PDA

View Full Version : iPod Updater 2005-02-22 Now Available on Software Update

parrothead
Feb 23, 2005, 01:42 PM
I found on VersionTracker this morning that Apple has released updated iPod software. I did a quick look over of the news and 1st page rumors sections and didn't see it, so I thought I would post it here.

From VT: iPod Updater 2005-02-22 includes new iPod mini Software 1.3 for iPod mini, new iPod Software 2.3 for iPod with dock connector, new iPod shuffle Software 1.1 for iPod shuffle, and new iPod Software 1.5 for iPod with touch wheel or scroll wheel. iPod Updater 2005-02-22 contains the same software versions as iPod Updater 2005-01-11 for all other iPod models.

I am super excited, as I have a 3G iPod and now I can access the shuffle option from the front menu, just like the newer iPods.

Ja Di ksw
Feb 23, 2005, 01:56 PM
Awesome, thanks for the info, I would have missed it. Downloading and installing it now.

MacNut
Feb 23, 2005, 02:00 PM
This is a pleasant surprise since i looked for it already today and didn't see anything.

clayj
Feb 23, 2005, 02:31 PM
The details:iPod software update 2005-02-22 delivers the following software:

iPod shuffle software 1.1 (for iPod shuffle)
Support for iPod shuffle Battery Pack
Increased software stability

iPod mini software 1.3 (for iPod mini)
Support for second-generation iPod mini
Support for charging and syncing over USB with Mac OS X v10.2.8 or 10.3.4 or later

iPod software 2.3 (for 3rd Generation iPod with dock connector)
Shuffle Songs selection in Main Menu
Music menu item in Main Menu
Support for iTunes 4.7 and later

iPod software 1.5 (for Touch Wheel and Scroll Wheel iPod)
Shuffle Songs selection in Main Menu
Music menu item in Main Menu
Support for iTunes 4.7 and later

iPod software update 2005-02-22 contains the same software versions as iPod software update 2005-01-11 for all other iPod models.

Blackheart
Feb 23, 2005, 02:41 PM
Yay for shuffle on my 3G! My 4G toting friend always made fun of me :( .

Mudbug
Feb 23, 2005, 02:41 PM
what other models are there?

(happy to get shuffle on my 3g) :)

ASP272
Feb 23, 2005, 02:43 PM
No update for my 4g model? That sucks! Oh well.

Blackheart
Feb 23, 2005, 02:44 PM
what other models are there?

(happy to get shuffle on my 3g) :)

Photo?

adamberti
Feb 23, 2005, 02:45 PM
This seems to be a change of ways for Apple - Updating software on the older iPods... Although it is only a change in the menu interface, I still greatly appreciate it. thanks Apple!

CubaTBird
Feb 23, 2005, 02:45 PM
YES MY 3RD GEN HAS THE FUNCTIONS OF THE 4TH GEN YES YES YES!!!!! shuffle on the main menu!!!! :D :D

EVEN THE FIRST MODLES FROM 4 YEARS AGO GET THE UPDATES!!! WOOT! apple really cares about there customers ;)

DPazdanISU
Feb 23, 2005, 02:46 PM
great move, i like the 18hrs of batter life, that seems to be the biggest complaint by most people

Mitthrawnuruodo
1.3 for the mini... hmmm... am I at 1.2...?

Edit: Yes, was at 1.2... maybe this will bring better battery life to my aging mini (one year old in a few days)... :D

Blackheart
Does anyone else have a 3G where the Shuffle on the main menu actually showed up?

cazlar
Feb 23, 2005, 02:50 PM
Woohoo, my 2G iPod gets an update! Even if it isn't anything major, at least it's something!

adamberti
Feb 23, 2005, 02:53 PM
Does anyone else have a 3G where the Shuffle on the main menu actually showed up?

Just installing mine now... but check the settings maybe? You probably have to turn it on to show up in the main menu.

stcanard
Feb 23, 2005, 03:00 PM

It's disabled by default. You have to go into menu settings and turn it on.

Now, can somebody tell me how it actually works? I expected it to be a toggle: "shuffle", "don't suffle", but when I press it the iPod just starts playing something.

Is this something the last playlist I had selected? Is it the entire library? I'm not quite certain how this works!

Also, has anybody else noticed the "Import Photos" menu item that's been added? I can't get it to do anything right now. Inquiring minds want to know...

Blackheart
Feb 23, 2005, 03:00 PM
Just installing mine now... but check the settings maybe? You probably have to turn it on to show up in the main menu.

Yup, thanks! It's a setting. To turn it on, go to:

Settings -> Main Menu -> Shuffle Songs

and switch to On

agentkow
Feb 23, 2005, 03:02 PM
Someone on iPodlounge said that not only did it add "Shuffle" and "Music" on the main menu to the 3G iPods, but multiple On-The-Go Playlists?

Can anyone verify, was the guy crazy, and how do you even do that with the new iPods anyway?

