Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

parrothead

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 24, 2003
Edmonds, WA
Apple Releases new iPod software

I found on VersionTracker this morning that Apple has released updated iPod software. I did a quick look over of the news and 1st page rumors sections and didn't see it, so I thought I would post it here.

From VT: iPod Updater 2005-02-22 includes new iPod mini Software 1.3 for iPod mini, new iPod Software 2.3 for iPod with dock connector, new iPod shuffle Software 1.1 for iPod shuffle, and new iPod Software 1.5 for iPod with touch wheel or scroll wheel. iPod Updater 2005-02-22 contains the same software versions as iPod Updater 2005-01-11 for all other iPod models.

I am super excited, as I have a 3G iPod and now I can access the shuffle option from the front menu, just like the newer iPods.

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
Awesome, thanks for the info, I would have missed it. Downloading and installing it now.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
This is a pleasant surprise since i looked for it already today and didn't see anything.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
The details:
iPod software update 2005-02-22 delivers the following software:

iPod shuffle software 1.1 (for iPod shuffle)
Support for iPod shuffle Battery Pack
Increased software stability

iPod mini software 1.3 (for iPod mini)
Support for second-generation iPod mini
Support for charging and syncing over USB with Mac OS X v10.2.8 or 10.3.4 or later

iPod software 2.3 (for 3rd Generation iPod with dock connector)
Shuffle Songs selection in Main Menu
Music menu item in Main Menu
Support for iTunes 4.7 and later

iPod software 1.5 (for Touch Wheel and Scroll Wheel iPod)
Shuffle Songs selection in Main Menu
Music menu item in Main Menu
Support for iTunes 4.7 and later

iPod software update 2005-02-22 contains the same software versions as iPod software update 2005-01-11 for all other iPod models.

adamberti

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2003
This seems to be a change of ways for Apple - Updating software on the older iPods... Although it is only a change in the menu interface, I still greatly appreciate it. thanks Apple!

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2004
YES MY 3RD GEN HAS THE FUNCTIONS OF THE 4TH GEN YES YES YES!!!!! shuffle on the main menu!!!! :D :D

EVEN THE FIRST MODLES FROM 4 YEARS AGO GET THE UPDATES!!! WOOT! apple really cares about there customers ;)

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
1.3 for the mini... hmmm... am I at 1.2...?

Edit: Yes, was at 1.2... maybe this will bring better battery life to my aging mini (one year old in a few days)... :D

adamberti

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2003
Blackheart said:
Does anyone else have a 3G where the Shuffle on the main menu actually showed up?

Just installing mine now... but check the settings maybe? You probably have to turn it on to show up in the main menu.

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
Blackheart said:
Does anyone else have a 3G where the Shuffle on the main menu actually showed up?

It's disabled by default. You have to go into menu settings and turn it on.

Now, can somebody tell me how it actually works? I expected it to be a toggle: "shuffle", "don't suffle", but when I press it the iPod just starts playing something.

Is this something the last playlist I had selected? Is it the entire library? I'm not quite certain how this works!

Also, has anybody else noticed the "Import Photos" menu item that's been added? I can't get it to do anything right now. Inquiring minds want to know...

Blackheart

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2004
Seattle
adamberti said:
Just installing mine now... but check the settings maybe? You probably have to turn it on to show up in the main menu.

Yup, thanks! It's a setting. To turn it on, go to:

Settings -> Main Menu -> Shuffle Songs

and switch to On

agentkow

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
Someone on iPodlounge said that not only did it add "Shuffle" and "Music" on the main menu to the 3G iPods, but multiple On-The-Go Playlists?

Can anyone verify, was the guy crazy, and how do you even do that with the new iPods anyway?

adamberti

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2003
stcanard said:

Now, can somebody tell me how it actually works? I expected it to be a toggle: "shuffle", "don't suffle", but when I press it the iPod just starts playing something.

Is this something the last playlist I had selected? Is it the entire library? I'm not quite certain how this works!

Also, has anybody else noticed the "Import Photos" menu item that's been added? I can't get it to do anything right now. Inquiring minds want to know...

Yeah it shuffles your whole library and starts playing. It does not just turn shuffle on or off. Still have to do that in the setting menu.

As for that photo import feature, I saw that too. Maybe Apple's new photo connector will work for all iPods? Or it was accidently left in this version of the software after they copied some code from a photo ipod maybe?

Anyone with an original iPod use the update and get that import photo setting?

Blackheart

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2004
Seattle
stcanard said:

I think it shuffles songs out of your entire library. To change the iPod to play randomly out of playlists or albums that you play from, there is another setting.

Hmmm... "Photo Import"... I wonder if non-photo iPods will be able to use the new device :confused:

In regards to "Voice Memos", does anyone with a 3rd party voice recorder know if that's what it's for?

adamberti

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2003
agentkow said:
Someone on iPodlounge said that not only did it add "Shuffle" and "Music" on the main menu to the 3G iPods, but multiple On-The-Go Playlists?

Can anyone verify, was the guy crazy, and how do you even do that with the new iPods anyway?

YES!!! You can now save playlists on the 3G iPod!! Make a playlist and then at the very bottom of the list you can save it or clear it! :D

Blackheart

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2004
Seattle
aswitcher said:
I did the update but then my wifes iPod was unaccessable from iTunes. No drag and drop etc. What gives? Do I need to reboot?

Check the iPod setting within iTunes while the iPod is connected. Maybe it defaulted to syncing instead of manual management of music.

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
Hopefully this will solve the problems with the iPod Shuffle when being used between Windows and OSX. Updates don’t mean much to me as long as they provide greater stability and/or increase function.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.