PDA

View Full Version : 10.3.8 is eating all my ram

SurfAddict
Feb 22, 2005, 10:55 PM
I'm trying to figure out why the OS is eating up all my ram since im still waiting on my 1gig dimms to ship I only have 1gig in there (512x2). The problem is that for some reason my ram is being sucked up like nothing I have safari and activity monitor opened and its using 820MB of ram :confused: anyone know y ?http://forums.macrumors.com/images/attach/jpg.gif http://forums.macrumors.com/images/attach/jpg.gif

Peterkro
Feb 22, 2005, 11:04 PM
OSX will use whatever memory is available why swap out of memory if its there and usable. pmtool is part of mac moniter, try halting moniter and repairing permissions its probably not a problem just using available memory but you may feel better by ensuring there's no problem.

Santaduck
Feb 23, 2005, 12:39 AM
? are those before and afters? The "wired", "active", "inactive", "used", and "free" all look similar.

Next time sort by "Real Memory" Consumption.

OS X will use up what you have in an ideal fashion, I wouldn't worry

PM Tool is only taking up 500K, what is the worry there?
Safari is using 25M, what's wrong there?

Could you point out more specifically what you're looking at in the list?

SurfAddict
Feb 23, 2005, 01:35 PM
Well basically the problem is that when I try to run iMovie or World of Warcraft its not running incredibly smooth..(still quick) I think maybe the reason why is that its not allowed enough ram this is my first mac though so I am still getting used to its consumption of caching but being a windows user a very advanced one for that matter I was shocked to see so much ram being used when just using Safari. I did read something about the kernel spreading its wings more with more ram installed rather than just leaving the unused ram alone like in an x86 machine. If this is the case I'm fine with it but I wanna make sure that is actually what is going on :confused: . Thanks for the continued help guys.

Peterkro
Feb 23, 2005, 01:45 PM
? are those before and afters? The "wired", "active", "inactive", "used", and "free" all look similar.

Next time sort by "Real Memory" Consumption.

OS X will use up what you have in an ideal fashion, I wouldn't worry

PM Tool is only taking up 500K, what is the worry there?
Safari is using 25M, what's wrong there?

Could you point out more specifically what you're looking at in the list?
Whoops my bad I read that as 500meg as an excuse it was 5am here. :eek:

SurfAddict
Feb 23, 2005, 06:15 PM
Lol its cool thanks for the continued support