PDA

View Full Version : RADIUS Authentication - OS X 10.6 Server & Gaming Systems

ccharlton
Mar 18, 2011, 03:21 PM
Hey guys,

1st post. Wanted to see if there are any methods for allowing non-WPA2 Enterprise clients to access my wireless LAN without having to import the certificate and authenticate with username/password. Perhaps filtering by MAC address.

All my PC's and Mac's are working fine but I have a Wii, PS3, Xbox 360 and a Sony Bravia TV that connect wirelessly.

Thoughts?

assembled
Mar 19, 2011, 08:04 AM
Do these devices need to access anything on your LAN, or do they just need Internet access ?

If they need LAN access, then if you're thinking about just using mac address filtering for them, then why bother with WPA2e for the rest ?

If they just need Internet access, then use a different SSID connected to a VLAN that only has Internet access, obviously with suitable firewall rules in place.

I tend to suggest using a wired connection for anything that doesn't support wireless at the required security level, and if it only supports wireless at a level that doesn't meet the required security level, then I wouldn't purchase it.

ccharlton
Mar 22, 2011, 11:07 PM
No, they just need Internet access.

I am limited on the gear I have at my disposal. Current setup is a Motorola DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem -> SonicWall TZ-100. From there I have a AirPort Extreme that is bridged providing wireless and a AirPort Express extending that. I *think* I can do some sort of VLAN setup from the SonicWall. Then use the AirPort Express as a guest AP.

I'm mainly a systems guy so while I won't shy away from doing some networking here and there but i'm not very familiar with how VLANs are configured. It is something I will look into though so thank you.

I'd love to go wired but in this case it's simply not possible.