Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kirkbross

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2007
Los Angeles
I recently replaced the CPU daughter card on an old dual 867 MDD. It's running at about 55° C. I'm using Arctic Silver and I think I seated the HS pretty well, but somehow I think it should run at a lower temp when idle(?)

What is the normal, safe temperature *range* for a dual 867 CPU?

WGoins88

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2011
I thought I read somewhere that 70* Celsius is the max temperature of any G4 CPU.

My dual 1.25 runs at 42-45* average, and gets up to about 50* under load. I have Arctic Silver 5 as well on mine, along with the thin finned heatsink and full power fan.

The dual 1.0 I had in mine ran about 55-56*, but that was with the super heavy aluminum heatsink and factory fan.

I wouldn't worry about it. How much grease did you put on the CPUs? As you most likely know, it only takes a teeny dot on each one, and it gets spread when you tighten the heatsink down.

kirkbross

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2007
Los Angeles
...How much grease did you put on the CPUs? As you most likely know, it only takes a teeny dot on each one, and it gets spread when you tighten the heatsink down.
I only put a tiny blob about the size of a grain of rice on each die. I'm sure if I lapped the CPU and HS I could get it down, but it's not worth it.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Hey kirk! Glad to see your MDD up and running again. Especially for such a nice price :)

Unscrew heatsink and see if thermal paste is spreaded properly (covers whole CPUs dies). Do not forget to tighten heatsink screws - until you "feel it resists".

To lower CPU temps use Chud Tools with NAP mode: http://www.s155158671.websitehome.co.uk/downloadsaqua-ma.html - first two upper download links. In general it allows OS to lower CPU voltage below factory setting when idle and increase it under load (never above factory value).

You can also do what WGoins88 did: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1117605/

kirkbross

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2007
Los Angeles
Unexpected Error

I tried to download CHUD (from a bunch of different websites) but every download link returns this error:

"Sorry, the operation could not be completed because an unexpected error occurred (Error code -50).

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
http://cubeowner.com/kbase_2/index.php?article=282 - Try RMB on link and choose "Save Link As" -> rename file to Chud.dmg (for example). Sorry for pointing to broken link before (Apple has removed 3.5.2 from their FTP server).

What format is your download target drive? Isn't it FAT formatted? Error -50 usually happens with other than Mac OS formatted partitions. It has something to do with characters encoding in filename.

kirkbross

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2007
Los Angeles
http://cubeowner.com/kbase_2/index.php?article=282 - Try RMB on link and choose "Save Link As" -> rename file to Chud.dmg (for example). Sorry for pointing to broken link before (Apple has removed 3.5.2 from their FTP server).

What format is your download target drive? Isn't it FAT formatted? Error -50 usually happens with other than Mac OS formatted partitions. It has something to do with characters encoding in filename.
I got it! Now... I'm not sure I understand what to run (or add to my login items?)... there is Shark, Saturn, Big Top, MONtser... which is the one that lowers CPU voltage?

PS... I run NAP and it brought my CPU down from 57C to 45C :) Does NAP automatically run CHUD or something?

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
I'm not sure I understand what to run (or add to my login items?)... there is Shark, Saturn, Big Top, MONtser... which is the one that lowers CPU voltage?

Just put Aquamac's Enable Nap script in login items. Once you have Chud Tools installed that's all.

Does NAP automatically run CHUD or something?

Nap mode is a function of Chud Tools 3.5.2 (not all versions have it IIRC). Aquamac's script automatically starts it.

kirkbross

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2007
Los Angeles
Ok... the NAP file (the icon of two purple processors in the unzipped NAP folder) is an "Application" not an AppleScript. Is that the one I want to add to login items or is there a separate AppleScript?

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Script is compiled as an app to be easy added to login items. Add this to login items and you don't need anything but Chud Tools installed.

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
Nap is a must for MDD's of all speeds IMO.

My results were similar to those here. mid 50's before nap and mid 40's average after using nap.

As someone mentioned the max temp these 7455 chips can reach is 70C and then they auto shut down to prevent damage. Along with using nap I also mounted a 2nd 120mm fan on the back of both my former MDD's (dual 867 and 1.42) and after that my CPU temps were around 37c when idle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.