PDA

View Full Version : Recent Switcher With A Bunch Of Questions

gotroot801
Feb 23, 2005, 08:14 AM
I bought a Mac mini yesterday, which I'm hoping will eventually replace my Linux box as far as connectivity goes (especially now that I've downloaded X11). But I am having a few problems/questions about things that don't quite work like I'm used to in Linux or Windows:

1.) I have a Canon i860 connected to my Windows XP PC with file and print sharing enabled. The mini can see the Windows shares just fine, and I can add the printer, but even after installing the i860-specific drivers from Canon's site several times, I can't find the driver in Printer Setup - under "CANON" it still lists the drivers the OS comes with. Short of using the mini as my print server from here on in, is there anything else I should be doing?

2.) I also have a Microsoft keyboard and Trackball Explorer connected to a Belkin PS/2-to-USB adapter (since my KVM is PS/2-only). Intellitype recognizes the keyboard with no problems, but when I open Intellimouse it doesn't appear to recognize the mouse at all - I see a standard MS mouse with a red X through it, and can only change three buttons (the Trackball has five). I'm guessing switching to an all-USB setup (keyboard, mouse, and KVM switch) will fix this?

Thanks for the help. I doubt this'll be my last post here...

JOE40
Feb 23, 2005, 02:19 PM
I read your post.
In my experience, an all USB setup for mouse, keyboard and KVM switch will work better than mixing in a ps2-usb adapter. My success with ps2-usb adapter has been limited to mouse usage. Not multi button programmable though. Go all USB then see how it goes.

As far as the Canon goes, I found this interesting tidbit about the i860 from another user...

"Canon does not support its network printing driver for the Mac. They claim that the i860 is meant to be a single computer printer and that they only supply the driver because of Apple's requirements. I discovered this the hard way after spending many hours trying to network my iBook to print with my G3 upgraded 8500 as the print server.

Installing multiple Canon drivers on the same OSX Mac is also a problem since you need to be connected to the printer for the driver to install and be recognized. I had an i320 driver installed on my iBook when I tried installing the i860 driver. The i320 driver disappeared. It was only after finding an obscure mention in the on disk documentation that I discovered you must install multiple drivers in order of their version number. This may seem like a minor problem, but it can be quite a hassle if you have a portable that you wish to connect to more than one type of printer."

You are not directly connected to the printer, which you would need to be to setup the 860 on the Mac. I have seen this with an HP all-in-one as well.Canon does not support its network printing driver for the Mac.

uncle
Feb 23, 2005, 05:44 PM
Hi

This may not help with the networked nature of your situation but is worth a fiddle on the off chance.

Make sure your printer is on & connected as you want it. start up.

Open Printer SetUp & hold down the option key(alt) 'then' click on add printer.

A dialogue appears with Advanced in the first popup in the next 'Device' see if you can see your printer name appended.

Select it.

A device name and URI will appear.

Under printer model select cannon, select model, it will end with Cups+Gimp-Print, Add.

If the add button does not high light forget it.

That's usually because I've tried to add after startup. If the name does not get appended also no-go.

Thanks to Ghost script and Gimp I have a 6200 working on OSX when cannon don't supply drivers for that platform.

I belive that gimp-print is an open source initiative so it might be worth googling for a driver.

(Of course if you know how to config URI or get the network address of the printer then you could add manually.)

Hope this does help!

Bob

gotroot801
Feb 24, 2005, 06:41 AM
Regarding the mouse issue, I'm going to pick up a USB KVM today.

Regarding the printer issue, connectig the printer directly to the mini worked... except that even with printer sharing and Windows sharing enabled in System Preferences, I can't print from Windows to the Mac print queue. I'm guessing this is because, as JOE40 said, network printing is unsupported.

Time to go digging for a PPD file...

Since I'm new to the Mac world (it's been 36 hours with the mini), can someone point me towards a good Mac OS X newbie guide?

Thanks for the help!

mduser63
Feb 24, 2005, 09:39 AM
I can't really help with your previous questions, but I can recommend a good Mac OS X book. I switched about 5 months ago, and I bought Mac OS X: The Missing Manual Panther Edition by David Pogue. It's a very good book. It helped me get up to speed quickly, and also taught me a lot of things that I doubt I would have ever figured out on my own (obscure keyboard shortcuts, hidden features, etc). Anyway, good luck with your new Mac.