Bibulous
Feb 23, 2005, 03:04 PM
Still looking for ical to do list support on 2G, oh well

adamberti
Feb 23, 2005, 03:05 PM

Now, can somebody tell me how it actually works? I expected it to be a toggle: "shuffle", "don't suffle", but when I press it the iPod just starts playing something.

Is this something the last playlist I had selected? Is it the entire library? I'm not quite certain how this works!

Also, has anybody else noticed the "Import Photos" menu item that's been added? I can't get it to do anything right now. Inquiring minds want to know...

Yeah it shuffles your whole library and starts playing. It does not just turn shuffle on or off. Still have to do that in the setting menu.

As for that photo import feature, I saw that too. Maybe Apple's new photo connector will work for all iPods? Or it was accidently left in this version of the software after they copied some code from a photo ipod maybe?

Anyone with an original iPod use the update and get that import photo setting?

Blackheart
Feb 23, 2005, 03:06 PM

I think it shuffles songs out of your entire library. To change the iPod to play randomly out of playlists or albums that you play from, there is another setting.

Hmmm... "Photo Import"... I wonder if non-photo iPods will be able to use the new device (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2005/02/20050223101743.shtml) :confused:

In regards to "Voice Memos", does anyone with a 3rd party voice recorder know if that's what it's for?

aswitcher
Feb 23, 2005, 03:06 PM
I did the update but then my wifes iPod was unaccessable from iTunes. No drag and drop etc. What gives? Do I need to reboot?

adamberti
Feb 23, 2005, 03:07 PM
Someone on iPodlounge said that not only did it add "Shuffle" and "Music" on the main menu to the 3G iPods, but multiple On-The-Go Playlists?

Can anyone verify, was the guy crazy, and how do you even do that with the new iPods anyway?

YES!!! You can now save playlists on the 3G iPod!! Make a playlist and then at the very bottom of the list you can save it or clear it! :D

Blackheart
Feb 23, 2005, 03:10 PM
I did the update but then my wifes iPod was unaccessable from iTunes. No drag and drop etc. What gives? Do I need to reboot?

Check the iPod setting within iTunes while the iPod is connected. Maybe it defaulted to syncing instead of manual management of music.

Eniregnat
Hopefully this will solve the problems (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=109645 ) with the iPod Shuffle when being used between Windows and OSX. Updates donít mean much to me as long as they provide greater stability and/or increase function.

Mitthrawnuruodo
I just 'ejected' the freshly updated iPod from the Finder, restarted iTunes and there it reappeared in iTunes... :)

Bibulous
Feb 23, 2005, 03:12 PM
Yeah it shuffles your whole library and starts playing. It does not just turn shuffle on or off. Still have to do that in the setting menu.

As for that photo import feature, I saw that too. Maybe Apple's new photo connector will work for all iPods? Or it was accidently left in this version of the software after they copied some code from a photo ipod maybe?

Anyone with an original iPod use the update and get that import photo setting?

No photo import feature on my 10gb 2G, bet it will use the dock connection :(

CubaTBird
Feb 23, 2005, 03:13 PM
everyones 3rd gen, is now basically a 4th gen software wise... nice...

aswitcher
Feb 23, 2005, 03:14 PM
I just 'ejected' the freshly updated iPod from the Finder, restarted iTunes and there it reappeared in iTunes... :)

Thanks. When I get home I'll give this a whirl...

Daveway
Feb 23, 2005, 03:15 PM
Well it's about time the 3G gets shuffle. Maybe this will give me a better price when I ebay it for a new mini.

markoibook
Feb 23, 2005, 03:18 PM
Woot Woot - shuffle mode on the main menu for my 26 10gb iPod - thank you! Just have to wait before i can install it!

CubaTBird
Feb 23, 2005, 03:19 PM
y do ya'll think apple did this? give back to the "community"? is there a reason for updating older ipods... kinda makes me wonder... :rolleyes:

Daveway
Feb 23, 2005, 03:20 PM
Do any of you 3G owners notice that the last few updates take down the contrast a lot after the update?
It seems as if this update has solved that problem.

There's also some new graphics on the 3Gs.

Blackheart
Feb 23, 2005, 03:22 PM
y do ya'll think apple did this? give back to the "community"? is there a reason for updating older ipods... kinda makes me wonder... :rolleyes:

Maybe they feel there's now enough of a feature gap between the older generations and the new ones, that they can include this software update and not discourage people from upgrading to new ones.

virividox
Feb 23, 2005, 03:26 PM
woo hoo shuffly on the 3g, just need to upgrade battery and good to go

stcanard
Feb 23, 2005, 03:30 PM
Do any of you 3G owners notice that the last few updates take down the contrast a lot after the update?
It seems as if this update has solved that problem.

There's also some new graphics on the 3Gs.

That explains why the display looks so much better!

I'm ashamed to admit I hadn't actually noticed, although I had noticed in the car lately I was having more trouble seeing it. After today's update I could have sworn the screen looked better. That explains it.

Linksgolfer84
Feb 23, 2005, 03:31 PM

By updating the older iPods, Apple will have a *much* larger consumer base for its new photo-import device. :)

sjpetry
Feb 23, 2005, 03:48 PM
My iPod won't update! When the menu comes up to update it won't let me. :(

It is a 3G 10GB iPod

I am running 10.3.8.

