PDA

View Full Version : 700mhz eMac CPU Overclock

bigbadmac
Feb 22, 2005, 03:55 PM
Hi all! I've been getting quite a few emails and even a few phone calls about my old 700mhz overclock site. I sold Studio-Northwest.com and therefore no longer have the domain name that I was using for my hakz page.

However, I'm working on a new site for all you 700mhz eMac owners to visit. Until I get it up and running, I'll take Questions here and post the replies for all to see.

I'm going to post a few basics right up front to get you started. Best of luck to you all and stay tuned for the new site on its way.

bigbadmac
Feb 22, 2005, 04:07 PM
I'm assuming you all know that your are the only one resposible should something go wrong. That said, let's get started.

I set up my eMac so I can change the jumper settings at any time without taking the eMac appart. Although I only cover modding the eMac in this way, you can use the basic info to do a straight solder bridge overclock if you wish. I did the mod with a changeable jumper so I could experiment with the different settings.

bigbadmac
Feb 22, 2005, 04:11 PM
Here's what you'll need to mod your eMac the same way I did...

Basic Materials: jumper jack ( I salvaged one off a dead SCSI drive ), Ribbon Cable, Solder, Solder Paste ( easier to use than solder ), Flux, Solder Wick, Soldering Iron ( adjustable temp preffered )

Mechcozmo
Feb 22, 2005, 04:12 PM
So, you changing your sig anytime soon?

bigbadmac
Feb 22, 2005, 04:17 PM
Remove the motherboard from your eMac. ( I'll get a link up later for instruction for this )

The area we want to remove the old jumpers is located on the bottom of the MB, same side as your RAM modules. I've highlighted the area in red.

bigbadmac
Feb 22, 2005, 04:22 PM
So, you changing your sig anytime soon?

Done!

bigbadmac
Feb 22, 2005, 04:31 PM
Here's an image of the highlighted area. There are 5 jumper positions for the CPU clock control. They are R1506, R1509, R1512, R1515, and R1518. R1512 was not installed on my eMac

bigbadmac
Feb 22, 2005, 04:39 PM
Here's the shortcut version:

Prior to removing any jumpers, take a look at the table below. Only remove the jumpers you have to to get the disired CPU overclock. To create a jumper, us enough solder to bridge the pads.

Since the table was made for my jumper connector, here's a cross reference to the Resistor numbers.

R1506 = A1 and A2
R1509 = B1 and B2
R1512 = C1 and C2
R1515 = D1 and D2
R1518 = E1 and E2

bigbadmac
Feb 22, 2005, 04:48 PM
So... to do a quick overclock, here's the combination of removing jumpers to give you the speeds that are tested. I'm only listing speed that can be atained without having to solder anything in place.

850 MHz: Remove R1509. This is tested STABLE.

900 MHz: Remove R1509, R1515, and R1518. This is tested STABLE.

950 MHz: Remove R1509 and R1515. This is tested STABLE running a little HOT.

1.0 GHz: Remove R1506 and R1518. This is UNTESTED. May cause system lockups and CPU overheating.

That's it for now... if you want to know how I did the changeable jumpers, request it here and I'll post more info... Good Luck, and let me know how it goes.

guylan
Feb 25, 2005, 12:39 PM
I have an eMac 700 Generation 1 logic board.

I am interested in making this thing work.
I have spent nearly 4 hours of reading all of the forums I can find and looked at all of the iMac conversions that have been done and the g2 eMac conversions but allas none of those help as this board is totally different.

I have ram, HD, CD-RW, ATX case and 400w ATX p/s, and a 17" external monitor.

1) Has anyone figured out the pins for the down converter connector (mine has 20 pins)
2) Has anyone figured out the blind mate connector for the video and which one to use? (mine has 2 of them)

bigbadmac
Feb 27, 2005, 02:09 AM
Check the 800 MHz thread. I passed my eMac to my younger brother and am now on an iBook... I would venture to say that the pinouts would be the same or close to the 800. I beleive Leo has that info.

800 MHz thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=1293733#post1293733)

guylan
Mar 5, 2005, 08:54 AM
I have looked through that post till I am blue in the face LOL and still nothing about the GEN 1 emac....I just bought a 700mhz emac but now I am wondering if I can power the LOGIC BOARD using the voltages on the DOWN CONVERTER board connector or if I actually have to power the LOGIC BOARD from a BLIND MATE connector? What concerns me is to use the BLIND MATE, I have to get a DOWN CONVERTER board.

bigbadmac
Mar 6, 2005, 12:44 PM
You could probably make this work without the down converter but you're back to square one needing the pinnout. I should have kept the ole' 700 for further work on these mods. My brother really needed a Mac so I sent it off. I'll do a little digging around and see if I can come up with some info... I seem to recal some sites in Japan that had some info. More later...

guylan
Mar 6, 2005, 09:14 PM
Ok I bought a 700mhz mac off of eBay to just get these voltages!!!

ok here are the updated Blind-Mate pin outs with the proper polarizations...

