Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WGoins88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 8, 2011
So today I was hunting for computers on craigslist... I was looking in the free section and came across "apple ii gs". Said free IIGS, 4 floppy drives, hard drive, monitor, system, keyboard, printer, all cables, and a ton of floppies.

So I panicked, emailed the person and was the first to get a hold of him. Drove 22 miles there to get it...and was glad to. Got the system, color monitor, 2 3.5" drives, 2 5.25 drives, a hard drive, ImageWriter II, cables, books, and a TON of programs.

Will get pics of it later on, once I am done sorting all these floppies. :eek:

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
So today I was hunting for computers on craigslist... I was looking in the free section and came across "apple ii gs". Said free IIGS, 4 floppy drives, hard drive, monitor, system, keyboard, printer, all cables, and a ton of floppies.

So I panicked, emailed the person and was the first to get a hold of him. Drove 22 miles there to get it...and was glad to. Got the system, color monitor, 2 3.5" drives, 2 5.25 drives, a hard drive, ImageWriter II, cables, books, and a TON of programs.

Nice find. Wish people in my area threw stuff like that out... I just get Dual G4s :(

WGoins88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 8, 2011
Yeah, I was so excited to get something like this, mainly because the IIgs is a nice unit all around... plus the fact it has tons of games and programs.

Only problem is...

.....I have no clue how to use it. All I know is I can stick the System Disk in and boot to finder or run a few games from the disks when turning it on.

Same thing with my IIe, I can boot into games, and play them, but that's about it.

Any links to some good sites that show general commands like how to boot disks and such? I am totally dumb when it comes to the older systems like that. I have MS-DOS down pat, but this.... no.

WGoins88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 8, 2011
Ok, I am getting the hang of this thing.... sorta. I figured out how to boot disks (PR#6 and 5)

Pics - Click to expand

Yes, thekeyboard's dirty, I havent cleaned it yet.

santaliqueur

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
I have a IIgs here (original owner!). I threw away everything else besides the computer itself. I'm never going to actually use it again, but I am holding onto it for nostalgia. Oh, the hours I played on Zany Golf...

WGoins88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 8, 2011
Ok...

So I have an addiction to this GS. I have been plastered to it for hours on end for the past few days... learning BASIC programming and playing games.

I think I may have a problem! I even went so far as to go on a search online to find GS specific abandonware to put on floppies to play on it. My problem is I am not sure how to get it on the floppies from a Windblows PC.

I might have to put the HD in my MDD on the SCSI card to put games on it.

I am William, and I have a problem. :D:apple:

BTW - For those that want to know, the computer has a RAM-GS 4MB expansion card and a RAMFast Revision D SCSI card.

Last edited:

WGoins88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 8, 2011
Darn, the IIGS's drive didn't work in my MDD. It recognizes it but it says it's "An unreadable format" because it's ProDOS formatted. I guess the best thing I can do is try to format floppies on my PC as 720k floppies and put the programs on a few and try that.

David Schmidt

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2006
Southeastern USA
I think I may have a problem! I even went so far as to go on a search online to find GS specific abandonware to put on floppies to play on it. My problem is I am not sure how to get it on the floppies from a Windblows PC.
The PC won't be able to read/write a floppy that the GS can understand. They use utterly different and incompatible technologies to write on the disks. To transfer to the GS, you need something like ADTPro:
http://adtpro.sourceforge.net

WGoins88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 8, 2011
Holy cow, that is the greatest thing ever!

Is that your work? If so, I applaud you. :cool:

All I have to do is buy a IIgs modem port to RS232 cable off the retrofloppy site and I'll be good to go!

WGoins88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 8, 2011
Update... Problem solved, and it cost me $0.

Pulled out my PM 5500/250 (Because it has a SuperDrive floppy), pulled the HD, put it in my MDD. I would have downloaded the stuff on the 5500, but it would have took FOREVER with 96MB ram and a 250MHZ 603ev.

Copied all the game images to the drive, as well as Asimov (to copy images to floppies on the IIGS).

Put the drive back in the 5500, formatted the blank ProDOS 800k floppies in the 5500, copied each game to each floppy popped them in the IIGS and it worked great!

I was able to take them off the floppies and put them on the HD, extract the images to floppies, then copied the program files to the HD and they work great!

A little complicated, but it cost me nothing.

