Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

t0rr3s

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 23, 2010
I've finally gotten my hands on one of these babies last evening; a 800MHz 15" set with bluetooth, airport card and 400GB (yep!) HDD in its full box (humongous!). The speakers and keyboard are all working great although I've ditched the yellowed keyboard for the new apple bluetooth one. It's currently running on Leopard 10.5.8 and with the Pioneer DVD RW I'm just bloody chuffed that it's in my house now. I bought it off a very pleasant bloke for my niece whom will be turning 1 next month and it warms my heart that she will already be having her first mac before 1 and I really hope the G4 brings her a lot more joy watching her Baby Bright DVDs and what have ya. She loves my 24" iMac and has already learnt to pause and play her movies even at this age so it seemed a perfect choice to get her started on the mac experience ;).

Are there any apps or educational games you could recommend for the little one which could run on the G4?

What do you recommend I do when she grows up and inevitably wants the G4 all for herself? Any defensive manoevres or effective verbal mechanisms to dissuade her from doing that? ;)

ZenErik

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2007
Massachusetts
Does your iMac G4 automatically sleep at 10.5.8? I have had a hell of a time trying to get that to work on my G4s. So much so that I am just using 10.4.11.

t0rr3s

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 23, 2010
Nope, just the display but it hums along like a good soldier. I have to euthanise that baby manually. :rolleyes:

My pram battery is gone. Doesn't retain my date any longer and from I've read, changing it is a right bugger.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
I bought it off a very pleasant bloke for my niece whom will be turning 1 next month and it warms my heart that she will already be having her first mac before 1...

<snip>

Are there any apps or educational games you could recommend for the little one which could run on the G4?

At that age, music and/or movies. I can't imagine a 1-year-old having the dexterity or the know-how to operate the machine herself, but there's nothing to say she won't grow into it.

Our son got his first computer when he was 3, but by that time he was already using one on his own (with a mouse - it took a while before he was comfortable using a keyboard by himself).

t0rr3s

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 23, 2010
Ahaha yep, she still has some way to go before handling the machine by her little self. As of now, she's quite content to be able to pause her Timmy Time clip when she gets bored though. :p

Gonna have to put the Terminal commands on the backburner a wee bit longer.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
poor little babys ....they never will make the experience how great it feels to switch after years of microsoft Windows horror to OSX :D

and there is nothing wrong getting the kids used to computers as early as possible , at this age they learn it easier then if they have to learn it in their teens..or later

next step is get a old iMac G5 ( a bad cap victim ) and a soldering iron and some solder and caps , then take the iMac apart complete and let the kid put it back together inclusive the recapping , kids love puzzles :D

Last edited:

t0rr3s

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 23, 2010
poor little babys ....they never will make the experience how great it feels to switch after years of microsoft Windows horror to OSX :D

and there is nothing wrong getting the kids used to computers as early as possible , at this age they learn it easier then if they have to learn it in their teens..or later

next step is get a old iMac G5 ( a bad cap victim ) and a soldering iron and some solder and caps , then take the iMac apart complete and let the kid put it back together inclusive the recapping , kids love puzzles :D

i'm trying to minimise the inevitable horror with a solid grounding of mac os from young ;)

it's been quite an experience having a baby in the house. even at a few months old, she has already grasped the action of controlling the mouse and tapping, ok, banging away, at the keyboard simultaneously!

that g5 project sounds boss. plus, i get to build on the mac collection almost surreptitiously. ;)

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files

nice setup, should work well for years to come.

both my boys were up and going around the same age, and two that they enjoyed were 'Reader Rabbit Toddler' and 'Reader Rabbit Playtime'. fun games, uses a neat 'auto-magic' mouse system where they just point and wait, no click required, but can click also if they know how. easy puzzles, easy painting (or just mash a bunch of keys for auto-paint) and fun songs that will forever now be stuck in my head... fun stuff.

second recommendation would be any of the 'Living Books' titles you can get your hands on. you would need to help get it started, but for the 1-3 year old crowd, there is the 'read to me' mode, and when older they can use the 'let me play the story' mode where they get to click on stuff, solve puzzles, and interact with the story. brilliant stories, very well done, great replay value, etc.

on a side note, the older clear apple mouse is the best thing ever for little kids. nice size, no buttons, just point and mash. works well for kids on windows boxes also, i've set up a bunch for family/friends. best of luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.