Blind-mate nearest CPU

PIN, OFF, ON
1, 12.14v, 18.43v
3, 7.3v, 11v
5, 7.3v, 11v
7, 0, 0.4v
9, 13.89v, 0.71v
11, 5v, 5v
13, 0.115v, 12v
15, 0.115v, 12v
17, 0.115v, 12v
19, 11.13v, 17.41v
pins 2,4,6,8,10,12,14,16,18, and 20 were all GND

Blind-mate nearest External Connections
1 Mic (+)
2 Mic Signal
3 Mic GND
4 Mic GND
5 Light (+)
6 Light (-)
11 Fan Sense (RPM)
13 Right Speaker (+)
15 Right Speaker (-)
17 Left Speaker (-)
18 Fan GND
19 Left Speaker (+)
20 Fan 12v
Pins 7,8,9,10,12,14, and 16 had no connections
* notice that pins 15 and 17 were the (-) for the speakers this would support comon ground.

MiniVan
Apr 13, 2005, 03:34 PM
Hi, is this the right thread for looking at overclocking my 800Mhz GeForce2 MX eMac that i purchased form Apple in Oct 2002.

The reason i ask is that i gather from reading the posts that 700Mhz tends to imply Gen 1, 800 Mhz = Gen 2, (maybe 1Ghz = Gen3?).

That said, has anybody had success overclocking a 800Mhz Gen 1. What reliable max speed did they see? Is the 7455 shipped in the 800Mhz Gen 1 machine more likely to reach the 1Ghz 'max' that is implied in posting #8...?

:)

sfisher59
May 28, 2005, 01:33 PM
Here's an image of the highlighted area. There are 5 jumper positions for the CPU clock control. They are R1506, R1509, R1512, R1515, and R1518. R1512 was not installed on my eMac

Is R1509 the jumper by the carat ( > ) , in the MB prep photo? :confused:

netjosh_granada
Jun 12, 2005, 02:16 PM
Hi, is this the right thread for looking at overclocking my 800Mhz GeForce2 MX eMac that i purchased form Apple in Oct 2002.

The reason i ask is that i gather from reading the posts that 700Mhz tends to imply Gen 1, 800 Mhz = Gen 2, (maybe 1Ghz = Gen3?).

That said, has anybody had success overclocking a 800Mhz Gen 1. What reliable max speed did they see? Is the 7455 shipped in the 800Mhz Gen 1 machine more likely to reach the 1Ghz 'max' that is implied in posting #8...?

:)

I have a Gen1 700 Mhz GeForce2 MX eMac equipped with an 7455 G4 processor, and I've been able to overclock it up to 1.2 Ghz without any problem. I have not even needed to raise the CPU voltage. You just have to find the Motorola MPC7455 data sheet (pdf) and adjust the pinout to whichever speed your computer is stable.

I have to say that my eMac is less stable at 1.2 Ghz than before the speed bump, but I have lowered it's speed up to 1.1 Ghz and now it runs flawlessly.

If you have any question, just say it...

aero911
Jun 13, 2005, 10:50 PM
So I loaded Tiger on my emac 700 and found it too slow. So I came to this thread looking for answers. I've recently upgraded the HDD to a 160 GB Western Digital and the optical drive to a Pioneer DVR-109 superdrive. So I'm comfortable working inside the emac.

I overclocked my emac to 900 Mhz, which is marked as stable above.

BUT THEN

I rebooted, and to test for a performance gain, I attempted to play a DVD in a window and surf on Safari at the same time (the About This Mac screen showed 900Mhz G4). Then it locked up about a minute later and I had to use the power button to turn it off. I waited about 10 minutes, then turned her back on. I got booted up, but almost as soon as I had, I got a kernal panic. Now I'm scared to turn it back on!

I can't imagine what I've done differently than anybody else. I just flicked those little jumpers off the mobo with an exacto knife; and no, I didn't hit anything else on the board whilst I was doing it. I heard tell of 1.1 Ghz running stable on someone else's emac, so why the poor show on mine?

Help! I seriously doubt that I can solder anything that tiny.

bigbadmac
Jun 14, 2005, 01:27 PM
Just a reminder to all who want to overclock their eMacs. If you are not sure how to properly desolder components, your eMac is not where you want to practice. Buy a cheap calculator or something like that to practice on. You want to be able to remove components without damage to the board and idealy, solder the components back on and have the unit work.

If you do not have the proper tools and technique, the chance of doing damage goes up significantly. I cannot stress this enough as I have seen several bad experiences on this hack. If you're not sure or comfortable with your tools or skills, JUST DON'T DO IT!

Mac Gyver01
Jul 10, 2005, 06:07 AM
[QUOTE=guylan]Ok I bought a 700mhz mac off of eBay to just get these voltages!!!

ok here are the updated Blind-Mate pin outs with the proper polarizations...

