PDA

View Full Version : New PB battery question

blunt
Feb 22, 2005, 05:20 PM
I got the new 17" PB a few days ago. I charged the battery for the first time as i was told to. When i disconnect the AC cable the battery starts draining very fast. For example i just installed the latest WoW patch and my battery went from 3:15hours to 1:33 in less than 6 minutes.

Is this normal? Should i replace the batteries?

Thanks

Jsmit
Feb 22, 2005, 05:44 PM
Did you ever let the battery fully discharge... i.e. run the battery down all the way? Doing this will calibrate the battery, so it can better approximate its battery life. I hope this helps.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86284

blunt
Feb 22, 2005, 06:12 PM
I followed the manual and when computer went into sleep mode i charged.
Gonna try your version too, thanks :)

Applespider
Feb 22, 2005, 06:42 PM
Your battery life will depend on what you are doing. If you were installing a patch, your HD would have been spinning constantly so perhaps you would only have got 1hr 13 if you continued spinning it at that rate. Once it stopped spinning and you started working in a more normal rate, it may have gone back upwards again.

I know if I import a CD on battery power, it drops rapidly. Once I stop importing and start surfing again, up it goes.

ibilly
Feb 22, 2005, 06:59 PM
the time until empty would become more accurate with the complete drain, but it i s based on your usage. Your'll get less life if you use more power, like a DVD, full screen brightness, photoshop, etc. The more usage (prosescor, GPU, hard drive, screen light, keyboard light, etc) your compy gets, the more power it uses. If you use more power, your batter will be used up faster.

blunt
Feb 22, 2005, 07:33 PM
Thanks for the reply guys. Yep, the battery crawled back up again :o)

Jsmit
Feb 22, 2005, 07:34 PM
How long does it take go to sleep from a full charge, and what are you doingin that time? I suspect that AppleSpider has the correct diagnoses here. I keep my battery indicator on percentage, it seems to give a more consistant reading especially if your usage keeps changing.