Please help.

cazlar
Feb 23, 2005, 03:53 PM
I just put v1.5 on my 2G 10Gb iPod, and as well as the "Music" and "Shuffle songs" menu items, it seems to have added the ability to customize the main menu, and added an "Audiobook" item to the Music list which seems to pick up all my podcasts (which I convert to bookmarkable AAC).

Yay!

CubaTBird
Feb 23, 2005, 04:14 PM
some users here are reporting they see a photo import area on there ipod? i have a 3g and don't seem to see it.. i am running the 2.3 update...

russed
Feb 23, 2005, 04:18 PM
i'm so pleased with this update. it is cool to finally have the shuffle songs thingy!!!

however, its not good that my 3G is looking like it is packing it in today :(

the battery ran out from full in 10 mins today
and hold just magically stopped working and now it is all 'floppy' - any ideas?

CubaTBird
Feb 23, 2005, 04:23 PM
hmm i noticed a slight change in sound quality on certain songs.. maybe its just me... not bad though... hmm

praetorian909
Feb 23, 2005, 04:23 PM
FYI, I noticed after I updated my iPod Shuffle, it now pauses when the headphones are disconnected (like the 4G iPod).

russed
Feb 23, 2005, 04:24 PM
is it just me or do the menus feel 'snappier'!!!

no honestly, the transition from one to the next is so much quicker

CubaTBird
Feb 23, 2005, 04:29 PM
yes they do feel snapier.. i did a restore though lol.. its weird cuz it told me to disconnect it and plug it into the wall in order to to a "software rehash" or something... weird.. ne my 3g works GREAT. again though the eq's don't seem as powerful.. or maybe its just me. :cool:

Xenious
Feb 23, 2005, 04:31 PM
In case this wasn't noticed... With the new iPod Shuffle firmware it shows up as an ipod shuffle picture on the desktop when it is mounted (before it showed up as a generic mounted drive). It's trivial but it makes me happy. Mmmmm eye candy.

russed
Feb 23, 2005, 04:32 PM
yes they do feel snapier.. i did a restore though lol.. its weird cuz it told me to disconnect it and plug it into the wall in order to to a "software rehash" or something... weird.. ne my 3g works GREAT. again though the eq's don't seem as powerful.. or maybe its just me. :cool:

i do beleive they have impreved the sound quality, particuarly in eq's. before, on the rock setting the lowest bass would start to pop my shure ec2's (which isnt right as they have a very big range). anyway they dont now. also i think going from one track to the next is quicker. all in all a good update!!!

praetorian909
Feb 23, 2005, 04:33 PM
Not to get your hopes up, but I don't think that this update will increase the battery life of the old iPod mini's. I think only the minis released today have longer battery life because of a redesign, just like when the regular 4G iPod came out with better battery life than the 3G....

1.3 for the mini... hmmm... am I at 1.2...?

Edit: Yes, was at 1.2... maybe this will bring better battery life to my aging mini (one year old in a few days)... :D

Blackheart
Feb 23, 2005, 04:34 PM

It is a 3G 10GB iPod

I am running 10.3.8.

Please help.

Was that iPod originally formatted with Windows? I ask because I notice the the name of the iPod in the screenshot is in all CAPS. If it was, that might have something to do with it; i'm not sure.

Blackheart
Feb 23, 2005, 04:35 PM
is it just me or do the menus feel 'snappier'!!!

no honestly, the transition from one to the next is so much quicker

Yeah! It does feel faster! I think it made Safari load images faster too! :rolleyes:

kiwi-in-uk
Feb 23, 2005, 04:36 PM
OK. So I can see the photo import option on my 3G iPod, but not on the iPod preferences in iTunes (4.7.1). Am I missing something?

coolfactor
Feb 23, 2005, 04:36 PM

Plugging it into the wall power adapter is a required step anytime you update the iPod software. I think it's because the process can NOT be interrupted, so that's the best way to ensure it won't be.

Dagless
Feb 23, 2005, 04:37 PM
wow talk about an iPod week! this update sounds brilliant. just what i wanted in a 3G 'pod. pity im selling off my 3G and ordering my mini in a few days :D

coolfactor
Feb 23, 2005, 04:37 PM

My thought is to keep the management of the various iPod versions out there simpler. If they needed a separate update for each version, it would be a nightmare. They're not far off from that, but updating older system still reduces a bit of work.

Jigglelicious
Feb 23, 2005, 04:39 PM
Updated my Shuffle. Can't really tell what it did, but I'm hearing that it fixed the chirping issue that some people were having when switching between songs.

Actually, now that I listen closely, there seems to be a lot of hiss coming from the speakers when I pause the shuffle. You can clearly hear the difference when you pause a song, listen, and then unplug the headphones. I don't know if it was like this before the update, but I certainly didn't notice it until now.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Feb 23, 2005, 04:39 PM

It is a 3G 10GB iPod

I am running 10.3.8.