Blind-mate nearest CPU

PIN, OFF, ON
1, 12.14v, 18.43v
3, 7.3v, 11v
5, 7.3v, 11v
7, 0, 0.4v
9, 13.89v, 0.71v
11, 5v, 5v
13, 0.115v, 12v
15, 0.115v, 12v
17, 0.115v, 12v
19, 11.13v, 17.41v
pins 2,4,6,8,10,12,14,16,18, and 20 were all GND

Witch pin are 12 V- 5 V to Atx ??

What are the VGa pin to this Board ??

alagahd
Jul 30, 2005, 10:56 PM
Thanks to guylan for his pinouts.

I'm planning on resurrecting a 700MHz eMac with and ATX Power Supply and an Apple VGA Display Adapter for the video signal (as I'm not sure where the VGA pins are on the logic board). [Found 'em. See my next posting below.]

I'd like to keep the Down Converter per Leo Bodnar's Headless eMac <http://www.lbodnar.dsl.pipex.com/eServer/> (http://www.lbodnar.dsl.pipex.com/eServer/), but I'm concerned about his providing only 12V in placed where 20V are used.

"...I suggest to keep the down-converter board. You can, of course, get 12V, 5V and 3.3V from a standard ATX power supply but then you need to generate 2.5V. Linear regulator should be enough as this is not a high current circuit. After all the trouble with breadboards you will wish you'd kept the down-converter. If you are trying to fit eMac into a slim case you can always turn DCB on its side and use ribbon cable to connect it to LB."

"We take an easy route here and use 12V to replace original 20V and 19V power. The result is that DCB cannot produce 12V out of 12V so the DCB output reaches only about 11V which may be too low for HDD or optical drive. But as I said above, get drives powered up by PSU directly to solve that."

Has anybody successfully used an ATX Power Supply working using the Down Converter on an eMac 700MHz logic board?

Demon Hunter
Jul 30, 2005, 11:44 PM
So practically speaking... we have an eMac/700 in our house, for nothing too demanding, I definitely notice the slowness though in everyday tasks. Does a jump to 900 make it that much faster? Opinions?

You want to be able to remove components without damage to the board and idealy, solder the components back on and have the unit work.

So true... I picture the film "Psycho", an exacto-knife, jumpers flying... *cue dentist drill horror sound effects*

I heard tell of 1.1 Ghz running stable on someone else's emac, so why the poor show on mine?

When a chip comes off the fab, they have different qualities, because a chemical process is never perfect or 100% exact. The chip makers use speed standards, essentially hertz, to measure this. When you buy your computer it's rated at a given speed, say 700Mhz. It may be able to run faster, but the manufacturer (Apple, Dell) will "clock-down" to differentiate models and create price segments. Some chips may never go faster than their rated speed... others can go far beyond. Overclocking, then, is finding the limit.

So basically... you may need to solder afterall. Overclocking is also about patience and tweaking until it's just right. Sorry mate. I know you can do it!

cueball
Aug 5, 2005, 09:08 PM
After reading all this and and rereading this i finally decided to give it a try. At first I tried a 133 fsb change. No go. Replaced it back to 100 fsb and everything is fine. THen I reread this forum and try to go from a 800mhz Gen1 to a 950mhz gen1. No go. Then I realize that I have another resistor missing...maybe I knocked it off when I remove one of the others. So i make a bridge for that jumper. I compare it to the pictures posted here and everything looks right. It chimes, the light on the front comes on but then......nada. Anyone have any ideas? I am tired of looking through a magnifying glass. I have done lots of other hacks, ps, xbox, and so forth. I have a little time with the soldering iron under my belt but right now I am screwed..

alagahd
Aug 9, 2005, 02:41 PM
I found the video connector near the heat-sinked video chip on the logic board (see upper right of logic board). It's clear which are the RGB and HSYNC and VSYNC pins. Once I figure out the ???s, I'll try putting a VGA connector on the other end of the original video cable to the logic board.

eMac 700 Video Connector:

1 2
B video 3 4 B Return
G video 5 6 G Return
R video 7 8 R Return
??? 9 10 ???
V sync 11 12 ???
H sync 13 14 ???
??? 15 16 ???
??? 17 18

martdaman
Aug 15, 2005, 06:18 AM
hi people,

I have a big problem i done this mod and i put the computer back together. plugged her into the wall pushed the power button it starts up light comes on at the front etc it makes the sound but nothing comes up onto the screen? Whats going on?

Please can someone help?

Demon Hunter
Aug 18, 2005, 08:01 PM
I compare it to the pictures posted here and everything looks right. It chimes, the light on the front comes on but then......nada. Anyone have any ideas?

hi people,

I have a big problem i done this mod and i put the computer back together. plugged her into the wall pushed the power button it starts up light comes on at the front etc it makes the sound but nothing comes up onto the screen? Whats going on?

Please can someone help?

This usually indicates that your soldering is incomplete. The jumper isn't registering so the computer fails to start up. This is why the hard disk spins and you hear the chime, but the processor doesn't know what to do.

