PDA

View Full Version : Bad ethernet card?

Max37
Feb 23, 2005, 05:00 AM
I purchased a PB in September and was using dial up until about 5 weeks ago when I hooked up to DSL. It worked great until 48 hours ago when I lost contact with the network. I unplugged the cable from the PB and reconnected and it worked again, for about 5 or 6 minutes. Ever since I have to do that every 2 to 15 minutes to regain the connection. It is not the connection itself because I can get access again if I unhook the cable from the other side, or if I reboot, or if I unplug the power cord from the DSL box on my desk. Apparently anything that physically breaks access and then reconnects is causing something to reset itself. Any ideas?
Thanks.

yellow
Feb 23, 2005, 05:56 AM
Any ideas?

Replace the ethernet cable?

Max37
Feb 23, 2005, 07:02 AM
Tried that. I also hooked the PB up to a someone elses (who was not having any problems)port and this still happened. I also tried to repair the permissions, download the drivers, and finally, backed up all my important info and erased the drive and reinstalled OS X. No luck.

yellow
Feb 23, 2005, 07:15 AM
Time to call Apple and get a logic board replacement.

yellow
Feb 23, 2005, 07:28 AM
When you reinstalled the OS, did you reisntall the OS and preserve (potentially fubar'd) Users & Settings?

Max37
Feb 23, 2005, 11:45 AM
No, I did a full drive erase and reinstall.

yellow
Feb 23, 2005, 11:53 AM
Bummer.. time to call Apple. :(

Max37
Feb 23, 2005, 04:59 PM
Thanks for the help just the same. Problem is I am studying in Rome right now. I know there is an Apple store in the city but not sure if they do repairs or ship them out. Ugh.
And let me tell you what fun it was to not be able to watch the Pats in the SB over here. I could either go to bed and get a good nights sleep so I could try and understand the days lectures on pre-socratic sophism, or stay up till 4 in the morning so I could watch my PB screen display an animated green football field with a small football going back and forth with the play discription coming up on the far right side, which was the best I could do onlline. My body clock is still screwy.

yellow
Feb 23, 2005, 09:41 PM
I feel for you. It was a great game. Better that the Pats won since I'm a Pats fan. As closer to that as I can come is having to watch the Superbowl (Raider/TB: yawn) in London. The commentary was just painful, as every little detail was being explained in nauseating detail for those non-Americans that might be watching... By Troy Aikman!

Hope you get your PB woes worked out. Does Airport function properly in the meantime?

Max37
Feb 24, 2005, 05:48 AM
Presently I am not using Airport. I think I may have found a place here in Rome.
http://www.romebuddy.com/presents/fbm.html
Thanks.