Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silverbird0000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2006
Fort Myers, FL
Ok, so I am getting quite frustrated. When I try to launch iPhoto, it just bounces, then stops bouncing, but doesn't launch. I have read all kinds of things about it. I deleted the plist files for iPhoto, after that didn't work, I deleted all plist files, then restored just the ones that did not get re-added after the initial iPhoto launch. After that iPhoto worked. But after I close and reopen it, it does the same thing all over again. I then completely removed iPhoto from my system, and reinstalled. No go. I then repaired permissions and repaired the disk. Still doing the same thing! All updates have been done. I also went into safe mode, and iPhoto works perfect. Once back in normal mode, it refuses to launch. Any ideas? I have been using Aperture for a few years and have decided to switch back to iPhoto since I really like iPhoto 11' and Aperture is clunky and slow and refuses to see my iPhone for import. Does anyone have any ideas that I have not tried? Thanks!

Last edited:

donlargo

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2002
Colorado
Drastic solution, but it worked

Earlier this year when I upgraded to the latest iPhoto and Mac OSX combo (i forget exactly what / when), I ran into exactly the problem you are having.

Downgrading the OS and / or iPhoto cleared it up, but it was not an acceptable solution.

First some history that comes in to play. Does this sound familiar? I have a 2010 MacBook pro. Before that, I had a 2006 MacBook Pro. Before that, a G4 PowerBook. Before that, iMacs, etc etc. With each new purchase, I transferred all of my old user stuff - files, profiles, applications, and all.

It turns out that something deep in the bowels of my Mac from a previous incarnation was getting stuck on startup. We never did pin point it, but the main suspect is some kernal extension stuff from an early beta version of the Hamachi VPN.

I made sure my Time Machine backup was fresh, and did a full re-install of Snow Leopard after a disk wipe.

This time, I restored everything from backup *except* applications. I re-installed applications from the original disks, or by picking things one by one from the Time Machine backup, and obviously skipped any old, old stuff I hadn't used in years.

Whatever the culprit was, this did the trick - Latest iPhoto launches on latest OS. All is well.

TRDannic

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2010
iPhoto Library Manager

I had the same issue and downloaded the trial version of iPhoto Library Manager and 'Fixed' the image database. The software is well written and available at fatcatsoftware.com Best of luck.

Silverbird0000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2006
Fort Myers, FL
Earlier this year when I upgraded to the latest iPhoto and Mac OSX combo (i forget exactly what / when), I ran into exactly the problem you are having.

Downgrading the OS and / or iPhoto cleared it up, but it was not an acceptable solution.

First some history that comes in to play. Does this sound familiar? I have a 2010 MacBook pro. Before that, I had a 2006 MacBook Pro. Before that, a G4 PowerBook. Before that, iMacs, etc etc. With each new purchase, I transferred all of my old user stuff - files, profiles, applications, and all.

It turns out that something deep in the bowels of my Mac from a previous incarnation was getting stuck on startup. We never did pin point it, but the main suspect is some kernal extension stuff from an early beta version of the Hamachi VPN.

I made sure my Time Machine backup was fresh, and did a full re-install of Snow Leopard after a disk wipe.

This time, I restored everything from backup *except* applications. I re-installed applications from the original disks, or by picking things one by one from the Time Machine backup, and obviously skipped any old, old stuff I hadn't used in years.

Whatever the culprit was, this did the trick - Latest iPhoto launches on latest OS. All is well.

I was dreading this. I have gone from a PowerBook G4 to an iMac, to a 2008 MacBook Pro, to a 2010 MacBook Pro and the iPhoto library has moved from each computer. I was figuring this was the problem. I really didn't want to have to reinstall the OS, but I guess I will if the problem continues. I reinstalled iPhoto a second time and so far so good. It seems to still be launching after a close and re-open. Only time will tell. If iPhoto does this again, I will reinstall the OS. Thank for your reply!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.