Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

datapolitical

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2006
Caifornia
As a student who's a prospective teacher, I'm considering using my free time tonight to go pick up two iPads at my local apple store and then list them on eBay with an explanation that any profit will go directly to the charity of choice from donorschoose.org, (a way for teachers to raise money for their classroom projects, Stephen Colbert has used them a number of times), and thus also be tax deductible.

My question for MacRumors readers is whether this is an ethical thing to do or not. Right now iPads on eBay are going for a good $100-200 above market. That could pay for the entire cost of a classroom project. Isn't that a better use of the money than into someone's pocket? On the flipside, it means someone else who woke up an hour after me won't get an iPad that day, which is a sort of dickish thing to do. Thoughts?

Cole JM

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2011
As a student who's a prospective teacher, I'm considering using my free time tonight to go pick up two iPads at my local apple store and then list them on eBay with an explanation that any profit will go directly to the charity of choice from donorschoose.org, (a way for teachers to raise money for their classroom projects, Stephen Colbert has used them a number of times), and thus also be tax deductible.

My question for MacRumors readers is whether this is an ethical thing to do or not. Right now iPads on eBay are going for a good $100-200 above market. That could pay for the entire cost of a classroom project. Isn't that a better use of the money than into someone's pocket? On the flipside, it means someone else who woke up an hour after me won't get an iPad that day, which is a sort of dickish thing to do. Thoughts?
Nothing wrong with it, you are making a profit to give it to people who need it.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
sorry, but asking a roomful of strangers about the "ethics" of making a donation of any kind is ludicrous. just make the donation; you don't need our approval or appreciation.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
Btw, the way you use "scalping" in the title makes it sound like you're thinking about putting an axe to someone's hairline.

datapolitical

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2006
Caifornia
sorry, but asking a roomful of strangers about the "ethics" of making a donation of any kind is ludicrous. just make the donation; you don't need our approval or appreciation.

I have a sociology professor who would disagree with that, especially since MacRumors readers are people who are looking for this particular good, and thus have a unique perspective on whether it constitutes ethical conduct (I doubt I'd get any arguments if we were talking about a new pair of Manolo Blahniks).

datapolitical

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2006
Caifornia
Not me, but I'm sure if I handed them out in NYC

Btw, the way you use "scalping" in the title makes it sound like you're thinking about putting an axe to someone's hairline.

Given the frenzy in NY and the belief (warranted or otherwise) that certain individuals are buying up hundreds of iPads using gangs of workers, I'm surprised there hasn't been an incident already...

thenobody

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2011
No. Thats scumbaggery

And screw a stupid school project. Send the money to Japan.
Or Darfor. or Palistine etc

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
If you're worried about ethics, why not have a raffle for an iPad and the profits go to support the school project? The school sports teams here have raffles all the time to raise money.

thenobody

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2011
Given the frenzy in NY and the belief (warranted or otherwise) that certain individuals are buying up hundreds of iPads using gangs of workers, I'm surprised there hasn't been an incident already...

Well that's America. Too polite.
Where I come from if there was loads of people standing in a line with huge amounts of cash and some guy going around flauting bundles of it give it out and they were there increasingly filling sacks with iPads each one of them would get the livin crap beaten out of them for every dollar and everything taken on them.
And that'd just be from anyone - not someone who wants an iPad.

Actually it would be more like "hey, I'll have all that cash and all those iPads. Thank you". And it's just handed over.
Some make get beaten just for a point or fun.

Too polite here - rightly or wrongly

datapolitical

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2006
Caifornia
If you're worried about ethics, why not have a raffle for an iPad and the profits go to support the school project? The school sports teams here have raffles all the time to raise money.

Because I don't know the people who need the money. I'm actually involved with a local school club that I used to be in when I was in high school, but our expenses are minimal and insignificant compared to what some teachers need in other areas (we're talking about electric pencil sharpeners and whiteboards here). I have a hard time arguing against helping out a teacher whose school district won't pay for an electric pencil sharpener.

mhof

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2011
Orange County
These seem to be a bit similar to the ethics of Robin Hood, but probably not as good. People use iPads for different purposes. By putting a further strain on supply, you may end up making life more difficult for people who could use an iPad in another "good" way.

I think there are more creative ways to fundraise (as others mentioned, you can still use the iPad, but include it as a possible raffle prize. You could probably end up raising more money through this than you could just by scalping anyway).

Definitely good to think outside of the box, though.

datapolitical

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2006
Caifornia
These seem to be a bit similar to the ethics of Robin Hood, but probably not as good. People use iPads for different purposes. By putting a further strain on supply, you may end up making life more difficult for people who could use an iPad in another "good" way.

I think there are more creative ways to fundraise (as others mentioned, you can still use the iPad, but include it as a possible raffle prize. You could probably end up raising more money through this than you could just by scalping anyway).

You generally need a big event to raise that kind of cash for a raffle. (Having done fundraising for education and politics, it's surprisingly hard to get people to part with their $$$, even for a good cause)

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado

Nothing wrong with what you want to do. Although, good luck in getting them at your local Apple store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.