Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theLaika

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2010
Vancouver, BC
My 2.4Ghz Core2Duo 4GB RAM (Ver. 10.6.6) MacBook hangs on every option in the System Preferences Panel ,also, I'm getting beach balls on the right side of my taskbar (Display, Time and Date, User & Spotlight).
There's also some slow-down in a number of other areas.

I've tried already to fix this by a general disk permissions repair, tried turning off spotlight (can't access), deleting unused startup items (just to clean up) and checked the activity monitor for wayward CPU addicts. I'm still stuck though after multiple Disk permissions repairs. Is there a point where I should find another method to repair my disk? Is there something I should be looking for to troubleshoot my issue?

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
Did you get any permissions errors ? Presumably you are getting a lot of beachballs ?

Sounds like the hard disc is dying - how old is the MacBook and do you have a back up ?

What does the S.M.A.R.T. status say (System Profiler>Hardware>Serial-ATA and click on your hard disc) ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.