Please help.
My mini did the same on the 1.2 updater (the last one), had to do a restore, then synced it, and everything was fine... unless you have anything exclusivly on the iPod (which cannot be sync'ed onto your Mac first), just restore it. It's just an extra 5-15 minute sync afterwards... ;)

clayj
Feb 23, 2005, 04:42 PM
Plugging it into the wall power adapter is a required step anytime you update the iPod software. I think it's because the process can NOT be interrupted, so that's the best way to ensure it won't be.That's not an option with the new iPod Photo released today... the power connection uses the USB port, so you can't plug it into both a computer and a power outlet simultaneously unless you buy some sort of dock. Given that that's optional, Apple will need to address that in future software updates.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Feb 23, 2005, 04:43 PM
Not to get your hopes up, but I don't think that this update will increase the battery life of the old iPod mini's. I think only the minis released today have longer battery life because of a redesign, just like when the regular 4G iPod came out with better battery life than the 3G....
Wasn't going for the full 18 hours... :) ...just that they've tweeked it a bit and maybe I'm able to reach 10 hours on a charge (I mesured my mini to 9 hours continuous playback some weeks ago - not to bad for a year old mini)... :D

primalman
Feb 23, 2005, 04:45 PM
some users here are reporting they see a photo import area on there ipod? i have a 3g and don't seem to see it.. i am running the 2.3 update...

I have not updated my 3G yet, but I already see the shuffle and photo import in the menu options! ANyone else see this too?????

:confused:

jbembe
Feb 23, 2005, 04:47 PM
Wow, groundbreaking update for OLD iPods, this is great news. I will DEFINITELY be using the multiple on the go's on my 40gig3gen00. There are some other features that would be nice on the first gen 10giger. It would also be nice to have photo integration for all iPods. :D

sjpetry
Feb 23, 2005, 04:49 PM
Was that iPod originally formatted with Windows? I ask because I notice the the name of the iPod in the screenshot is in all CAPS. If it was, that might have something to do with it; i'm not sure.
Yes it was originally formatted for Windows.

sjpetry
Feb 23, 2005, 04:52 PM
My mini did the same on the 1.2 updater (the last one), had to do a restore, then synced it, and everything was fine... unless you have anything exclusivly on the iPod (which cannot be sync'ed onto your Mac first), just restore it. It's just an extra 5-15 minute sync afterwards... ;)
Can I sync my songs off my iPod to my Mac. (i don't think I can) :mad:

Do I have to get an iPod ripper?

CubaTBird
Feb 23, 2005, 04:53 PM

yea ur gonna need to restore that puppy then.. don't worry though.. a restore will get u up to 2.3 software version.. don't forget to backup that music though! :p

Mitthrawnuruodo
Feb 23, 2005, 04:53 PM
Can I sync my songs off my iPod to my Mac. (i don't think I can) :mad:

Do I have to get an iPod ripper?
Yes, try searching at Versiontracker (http://www.versiontracker.com/macosx/)... if not someone, who's done this, will provide links directly to appropiate software... ;)

Le Big Mac
Feb 23, 2005, 04:56 PM
Well it's about time the 3G gets shuffle. Maybe this will give me a better price when I ebay it for a new mini.

Is this function any different than pressing play from teh main menu without an album/playlist/etc. selected, and it randomly picks from all songs on the ipod?

sockeatingdryer
Feb 23, 2005, 04:57 PM
Yea! I was hoping that my mini, which I got as a gift from the national 4-H club the week of Chrimma wouldn't be totally obsolete immediately like that. I have a special place in my heart for it, and I don't need all that 18-hours stuff... I have a 4th 40GB for long trips. This one's only for short outings. Yea again!

MOFS
Feb 23, 2005, 05:09 PM
slightly confused - what does it mean by "now supports iTunes 4.7". What happenned before? Whats the difference now? :confused:

syclone
Feb 23, 2005, 05:12 PM
Photo Import shows up on my 10GB 3G. Hopefully the photo connecter will will work. Might have held off on getting a bigger card for my camera if I expected that.

CubaTBird
Feb 23, 2005, 05:15 PM
Photo Import shows up on my 10GB 3G. Hopefully the photo connecter will will work. Might have held off on getting a bigger card for my camera if I expected that.

where is it? lol, is it in the settings area?

aptenergy
Feb 23, 2005, 05:19 PM
So for 3G iPods like mine, I notice:

1) Overall contrast seems to be darker.
2) Shuffle Songs is now an option in the Main Menu. It just starts shuffling through all the songs in your library when activated.
3) You can save an On-The-Go playlist (when you're in the On-The-Go playlist, it's the last option, after "Clear Playlist." It gets saved as "New Playlist 1," etc. When you sync your iPod with iTunes, the "New Playlist 1" will be transformed to "On-The-Go 1" and so forth.
4) You can delete songs from the On-The-Go playlist (finally!). Move to the song you want to get rid of, and hold the select button. The song will flash and disappear.
5) Photo Import is enabled as an option in the Settings menu, but upon activating it and selecting it from the Main Menu, nothing comes up. There is no Photos tab for the iPod in iTunes' preferences.
6) When your iPod is connected to the computer but not registered in iTunes (i.e. manually ejected), the "Charging" window shows a battery bar that is solid instead of broken into four segments. I also noticed that as the iPod continued charging, the bar became broken up into more segments (i.e. it fills slower). I take this to mean that power is being trickled rather than charged at full speed.