Resolder the jumper and you should be okay. Make sure that there's enough solder on both sides.

bigbadmac
Oct 3, 2005, 02:30 PM
Don't forget that the jumpers are nothing more than zero ohm resistors. You can use a solder bridge or a wire in place of the jumper. I have found that it is sometimes easer to work with a thin wire in an "L" shape so you have something to hold onto. Once soldered in place, trim the excess wire.

the_new_guy
Oct 11, 2005, 12:15 AM
hey i want to increase the fsb of my second gen emac 1ghz is it possible? how do i do it?
i have changed the multiplier and also Vcore. wanted to stress the ram a get a bit more out of it, have sinks on them, and am liquid cooling the Cpu,

thanks
mohit

thebob
Oct 24, 2005, 06:30 AM
Hi bigbadmac. I'd like the info on the old jumper block mod for the 700 emac

Thanks.

bigbadmac
Jan 26, 2006, 05:52 PM
Hi bigbadmac. I'd like the info on the old jumper block mod for the 700 emac

Thanks.

Oie!! I'm realy truly trying to get all this good stuff put together on a website. If I could only clone myself about half a dozen times I could get evetything done! Anyway, check every other week or so at www.bigbadmac.com (http://www.bigbadmac.com). I tend to get things done in spurts between projects...

settledown
Feb 8, 2006, 10:59 AM
It worked, I removed the three jumper resistors and Presto! is was a 900mhz machine.

While I had the machine open I did the following:
Replaced the HD with a 120GB Maxtor from BestBuy $70 (i could have found a better price but I had a gift card)
Replaced the CD-RW(non DVD) with a superdrive(DVD-RW/CD-RW) from Newegg $34

This machine now has life to last another year or so I'd bet.

I didnt take pictures, but I will answer any questions you guys post. Bigbadmac's info is invaluable. The eMac is not the easiest Mac tear down, but it is managable. Use the manuals linked to in this thread. Log your screws locations. And those jumpers ARE small. Since I only had to remove them, it wasn't so bad. But if your overclock requires soldering on a jumper, that would be harder.

Good luck to you.

pouya099
Feb 25, 2006, 04:13 PM
hi Guys
i am new to Forums.
Any way, i have tried to overclock my 700Mhz emac to 800 and 850 (another try) and both failed.:( I get the boot chime but there is no video image. I put the resistor back in place and it is back to 700Mhz and video all good. Why i get this i can't work it out. Any ideas????? please help.
Emac is 700Mhz, ATI graphics model.

thanks
p.)

Garrison Miller
Mar 1, 2006, 08:58 PM
My 700mhz emac keeps shutting down, powering off, after running for a few minutes. It will power up, boot, and run properly then suddenly shut down like it has been unplugged. I have tried zapping the pram, unplugging it for over an hour, turning off energy saver and screen saver, etc. Anybody have any suggestions or ideas?

reudan
Mar 27, 2006, 01:15 PM
Hi all! I've been getting quite a few emails and even a few phone calls about my old 700mhz overclock site. I sold Studio-Northwest.com and therefore no longer have the domain name that I was using for my hakz page.

However, I'm working on a new site for all you 700mhz eMac owners to visit. Until I get it up and running, I'll take Questions here and post the replies for all to see.

I'm going to post a few basics right up front to get you started. Best of luck to you all and stay tuned for the new site on its way.

I'm new in this forum and I'm not sure if I'm in the right place; however i'll ask my question:

I have an eMac 700mhz (P69) with a Combo Pioneer drive, and an external FireWire hard drive. I bought them four years ago as an educator (as you remember, only educators were then privileged (:-) to get it with a Combo drive).

While I had to change the location of the computer, I disconnected the external hard drive from the computer, and when I tried to reconnected it, I did not look how I put the FW plug upside down in one of the FW sockets of the computer, thinking hat it can not enter wrongly, but it enterred quite EASY!
When I booted the Mac and switched on the FW drive it did not appeared on the display; then I found my mistake. After I put the plug right - the FW drive did not appeare either. When I checked the System Profiler it did not find the FireWire in the Computer ANYMORE! So I was left with the 12bit/s USB 1.1.

I asked the only Apple laboratory in Israel ("Yeda") to fix it - they said I have to replace the whole motherboard! The price they want is beyond my budget.
Is it possible to fix just the FireWire?

Reuven

Redline13
Mar 27, 2006, 03:19 PM
It's possible but you would have to be pretty good with a soldering gun. In the end it's probably not worth fixing. If your determined though don't let me stop you.

mmmcheese
Mar 27, 2006, 06:30 PM
My 700mhz emac keeps shutting down, powering off, after running for a few minutes. It will power up, boot, and run properly then suddenly shut down like it has been unplugged. I have tried zapping the pram, unplugging it for over an hour, turning off energy saver and screen saver, etc. Anybody have any suggestions or ideas?

Sounds like a heat problem...no overclock is guaranteed, so it sounds like your chip just can't handle it.

