PDA

View Full Version : Will Apple make an ipad 2 case?

Mr502
Mar 19, 2011, 05:03 PM
The smart covers are great and all, but I'm hoping Apple will make a case that will protect the entire ipad 2. They cost too much money to depend on a piece of fabric for protection. What do you think?

eclipseblur954
Mar 19, 2011, 05:12 PM
The smart cover is MUCH MUCH more than just a piece of fabric. Its not much of a "case" because its not a case, its a cover lol

but to answer your question, no apple will most likely never make an iPad 2 case. The smart cover does everything they want, protects the screen and adds absolutely no bulk

There will be dozens upon dozens of 3rd party cases to choose from though

glen e
Mar 19, 2011, 05:25 PM
Never seen apple add accessories after a launch

michael.lauden
Mar 19, 2011, 05:28 PM

I haven't either - I'm pretty sure 3rd parties will take care of us. As usual.

Apple OC
Mar 19, 2011, 05:28 PM

well there was the Apple Bumper after Antennae gate :cool:

johnc22
Mar 19, 2011, 05:29 PM
The Smart Cover was a pure profit gimmick. Sure it might be useful if you don't care about protecting your $500+ device, but imagine the profit margin on those things, especially the leather ones. I won't be surprised to see knock-offs and cases with similar magnetic features in the near future selling for much less. As long as people will buy these, why would Apple bother producing a real case?

johnc22
Mar 19, 2011, 05:30 PM
well there was the Apple Bumper after Antennae gate :cool:

Those were sold on launch day.

glen e
Mar 19, 2011, 05:39 PM
The Smart Cover was a pure profit gimmick. Sure it might be useful if you don't care about protecting your $500+ device, but imagine the profit margin on those things, especially the leather ones. I won't be surprised to see knock-offs and cases with similar magnetic features in the near future selling for much less. As long as people will buy these, why would Apple bother producing a real case?

And as an apple shareholder in a big way, i chuckled when i saw the cover...brilliant...just like the bumper for the i4 that has got to be 4000% profit item. And yes, im not cynical or think there is a hugh conspiricy here, i own a cover and bumper.

But both are cute and offer abilty to buy mutiples of, for more profit.

I love apple....they let me retire early....and its my decision to buy a full case from other companies....

michael.lauden
Mar 19, 2011, 05:43 PM
And as an apple shareholder in a big way, i chuckled when i saw the cover...brilliant...just like the bumper for the i4 that has got to be 4000% profit item. And yes, im not cynical or think there is a hugh conspiricy here, i own a cover and bumper.

But both are cute and offer abilty to buy mutiples of, for more profit.

I love apple....they let me retire early....and its my decision to buy a full case from other companies....

congrats.

JC5280
Mar 19, 2011, 07:11 PM
Brilliant marketing on Apple's part, to show of a cover along with the hot selling product. The fact is, the Smart Cover is not a case, it provides very little protection except to the front glass part of the iPad, which, in a big enough impact, it would come off anyway. In a drop scenario, this cover would be rated extremely low in protection, and thats why I consider it a cosmetic accessory only.

There are already third party "smart" cases coming to the market this week that offer far superior protection and appearance.

NewYorkRanger
Mar 19, 2011, 07:14 PM
The smart covers are great and all, but I'm hoping Apple will make a case that will protect the entire ipad 2. They cost too much money to depend on a piece of fabric for protection. What do you think?No.

Charlie Sheen
Mar 19, 2011, 07:16 PM
Apple wan't peopple to recognize the ipad in puplic. And if the cover prevents the ipad to be seen than the concept is bad. Thats why there's only a cover

glen e
Mar 19, 2011, 07:21 PM
Apple wan't peopple to recognize the ipad in puplic. And if the cover prevents the ipad to be seen than the concept is bad. Thats why there's only a cover

Ok charlie....

johnc22
Mar 19, 2011, 07:31 PM
And as an apple shareholder
+1

Collect them all!