Feel free to take this list and revise as necessary...

Blackheart
Feb 23, 2005, 05:20 PM
where is it? lol, is it in the settings area?

Yeah:

Settings -> Main Menu -> Photo Import

Cougarcat
Feb 23, 2005, 05:20 PM
Yay just updated my trust 'ol original iPod! Works great. Menu transitions feel snappier, and getting rid of the useless backlight option on the main menu and replacing it with the clock and shuffle is awesome!! :cool: I thought my iPod would stay at 1.4 forever...

destroyboredom
Feb 23, 2005, 05:28 PM
Has anyone else noticed on the Apple Store that the 40GB iPod is no longer an option? I guess it makes sense, just suprises me it went so quietly.

20GB clickwheel $300
30GB photo $350
60GB photo $450

dotdotdot
Feb 23, 2005, 05:32 PM
It appears every iPod is up to date with the "new" style.

I love it on my 3G!!!

It can make multiple On the Go playlists!

I made like 3 already!!

CubaTBird
Feb 23, 2005, 05:34 PM
w00T! iPod Libre!!! lol, gotta calm down... just an ipod.. ehhe

cb911
Feb 23, 2005, 05:55 PM
well, seems like this update hasn't crashed anyone's iPod or made it do anything nasty like blow up and lose all your music. guess it should be safe to update then. :p

about them dropping the 40GB model iPod... i'd say that's a good sign. means that the iPod Photo will be possibly becoming the 'main' model sometime in the future. ;)

Linksgolfer84
Feb 23, 2005, 05:59 PM
Has anyone else noticed a change in the sensitivity of the buttons on their 3G iPods since updating? I was just playing around with it, and the "touch-sensitive" buttons will trigger when my finger is still 1 or 2 mm away :eek: More like "clairvoyance-sensitive" buttons!

But really... its pretty annoying, especially considering how sensitive the 3G buttons are to begin with. I don't know how these buttons work (heat, pressure, whatever...) but for some reason mine are hypersensitive now, are yours?

Note: it is easiest to distinguish the buttons being triggered before touching them if you have the "click" on.

dbooster
Feb 23, 2005, 06:02 PM
I see on the 3G pods, "Browse" was renamed "Music", and an "audiobooks" option now shows up right under Music. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like we (with the 3G) gained the option of setting the speed of audiobooks (slow, medium, fast). Too bad.

Mindcrime
Feb 23, 2005, 06:03 PM
I had to go into the iPod Settings menu and do a reset of all the settings to get the main menu with the Shuffle feature to appear properly on my 3G. Before doing that, I had some weird hybrid menu. Now it's all good.

rdowns
Feb 23, 2005, 06:15 PM
Damn, there goes my iPod uptime record.

chameeeleon
Feb 23, 2005, 06:31 PM
YEAH UPDATE!
This ROCKS! I never thought Apple would continue to provide updates to the previous generations of iPods, although I knew all the 4G features were software-related, and were physically possible (since "Shuffle Songs" and saving multiple On the Gos was added in an iPod mini update a while ago), but here they went! My 3G was feeling abandoned after my shuffle arrived, and is now enjoying it's new attention.
Speaking of the shuffle, the "chirp" between songs (which bothered me quite a bit when I first got it") is indeed a lot quieter now, though still there. And pausing when the headphones get pulled out is great given the rugged nature of the player. I was reluctant to update my shuffle, but these surprises made it more than worth it.
What a day at Apple!

fpnc
Feb 23, 2005, 06:40 PM
I wonder whether Apple has updated the earlier iPods in order to add more DRM checks. Thus, in order to get the majority of users to update (to this new DRM) they've added a few features in a kind of "trojan horse" approach. Certainly, there is nothing wrong with that, but I wonder whether previously "hacked" DRM evasions are going to stop working after this update. Seems somewhat strange that Apple has gone all the way back to the original iPods with this update. Something that I believe they've never done before.

AdamZ
Feb 23, 2005, 07:18 PM
My first generation 5GB iPod finally has the updated interface! Go Apple, and thanks! Except for not including Firewire cables in the new iPods!

parrothead
Feb 23, 2005, 07:24 PM
My first generation 5GB iPod finally has the updated interface! Go Apple, and thanks! Except for not including Firewire cables in the new iPods!

Whoa, I was unaware that this update worked on 1G and 2G models. Did you actually update your old iPod and it worked? This would be even better than the new menus on my 3G!

fossyy
Feb 23, 2005, 07:25 PM
Photo import must be there for some reason :rolleyes:

Jimmni
Feb 23, 2005, 08:00 PM
I had totally given up hope on ever being able to organise the main menu on my 2G iPod. This update makes me feel like I have a whole new iPod! I love it!

sandau
Feb 23, 2005, 08:03 PM
ran the latest update from apple this evening, caused some serious problems. Installed the iPod update and the latest security update.

