Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ccrunner_tj

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2010
West Lafayette, IN
I live far out in the country away from a town on a back road. It makes for nice scenery and a lot of space, but in terms of internet connectivity it totally sucks. Currently we have WildBlue satellite internet - better than dial-up, but so far away from being really good (considering I'd like to game and have more than a 7.5 GB limit every month!) Whenever I want to download large files like games or big apps from the app store I have to pack up our iMac and take it somewhere where good internet is available.

I've been looking very hard for other options for internet. Cable and DSL are out because the wires are nowhere near reaching here. I contacted a regional WISP that covers our area, and they came and tested our house. The signal was being interfered with by some trees around our home, so they couldn't set their system up.

So my question is this: Are there any other options for our situation? We would LOVE to have a connection with no monthly limit and a lower latency. Any suggestions will be considered! Thanks in advance for your time.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
One of my friends illegally extended the broadband cable down the road to his house ;) Its possible if the cable isn't too far away and you know what your doing...

BTW the good thing about living in a small, central town is that the country is literally a street away (from my house anyway) but you get all the benefits of living in a town such as nearby shops, high speed DSL etc... We're also getting fibre optic cables soon, I can't wait :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.