Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saintforlife

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
This is a question for people currently running Lion on their MBAs. I want to try to see if Lion supports resolution independence for the screens.

Can you do a quick test and lower your resolution a bit from the native 1440X900 and let me know how the fonts in Menu bar, icons etc. look. Do they look blurry and like crap like on Snow Leopard? The native resolution on the current MBA makes stuff look too small for my taste and my eyes hurt because of it.

If Lion in its current state does not support resolution independence, what are the chances that it could be implemented before its summer release?

b-rad g

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Since it was already mentioned in your other thread you couldn't have just asked it there? Why did you need a seperate one?

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
I think you're confused a little bit. Resolution independence would mean that you wouldn't have to lower your screen resolution in order to make the UI bigger. Essentially, what it means is that on a 13" MacBook Air @ 1440x900, the text would be the same size (in real, actual inches/mm/cm/whatever) as it would be on a 13" MBP @ 1280x800.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I think you're confused a little bit. Resolution independence would mean that you wouldn't have to lower your screen resolution in order to make the UI bigger. Essentially, what it means is that on a 13" MacBook Air @ 1440x900, the text would be the same size (in real, actual inches/mm/cm/whatever) as it would be on a 13" MBP @ 1280x800.

But, you're missing the most important part. Just as in Windows you can set the size of text so whether it's smaller or larger it looks accurate and not a mess like it does on non-native OS X display settings.

Some people want the smaller text and others larger. Until Lion there was no option. Lion will change OS X and the future of Mac displays. I feel like Apple is finally improving the resolution of 15" MBP and both MBAs as it knows Lion is the solution that ensures all users are happy.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
But, you're missing the most important part. Just as in Windows you can set the size of text so whether it's smaller or larger it looks accurate and not a mess like it does on non-native OS X display settings.

Some people want the smaller text and others larger. Until Lion there was no option. Lion will change OS X and the future of Mac displays. I feel like Apple is finally improving the resolution of 15" MBP and both MBAs as it knows Lion is the solution that ensures all users are happy.

I didn't include that part, but yes, I understand that it won't look crappy when the text is scaled up or down because you're still using the native resolution of the display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.