Leach
May 7, 2006, 03:12 PM
I was wondering if any one could point me in the right direction. I've overclocked my emac to 900mhz but the problem is it won't boot. The fan turns on and you can hear it turn on for a second or two (I don't mean a start up chime) then it stops, the LED never comes on. If anyone knows what I may have messed up any help would be appreciated.

mmmcheese
May 7, 2006, 04:36 PM
I was wondering if any one could point me in the right direction. I've overclocked my emac to 900mhz but the problem is it won't boot. The fan turns on and you can hear it turn on for a second or two (I don't mean a start up chime) then it stops, the LED never comes on. If anyone knows what I may have messed up any help would be appreciated.

You pushed it too far. Either 1) It's not getting enough voltage (beyond your control). 2) The processor is just not capable of those speeds. 3) You fubared your processor.

Try it back at the stock speeds...if it doesn't work, you're likely SOL.

Leach
May 8, 2006, 12:34 AM
You pushed it too far. Either 1) It's not getting enough voltage (beyond your control). 2) The processor is just not capable of those speeds. 3) You fubared your processor.

Try it back at the stock speeds...if it doesn't work, you're likely SOL.

Thanks I'll try that

bodahl
May 13, 2006, 01:30 PM
hi Guys
i am new to Forums.
Any way, i have tried to overclock my 700Mhz emac to 800 and 850 (another try) and both failed.:( I get the boot chime but there is no video image. I put the resistor back in place and it is back to 700Mhz and video all good. Why i get this i can't work it out. Any ideas????? please help.
Emac is 700Mhz, ATI graphics model.

thanks
p.)

I have the same problem.:mad:

B.D

big robbie
May 16, 2006, 04:43 PM
How do you get the video out to work on an Emac 700mhz
I have read that it will only work on an 800mhz

robbie

Sep 25, 2006, 02:27 PM
Just a note to say i've had a 1st generation 700Mhz eMac sitting in a closet for close to a year. It came in a lot of G4 'Yikes' and 'Sawtooth' computers i'd bought at a local school auction.

Of course, the analog board was dead, so I robbed the hard drive and RAM out of it to put in one of the 400MHz Sawtooth towers, and in the closet it remained until a few days ago when I was thinking i'd like to get a faster chip for my Sawtooth to put me in the 900Mhz range or so.

So armed with the info i'd gleened of the 'net both here and other places, i'm happy to report i'm now posting this message on that very same eMac, sprawled all over my desk!

Overclocked to 900Mhz and running cool as a cucumber. I'm powering the board with an old Compaq power supply I robbed out of a Pentium I desktop computer right thru the 'blind mate' port nearest the CPU, feeding it +5 and +12 volts from the Compaq PI supply.

For video, I chopped off one end of an old KVM cable and spliced it into the video connector right on the logic board and using a 17" Apple Studio Display for a monitor.. working perfectly at 1280x960 @ Mllions of colors running MacOSX 10.3.9 with 768MB RAM (1 512MB and 1 256MB stick)

Now i'm not speed freak.. I actually found the 400Mhz chip in the G4 Sawtooth to be just fine for web surfing, eMail, and coding, but when it came to using PhotoShop CS or Macromedia Flash MX it was just a little too chuggy for my tastes.. and was real close to buying a 900Mhz-ish 'QuickSilver' CPU to put in the Sawtooth.. but with eBay prices on those chips in the $100+ range, combined with the hassles of relocating the IDE port, or engineering a new heat sink seemed like too much time, money, and work.

So thanks to the folks who took the time and effort to chronicle their findings and pinout information here, for both the 'headless' mods, as well as the 1st gen overclock info.

I'll run this at 900Mhz for awhile and figure out what i'm going to do for a 'box', and might attempt to clock it a little higher in the future.. 1.2Ghz sure would be nice!

sadpony
Jan 20, 2007, 10:31 AM
HI, am new to the forum, but read all the postings on this emac gen 1 overclocking upgrade. i have just performed this upgrade myself.

i have an emac 800 gen 1. after much trouble i have gotten it to 900mhz. 1ghz and 950 just seem to cause problems, not sure why exactly. anyways, the machine boots and loads osx fine. but i find it hangs a lot. the machine seemed slugish to begin with though. when the system hangs, i can still move my mouse around and it will eventually start working again. i just don't remember it being this bad at 800mhz.

i read about each chip being different and how one may be able to be overclocked to 1ghz, where for example mine is struggling with 900.

Now i am wondering if it is the overclocking causeing the hang or a bad hard drive. i remember using this emac at 800mhz when i first got it and thought wow, slow. mind you i have been on my macbook promost of the time. the system has 768 memory. I am also wondering how to understand the jumpersettings. i would like to try 867mhz before i try 850. just not sure how to do it.

thanks

iYahooo
Feb 3, 2007, 02:45 AM
I did it yestarday with my friend from work... Everything is just as you said. Unfortunatly it wasn't so easy to get my mac apart :) but we did it and my eMac G4 700 is now G4 900MHz. It's stable...