# After the update said it completed successfully, I opened iTunes. All my purchased music was gone in iTunes and all my music on my shuffle was missing. grrr.
# Disconnected the shuffle using iTunes.
# My external USB drive suddenly disconnected itself with a 'drive was not disconnected properly' pop up window. grrr.
# Plugged the shuffle back in, iTunes did not recognize it.
# Shuffle starts blinking blinking blinking amber.
# Rebooted.
# Opened iTunes, shuffle was in the list.
# Tried to autofill the shuffle and then my powerbook kernal panicked, had to reboot. First kernal panick I've ever had.

Ran the iPod updater 'restore' in the utilities folder.

Now it works. But my powerbook fan is running constantly.

what the heck did apple do to my shuffle and powerbook? This is horrible. Its a good thing I only had $10 in purchased music rather than hundreds but now what do i do?

oh, and everytime i disconnect the shuffle, my external USB drive gives the 'drive was not disconnected properly', so it is affecting everything on that hub.

I give Apple a negative 99 on this update. My powerbook is NOT the same. Its louder now, yuck. and now I get errors on iPod disconnect. This is garbage....not to mention my lost music.

bankshot
Feb 23, 2005, 08:06 PM
Am I the only one who's severely disappointed in the new shuffle feature?

2) Shuffle Songs is now an option in the Main Menu. It just starts shuffling through all the songs in your library when activated.

So this is no different than simply hitting Play at the main menu when configured to shuffle songs, right? Sounds like a big non-feature to me.

I've been bugging Apple for ages through their feedback pages to allow us to put the Shuffle settings in the main menu. Meaning, if I want to switch from shuffling songs to shuffling albums, I can make that selection in the main menu rather than having to go into the Settings menu. I switch frequently between these modes (sometimes I want to listen to albums in their entirety, other times I want to shuffle a particular playlist) and removing that extra step of going through the Settings menu would be very helpful. It doesn't sound like much, but when you're trying to concentrate on something else, it helps a lot.

So when I read the details of the update, I got kind of excited. I thought they finally implemented my request.

WRONG! :mad:

Instead they added a useless feature. Do most people really shuffle their entire library more often than anything else? And if so, wouldn't you already have the shuffle setting set to songs, and therefore hitting Play instead of scrolling to the Shuffle menu item would be easier anyway?

Don't you usually want to shuffle a particular playlist that you're in the mood for? That's certainly the case with me. My library's pretty diverse, and while shuffling the whole thing is fun once in a blue moon, usually it detracts from the listening experience of the moment. If I'm interpreting correctly, this new feature won't even allow you to do that. It sounds extremely inflexible, and pretty pointless to me.

Bleh to Apple for getting my hopes up. :p

Hoffer
Feb 23, 2005, 08:29 PM
I think the software update for my iPod shuffle may have broken the shuffle. I just got back from the gym. Half the times I pressed the 'skip to the next track' button, it would play a song that was just played within the last couple songs. I've had my shuffle for a couple weeks and it's never done that. Usually, if I skip a track, it doesn't go back to that one.

I'll have to do the reset thing and see if it does the same thing tomorrow.

mattevil
Feb 23, 2005, 08:36 PM
well shoot! I updated my ipod tonight and now it's unresponsive. Won't turn on, won't link to the computer,etc! it seems to be dead as a door nail!

Blackheart
Feb 23, 2005, 08:36 PM

Wow, lotta strong words there. Anywho, this isn't really a *new* feature. It's just been handed down from the 4G iPods. As for always having songs play randomly, it's my preference to play playlists/albums straight through, so the newly acquired shuffle feature is nice. :)

That should be a Mac Poll: shuffle? or in order?... or i suppose there should also be a "hunt" choice for those that absolutely MUST pick a specific song for a specific point in time.

parrothead
Feb 23, 2005, 08:45 PM
well shoot! I updated my ipod tonight and now it's unresponsive. Won't turn on, won't link to the computer,etc! it seems to be dead as a door nail!

what kind of iPod is it?

parrothead
Feb 23, 2005, 08:54 PM

So this is no different than simply hitting Play at the main menu when configured to shuffle songs, right? Sounds like a big non-feature to me.

I've been bugging Apple for ages through their feedback pages to allow us to put the Shuffle settings in the main menu. Meaning, if I want to switch from shuffling songs to shuffling albums, I can make that selection in the main menu rather than having to go into the Settings menu. I switch frequently between these modes (sometimes I want to listen to albums in their entirety, other times I want to shuffle a particular playlist) and removing that extra step of going through the Settings menu would be very helpful. It doesn't sound like much, but when you're trying to concentrate on something else, it helps a lot.

So when I read the details of the update, I got kind of excited. I thought they finally implemented my request.

WRONG! :mad:

Instead they added a useless feature. Do most people really shuffle their entire library more often than anything else? And if so, wouldn't you already have the shuffle setting set to songs, and therefore hitting Play instead of scrolling to the Shuffle menu item would be easier anyway?

