Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrgrill

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2004
Leeds, UK
Hi,

I was wondering if someone can help. I have an 80GB hard disk which I have put in an external enclosure. Currently I run win XP, but in the near future I'm looking to switch over to a PB G[5 hopefully!].

I have formatted my HD in win XP Disk management as that is only available OS to me at the moment. I originally only wanted one partition, but win XP only let me format this in NTFS and not FAT32 cos it's bigger than 32GB. So I made two partitions - One 30GB FAT32 and one 50GB NTFS.

My thinking is that when I connect this to a MAC, I will be able to both READ and WRITE to the FAT32 formatted partition.

Is that correct, can someone confirm this, of will it just READ only for both partitions, even though 30GB are FAT32 formatted?

PLEASE please advise.

Many thanks

Moof1904

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2004
From what I understand, OSX 10.3 will read/write to FAT32 no probem but will only read NTFS. Full NTFS is rumored to be part of 10.4, though I don't believe I've heard that from any official source.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Gang...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.