Many thanks, and good luck to the others :)

P.S. sorry for my english :)

thesmithster
Mar 3, 2007, 03:47 PM
I have a Gen1 700 Mhz GeForce2 MX eMac equipped with an 7455 G4 processor, and I've been able to overclock it up to 1.2 Ghz without any problem. I have not even needed to raise the CPU voltage. You just have to find the Motorola MPC7455 data sheet (pdf) and adjust the pinout to whichever speed your computer is stable.

I have to say that my eMac is less stable at 1.2 Ghz than before the speed bump, but I have lowered it's speed up to 1.1 Ghz and now it runs flawlessly.

If you have any question, just say it...

Hi - do you have the detail of the jumper settings for the speed upgrade you have done?

Thanks - Smiddey:D

Larry767
Nov 27, 2008, 02:15 PM
i'm happy to report i'm now posting this message on that very same eMac, sprawled all over my desk!

I'm powering the board with an old Compaq power supply I robbed out of a Pentium I desktop computer right thru the 'blind mate' port nearest the CPU, feeding it +5 and +12 volts from the Compaq PI supply.

For video, I chopped off one end of an old KVM cable and spliced it into the video connector right on the logic board and using a 17" Apple Studio Display for a monitor.. working perfectly at 1280x960 @ Mllions of colors running MacOSX 10.3.9 with 768MB RAM (1 512MB and 1 256MB stick)

Maybe I'm missing something but I still done see a (complete) map of the 700 MHz eMac video connector to a standard VGA connector. Can you explain which wires from your monitor cable you connected to which pins on the logic board connector to make it work?

And why doesn't it work to just use the video port right beside the ethernet port?

Racing1
Apr 7, 2009, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the info. Works great.. Overclocked my 700 mhz to 900 mhz and it is running awesome. Now I am debating on upgrading to OS X leopard....

isbamike
May 3, 2009, 07:40 PM
Does anyone have any feedback as to the experiences with eMac 700 overclocked 900mhz running Lepoard? Also has anyone added more than 1gig of ram to their eMac?

Popcornbrown
Mar 20, 2011, 05:53 PM
Does anyone have any feedback as to the experiences with eMac 700 overclocked 900mhz running Lepoard? Also has anyone added more than 1gig of ram to their eMac?

I have done this but artifacts show up on the screen and it is really laggy. :apple:

mulo
Mar 20, 2011, 06:57 PM
kinda trolling but anyone know how to overclock a dual 1.8GHz g5?

California
Mar 20, 2011, 08:06 PM
kinda trolling but anyone know how to overclock a dual 1.8GHz g5?

You cannot do it, or at least no one has tried it on a G5 Powermac.

WGoins88
Mar 20, 2011, 08:29 PM
I wouldn't attempt it if it was possible. G5s run hot from the factory, and more heat certainly won't help. ;)

California
Mar 20, 2011, 10:07 PM
I think all he can do with that G5 dual processor is upgrade to a 2.0 dual logic board? Neither are liquid cooled and neither should be confused with the dual CORE G5s.

Ludacrisvp
May 3, 2013, 06:54 PM
(Super Bump)

Just used this info to overclock an eMac I inherited from my brother's wife from when she went to college (still has its original box / packaging too!).

Its a 1st Gen G4 (2002) @ 800Mhz 256MB PC-133 w/ 100Mhz bus w/ Nvidia graphics w/ 60Gb HDD w/ Super Drive.
Model PowerMac4,4

OC'd to 1GHz, borrowed some additional RAM (now 512MB PC-133).
Re-used a 320Gb 7200RPM PATA drive that was laying around to replace the 60Gb.
Re-used a Sony DVD RW PATA drive that was also laying around, apparently Apple must have used this drive in some Mac as it is detected as Apple Shipping Drive.
Depending on how well it works I may spend the $50 to get 1Gb of RAM.
Working on installing Leopard now since it exceeds the CPU speed minimum requirements, and now meets RAM minimums.

I went from the 800MHz stable setup (OEM for my machine) and went directly to the 1GHz speed based on the fact that the 700Mhz model could do 900 Stable I figured since mine was clocked higher it may have been a better quality processor since it was OEM rated higher so I tried the same MHz boost amount.
It has been running for several hours and seems cool, ran in firewire target mode for a while too without issues.

http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21153&stc=1&d=1109111940

The Leopard installer is running now....

This is just a for fun Mac as I have a MacPro3,1 (Early 2008 dual quad @ 2.8GHz 18Gb DDR2-800) and MacBook Pro 15" (early 2008? 4,1 or 5,1 cannot remember right now)

666sheep
May 4, 2013, 10:00 AM
OCing G4s is fun, isn't it? :D

Giuly
May 4, 2013, 10:34 AM
(Super Bump)

Just used this info to overclock an eMac I inherited from my brother's wife from when she went to college (still has its original box / packaging too!).

