Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itsumo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2004
UK
I'm in urgent need of some advice. I've been developing a project in PHP5 for the XML features it supports. I've been developing on OSX's Apache server with an updated PHP install. The trouble I have now is that I can't find a web host to transfer it to. I'm with ASO at the moment but they say they have no plans to upgrade in the near future. I've done some searches and looked through some forums but haven't come up with a clear recommendation. Does anyone have one?

I know I can just set my Mac to run as a web server, and think I've managed to do just that. The trouble is, it's a laptop and hence won't be plugged in and on 24/7. There'll be a window of a few weeks when people could be trying to look at the site and I don't want it to be down, hence the search for a host. I'd be especially interested in one that I can use for a few months as I'm pretty happy with ASO in the normal run of things and don't want to spend a fortune. It's just for this one project. Like an idiot, I just assumed PHP5 would be available pretty easily on ASO as they've been so good before.

I'd be grateful for any thoughts.

itsumo

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
Most web hosts are waiting for all the admin packages (Fantastico, CPanel, etc...) to be stable on PHP 5. There were a bunch that google found, although I can't vouch for one of them. I guess its your punishment for adopting the technology so fast ;)

With that said, you could look into leasing a managed server. While it might be costly - you usually have full control over the software installed. Just a thought.

Good luck to you.

PS. you do realize PHP 4 has some XML support too, its just not built in (i.e requires recompile). I would be surprised if ASO doesn't already have it.

ChicoWeb

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2004
California
I have a server with php5 on it, cpanel, fantastico, etc.

PM or email me if interested.

jsierra /at/ chicowebdesign.com

itsumo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2004
UK
Thanks very much for the replies. I've been pretty lucky in that one of the hosts recommended elsewhere has just offered me PHP5 support, so I"ve signed up for that.

Yes, ASO installed the PHP4 XML support for me earlier. They really are excellent, and I'm intending to stick with them in the long term. If I had the time, I'd recode for PHP 4, but I don't. Oh well. Cheers!

itsumo

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.