Don't you usually want to shuffle a particular playlist that you're in the mood for? That's certainly the case with me. My library's pretty diverse, and while shuffling the whole thing is fun once in a blue moon, usually it detracts from the listening experience of the moment. If I'm interpreting correctly, this new feature won't even allow you to do that. It sounds extremely inflexible, and pretty pointless to me.

Bleh to Apple for getting my hopes up. :p

Well stick a hook in me and call me bait! You are right. I just tried it on my 30GB and what do you know! I totally thought it was an easy way to switch between shuffle and non-shuffle. This is super annoying. I switch between the two multiple times a day. Is this different from the 4G models shuffle feature in the main menu? I agree that the new feature is not as good as it seems. :mad:

~Shard~
Feb 23, 2005, 08:57 PM
What?! Do my eyes deceive me - an actual update for my "forgotten" 3G iPod?!? ;)

Thanks Apple! :cool:

mattevil
Feb 23, 2005, 08:59 PM
what kind of iPod is it?
3G 15gb model. weirdly enough an hour later after giving up and no response I hooked back up and it worked! go figure that one out!

adamberti
Feb 23, 2005, 09:01 PM

Mine did this too. Updated and then it was unmounted from the computer, and it turned off. Wouldnt come on, wouldnt mount, wouldnt do anything. So I rebooted it by holding down the play and menu buttons for 6 secondsor whatever (3G model). It then had a progress bar as if it was installing something, and then rebooted again. Now it works great! So I guess I'm just trying to say reboot it.

dotdotdot
Feb 23, 2005, 09:18 PM
BOOO!!!

I was very happy with the update to my 3G until this happened:

I was listening to a song and was adjusting the volume when it "froze." So, I moved the wheel a bit - and the contrast dropped down!!

I needed to look very carefully at the screen to find the words... I finally fixed the contrast, but has this happened to anyone? (It happened a 2nd time, but it then went back to normal)

~Shard~
Feb 23, 2005, 09:43 PM
Yikes - with some of these 3G problems maybe I won't update mine right away...

wtmcgee
Feb 23, 2005, 09:54 PM
Damn, there goes my iPod uptime record.

LOL!!! :D

bluebomberman
Feb 23, 2005, 10:24 PM
I think the Photo Import feature is for the Belkin Digital Camera Link or Belkin Media Reader accessory. I think all it does is allow you to dump photo files from the flash memory or camera onto your iPod, giving you more room for snapshots on your camera.

My guess is that, with the arrival of cheaper iPod Photo models and a more affordable photo importer designed specially for the iPod photo, that Photo Import on all the normal iPods really isn't all that useful.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. (It's not like I have actually tried this myself, so I couldn't tell you from firsthand experience.)

joeboy_45101
Feb 23, 2005, 10:49 PM
Well, I love the updates for all my iPod's. But, I still have one complaint my iPod Shuffle will not charge up on a sleeping computer. On my 3Gen. and 1Gen. you can plug the FireWire into a free port on a sleeping computer and it will charge it up. But trying that with my Shuffle doesn't work, it wakes the computer up, then puts it back to sleep and doesn't charge it.

dejo
Feb 23, 2005, 11:05 PM
Is this different from the 4G models shuffle feature in the main menu?

No, it's the same.

CubaTBird
Feb 23, 2005, 11:06 PM
Yikes - with some of these 3G problems maybe I won't update mine right away...

NO, update, its fine.. i actually restored fine.. its fine

williamsonrg
Feb 23, 2005, 11:14 PM
Yay for shuffle on my 3G! My 4G toting friend always made fun of me :( .

I wonder what made them decide to give us 3Gers that option now? I guess if we haven't upgraded yet, we're not going to anytime soon. (Although with the price drops today... I just dunno).

plinkoman
Feb 24, 2005, 12:08 AM
i think i'm going to wait on this update for awhile, i'm seeing a little too many issues other people are having to be comfortable messing with my perfectly functioning iPod. and besides, i'm used to playlists and browse on the main menu, and i may be in the minority on this one, but i hardly ever use shuffle.

aznsal612
Feb 24, 2005, 12:12 AM
Hmm I'm surprised to see all these problems because my update process went pretty smoothly. My 3g 15gig iPod didn't even need a reboot or restore or anything.

I think that despite there not being anything insanely new with this update, this is how the update should be, otherwise they'd be giving us another product. So battery life and whatnot will probably never be updated since they have lower priced iPods that are newer. But I must say, the interesting features makes me feel a bit of that lovin' feeling when I first got my iPod. It's like rediscovering it all over again...sort of. ;)

fpnc
Feb 24, 2005, 12:15 AM
I think the Photo Import feature is for the Belkin Digital Camera Link or Belkin Media Reader accessory.