Its a 1st Gen G4 (2002) @ 800Mhz 256MB PC-133 w/ 100Mhz bus w/ Nvidia graphics w/ 60Gb HDD w/ Super Drive.
Model PowerMac4,4

OC'd to 1GHz, borrowed some additional RAM (now 512MB PC-133).
Re-used a 320Gb 7200RPM PATA drive that was laying around to replace the 60Gb.
Re-used a Sony DVD RW PATA drive that was also laying around, apparently Apple must have used this drive in some Mac as it is detected as Apple Shipping Drive.
Depending on how well it works I may spend the $50 to get 1Gb of RAM.
Working on installing Leopard now since it exceeds the CPU speed minimum requirements, and now meets RAM minimums.

I went from the 800MHz stable setup (OEM for my machine) and went directly to the 1GHz speed based on the fact that the 700Mhz model could do 900 Stable I figured since mine was clocked higher it may have been a better quality processor since it was OEM rated higher so I tried the same MHz boost amount.
It has been running for several hours and seems cool, ran in firewire target mode for a while too without issues.

Image (http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21153&stc=1&d=1109111940)

The Leopard installer is running now....

This is just a for fun Mac as I have a MacPro3,1 (Early 2008 dual quad @ 2.8GHz 18Gb DDR2-800) and MacBook Pro 15" (early 2008? 4,1 or 5,1 cannot remember right now)

If you have nothing else to do, you could also try 1050MHz by desoldering the one with the lower component denominator (PLL_CFG[2])
http://www.freescale.com/files/32bit/doc/data_sheet/MPC7447AEC.pdf (Page 35)

Ludacrisvp
May 4, 2013, 01:00 PM
It was really 'fun' to get into the case to get to do it and swap out the HDD / ODD but for the life of me I cannot get Leopard to install.

I keep getting failure to verify the BaseSystem.pkg.
I have tried with 10.5.0 disk and 10.5.4 disk.
I have tried booting from USB (which it does boot to the installer) but I still fail to get it to install it claims bad media causing the verification failure.

I don't have the restore discs for the eMac to put back the original OS either.

Just wondering if the OC is the issue?
It doesn't freeze or anything so it appears stable I just cannot install the damn OS.

Also since i have 1st Gen 800MHz I don't believe I can go any higher than 1GHz...
Model M8892LL/A
A1002

Ludacrisvp
May 4, 2013, 02:57 PM
It was really 'fun' to get into the case to get to do it and swap out the HDD / ODD but for the life of me I cannot get Leopard to install.

I keep getting failure to verify the BaseSystem.pkg.
I have tried with 10.5.0 disk and 10.5.4 disk.
I have tried booting from USB (which it does boot to the installer) but I still fail to get it to install it claims bad media causing the verification failure.

I don't have the restore discs for the eMac to put back the original OS either.

Just wondering if the OC is the issue?
It doesn't freeze or anything so it appears stable I just cannot install the damn OS.

Also since i have 1st Gen 800MHz I don't believe I can go any higher than 1GHz...
Model M8892LL/A
A1002

Burning a copy of Lubuntu 12.10 PPC desktop right now to see if I can figure out if I have a bad HDD in the eMac.
I have a spare 200GB PATA drive as well but I wasn't sure what one was having issues.
I had them in my Mac Pro as a RAID stripe that failed recently.

---------
Edit:

Trying Lubuntu 12.10 (burned to DVD)
Panics after attempting to boot to Live disc with this error:

VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(1,0)
Rebooting in 180 seconds...

This makes me wonder about the HDD.

Curiously the drive is marketed as a 320GB drive, even its p/n indicates its a 320GB drive.
When in the OSX Leopard installer its a 298GB drive, but over Firewire it sees and allows me to create a full 320Gb partition.
Confused as to why its letting me do 320.07GB when the drive is not that large. It should only be showing up in the 298 range.

So setting up partitions like this:
30GB - empty
120GB - will attempt install
10GB - installer restored to partition
130GB - will attempt install
30GB - empty

I might have to pull it apart and swap in the 200GB drive or even the OEM drive.

-----
Edit 2:

2013-05-04 15:47:08 -0500: Restore Disk
2013-05-04 15:47:08 -0500: Source: “Mac OS X Install DVD”
2013-05-04 15:47:08 -0500: Destination: “Middle-install”
2013-05-04 15:47:08 -0500: Erase Destination: Yes
2013-05-04 15:47:08 -0500: Erase “Middle-install” and copy the contents of “Mac OS X Install DVD” to it.
2013-05-04 15:47:08 -0500: Starting Restore…
2013-05-04 15:47:08 -0500: Validating target...
2013-05-04 15:47:08 -0500: done
2013-05-04 15:47:08 -0500: Validating source...
2013-05-04 15:47:09 -0500: Validating sizes...
2013-05-04 15:47:09 -0500: done
2013-05-04 15:47:09 -0500: Restoring
2013-05-04 15:58:40 -0500: Verifying
2013-05-04 16:06:08 -0500: Checksum failed.
Expected FBEDBD52
but got C7D81F
2013-05-04 16:06:08 -0500: Could not restore - Invalid argument

I have to think that it must be a bad HDD then?