BlackMax

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2007
North Carolina

Congratulations. I've got a Apple IIgs Woz signature edition in my attic along with several drives, two image writer printers and a box full of software and games. I spent hours in front of that thing playing games like Ultima III and writing papers for college. Perhaps it is time to pull the Apple IIgs out again and take a trip down memory lane?

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
congrats, those machines have a lot of potential for being mid-late 80s. i have one that i still need to get oregon trail onto...it's just such an old OS with old ways of getting things on the machine from the web, that i can never make the time anymore. someday...

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
These pictures take me back to elementary school :p

Seriously though, amazing how much the tech has advanced! I remember with those IIgs's, the "cool" thing to do was boot into apple basic and just do

10 Print "hello"
20 Goto 10
run

They actually got really hot! They processed that print command just as hard as they possibly could :D

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
yeah! i remember we had a lab of apple ii computers in junior high. most were green screen iie computers. there were a few color iic computers and 1 or 2 iigs computers. everyone wanted the iic and iigs, but you didnt always get it. it was first come first serve, so we used to nerd line at lunch just to book the color comps haha
those old MECC games were so much fun and really were educational

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
yeah! i remember we had a lab of apple ii computers in junior high. most were green screen iie computers. there were a few color iic computers and 1 or 2 iigs computers. everyone wanted the iic and iigs, but you didnt always get it. it was first come first serve, so we used to nerd line at lunch just to book the color comps haha
those old MECC games were so much fun and really were educational

Those games really take me back! Since you mention them, do you happen to remember a mystery game that was black and white? It was all about finding your way through a building and ended with you flying away in a hot air balloon. I remember it took multiple trips to the computer lab to beat. I can't for the life of me remember the name but I know it was played on apple computers.

sheepopo39

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2008
What surprised me most was that the seller on Craigslist didn't ask for anything and was just giving it away. To find one that works well and for free, quite the jackpot.

WGoins88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 8, 2011
Yeah, I was surprised that it was free, and the fact that I was the first one to call him.

I even felt guilty when I picked it up... I wanted to hand him at least a $20, but free is free!

Anyone on here have any games for the IIGS? I'd like some new stuff to play with.

I've already been PM'ed 3 times on here and a few times on a few other forums asking me if I wanted to sell it. Of course, I said no! :D Offers ranged from $20 to $200.

Yaboze

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2007
The Garden State
I have my original GS, Wozniak logo and everything with updated ROMS (01 I think 03 was last set). I have the GS, 2 5.25, 2 3.5, upgraded ram (768k I think), stereo card, color screen, mouse/KB. It's in good condition, except for the annoying plastic color change affecting parts of it.

I dug it out of a box in my parents basement after 20 something years.

Amazingly, it works well and even had the correct date. I guess the GS was ahead of it's time and didn't get affected by the Y2K bug! LOL

Anyway, to my dismay, hardly any of the disks worked. I had a ton of 5.25 and 3.5's of Apple II and GS stuff and most disks don't boot or get read errors.

I wonder if I clean the drives somehow, they will work? I dunno, maybe they are just too old. The disks are from 1983-1987.

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
These pictures take me back to elementary school :p

Seriously though, amazing how much the tech has advanced! I remember with those IIgs's, the "cool" thing to do was boot into apple basic and just do

10 Print "hello"
20 Goto 10
run

They actually got really hot! They processed that print command just as hard as they possibly could :D

Wait until another student went to the bathroom.

10 beep
20 goto 10

walk away

directbird

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2011
I was wondering if you have an old Appleworks manual

I was wondering if any of you have an old Appleworks manual. I was actually mentioned in it and would really like to have a copy again. It was lost in a flood that we had :mad:.

If you have one just check the credits or the thank you for beta testers and look for a name Jeff B-----ell. If you have one please let me know and we can discuss it. Thanks.
:)

WGoins88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 8, 2011
Wow.... I'm surprised I didn't see your post. I'll take a look in the book box and see if there is one. If there is, I'll let you know.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
I was wondering if any of you have an old Appleworks manual. I was actually mentioned in it and would really like to have a copy again. It was lost in a flood that we had :mad:.

If you have one just check the credits or the thank you for beta testers and look for a name Jeff B-----ell. If you have one please let me know and we can discuss it. Thanks.
:)

I have a boxed AppleWorks at home, I'll take a look when I get home.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.