place upgrade path for XP to 7. IIRC you can also burn your data to an optical disc.

B

Nov 28, 2010
located

Yes. There is no in-place upgrade path for XP to 7. IIRC you can also burn your data to an optical disc.

B

Thanks. Windows 5.1 is ten years old anyway.

DevGrousis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
i used Magic ISO to burn the iso files onto the disk.

when i hear the startup chime and hold down Option, all i get is to choose between Mac OS partition and my Windows partition, there is no option to run from CD.

Do you think it would be easier if i were to get ahold of Windows Vista, install that, then upgrade to 7?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Do you think it would be easier if i were to get ahold of Windows Vista, install that, then upgrade to 7?

Shouldn't be.

Depending on the source of the ISO, it may not be bootable. So you have a couple of options.

Use the "official" ISO from Microsoft (http://techpp.com/2009/11/11/download-windows-7-iso-official-direct-download-links/) and just use your activation key.

If that doesn't work, you should make sure that the CD you burned boots in a regular PC and if so try different media. Superdrives can be picky.

B

Joshuarocks

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2011
Somewhere in Cyberspace
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.