If I try to boot from what that 'restore' just created I get:

DEFAULT CATCH!, code=300 at %SRR0: 06610b84 $SRR1: 0003030

Apple PowerMac4,4 4.4.2f1 BootROM built on 04/12/02 at 16:08:28

Welcome to Open Firmware, the system time and date is: 16:09:44 05/04/2013

Ludacrisvp
May 4, 2013, 08:36 PM
Anyone else dealt with these issues?

666sheep
May 5, 2013, 05:15 AM
Try restore another drive or USB stick.

Ludacrisvp
May 8, 2013, 08:46 PM
I ended up redoing the overclocking down to 900MHz, now its able to run the installer without issue.
I borrowed a friend's PowerMac G4 967MHz model and was able to install using FW target mode but it would fail to boot claiming it couldn't find drivers for this platform.
I temporarily restored an install of 10.4.11 server from another machine to see if the 900MHz speed would run properly (not panic during boot etc...)
Now I'm running a fresh install of 10.5.4 retail just waiting to update it to the latest combo update.

Forgot how nice the intro video / music was too bad they dropped it in later releases...

666sheep
May 9, 2013, 12:24 AM
You could try 1.0 again with little higher core voltage. 1 step up should be enough. Locate voltage regulator (see attached picture) and find datasheet for it. You'll find Vid settings there.

California
May 14, 2013, 08:24 AM
Burning a copy of Lubuntu 12.10 PPC desktop right now to see if I can figure out if I have a bad HDD in the eMac.
I have a spare 200GB PATA drive as well but I wasn't sure what one was having issues.
I had them in my Mac Pro as a RAID stripe that failed recently.

---------
Edit:

Trying Lubuntu 12.10 (burned to DVD)
Panics after attempting to boot to Live disc with this error:

VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(1,0)
Rebooting in 180 seconds...

This makes me wonder about the HDD.

Curiously the drive is marketed as a 320GB drive, even its p/n indicates its a 320GB drive.
When in the OSX Leopard installer its a 298GB drive, but over Firewire it sees and allows me to create a full 320Gb partition.
Confused as to why its letting me do 320.07GB when the drive is not that large. It should only be showing up in the 298 range.

So setting up partitions like this:
30GB - empty
120GB - will attempt install
10GB - installer restored to partition
130GB - will attempt install
30GB - empty

I might have to pull it apart and swap in the 200GB drive or even the OEM drive.

-----
Edit 2:

2013-05-04 15:47:08 -0500: Restore Disk
2013-05-04 15:47:08 -0500: Source: “Mac OS X Install DVD”
2013-05-04 15:47:08 -0500: Destination: “Middle-install”
2013-05-04 15:47:08 -0500: Erase Destination: Yes
2013-05-04 15:47:08 -0500: Erase “Middle-install” and copy the contents of “Mac OS X Install DVD” to it.
2013-05-04 15:47:08 -0500: Starting Restore…
2013-05-04 15:47:08 -0500: Validating target...
2013-05-04 15:47:08 -0500: Validating source...
2013-05-04 15:47:09 -0500: Validating sizes...
2013-05-04 15:47:09 -0500: done
2013-05-04 15:47:09 -0500: Restoring
2013-05-04 15:58:40 -0500: Verifying
2013-05-04 16:06:08 -0500: Checksum failed.
Expected FBEDBD52
but got C7D81F
2013-05-04 16:06:08 -0500: Could not restore - Invalid argument

I have to think that it must be a bad HDD then?

If I try to boot from what that 'restore' just created I get:

DEFAULT CATCH!, code=300 at %SRR0: 06610b84 $SRR1: 0003030

Apple PowerMac4,4 4.4.2f1 BootROM built on 04/12/02 at 16:08:28

Welcome to Open Firmware, the system time and date is: 16:09:44 05/04/2013

Sounds like you need to reformat the hard drive to an Apple Partition Drive... from what you said about the disc space, it sounds like it has been partitioned as a GUID drive, which will not boot into a PowerPC machine, only an Intel Mac.

I have some original eMac Panther Universal discs if you need them; as eMacs were academic machines, they will actually boot into any compatible mac and are truly universal boot discs.

EDIT: okay sounds like you figured it all out

Ludacrisvp
Jul 15, 2013, 04:53 PM
Sounds like you need to reformat the hard drive to an Apple Partition Drive... from what you said about the disc space, it sounds like it has been partitioned as a GUID drive, which will not boot into a PowerPC machine, only an Intel Mac.

I have some original eMac Panther Universal discs if you need them; as eMacs were academic machines, they will actually boot into any compatible mac and are truly universal boot discs.

EDIT: okay sounds like you figured it all out

Yeah, got it all figured out.
It runs OK for a 10 year old machine.
Might annoy some people but it lives in the garage now as my computer to use when working on the cars. It will play Pandora from Safari only, and it has to be the active tab in order for it to progress to the next song.
Those eMac speakers are surprisingly loud.
Its on the last version of 10.5.