I believe that you may be correct. The new Photo Import item on the previous generation iPods is probably just a placeholder for media reader type devices (like the Belkin Media Reader accessory). Now that Apple offers direct-from-camera transfers with the new iPod photo they may have decided to open up the interface on earlier generation iPods to allow more third-parties to offer photo-transfer type devices. I suspect, however, that Apple's new camera/photo transfer cable will work only with the iPod photo.

jeffmc425
Feb 24, 2005, 12:47 AM
In case this wasn't noticed... With the new iPod Shuffle firmware it shows up as an ipod shuffle picture on the desktop when it is mounted (before it showed up as a generic mounted drive). It's trivial but it makes me happy. Mmmmm eye candy.

But what is wierd is my 4th gen iPod (40Gb) now shows up with a generic disk drive icon.

deral
Feb 24, 2005, 01:34 AM
YEY! I was always jealous that newer iPods had the Music feature. Yey. Apple knows how to make us feel spesho.

loneAzdgari
Feb 24, 2005, 03:07 AM
Yup, the photo import feature is for the Belkin Card Reader thingy. There's been an option in the settings to display Photo Import on the main menu ever since version 2.2 anyway. They updated it for the Voice Recorder and the Card Reader.

My 15GB 3G is loads cooler now. Matches my friend's 4Gs and Minis. The contrast is still majorly low though and I don't know what people are talking about with the "new graphics".

russed
Feb 24, 2005, 04:45 AM
... I don't know what people are talking about with the "new graphics".

try charging it, that is the new one i have seen so far. it still doesnt give me the tick when i disconnect.

my hold button still doesnt work :(

and after a nights sleep im still annoyed with the lack of firewire cables and power adaptors, though when my dad goes to america in the next few weeks i may well be tempted to tell him to get me a 30gb photo ... mmm!

Tymmz
Feb 24, 2005, 05:22 AM
i have a 3g ipod, so i'm not used to the shuffle option in the main menu. when i use that option, does it play always all my songs in shuffle mode?

thx
-tymmz

kneedropper
Feb 24, 2005, 05:54 AM
Mine did this too. Updated and then it was unmounted from the computer, and it turned off. Wouldnt come on, wouldnt mount, wouldnt do anything. So I rebooted it by holding down the play and menu buttons for 6 secondsor whatever (3G model). It then had a progress bar as if it was installing something, and then rebooted again. Now it works great! So I guess I'm just trying to say reboot it.

Whoa! Just found your advice and it worked. Was getting worried when mine also totally died after the initial update...

dimboo
Feb 24, 2005, 07:45 AM
I have a "2nd gen" 10GB iPod. Does this update also adds "Playlists on the Go" to older iPods? I'm quiet happy with Browse and the way shuffle works now, thank you ...

jncrow
Feb 24, 2005, 08:04 AM
A new item I came accross. I have my podcasts go into a smart folder on my itunes, and have it set up so after it gets listened to it moves out of the playlist. With the old software I would play it on my ipod and when I synced itunes would see it was played and move it out of the playlist and then synce the new stuff. With the new software I actually see the playlist on the ipod deleting them also after they have been played. It is like the ipod is mimicing the smart playlist function. I wonder if this would be the same with the shuffle feature? I have playlists on my itunes that I have set for shuffle and others that are not. Would be cool if you go into a playlist and play it on the ipod then it would or would not shuffle the same as the itunes settings. I will have to test this theary when I get back home to synce and check the settings and compare them.

ASP272
Feb 24, 2005, 08:20 AM
After installing the updater it came back up in my Software Update as not installed, so that was annoying. But anyway, since I have a 4G iPod it didn't do anything for me. Bummer!

macaudiodj
Feb 24, 2005, 08:25 AM
My ipod now looks like a mounted disk image. What should I do?
It happened right after i did the update on my 4th gen 40Gb ipod.

ASP272
Feb 24, 2005, 08:31 AM

I thought everything was OK on mine after installing the updaters (without running them) but I got the same thing as you, a mounted disk image instead of my cool iPod icon. What gives? :confused:

m-dogg
Feb 24, 2005, 08:31 AM
Photo import must be there for some reason :rolleyes:

Photo Import is not new to 3rd Gen iPods...It's been on mine for a while and it is used when you have one of the Belkin photo transfer devices to copy pictures off a digital camera or memory card (depending on which Belkin device you have). You probably just never noticed it before...

Whoops - Looks like some other people have already responded to this...

macaudiodj
Feb 24, 2005, 08:37 AM
I thought everything was OK on mine after installing the updaters (without running them) but I got the same thing as you, a mounted disk image instead of my cool iPod icon. What gives? :confused:
I tryed everthing and now iTunes does not see it, WTF should i do.

Wash!!
Feb 24, 2005, 10:11 AM

It happen to one of my friend's ipod and we had to do a full restore the ipod and the icon came back....

good luck
;)

CubaTBird
Feb 24, 2005, 10:28 AM

have ur ipod pluged into ur comp, then launch the ipod software restore and it will auto give u a new icon, then quit it, just LAUNCH the restore program, don't do an update or restore

Ganymede
Feb 24, 2005, 10:39 AM
have ur ipod pluged into ur comp, then launch the ipod software restore and it will auto give u a new icon, then quit it, just LAUNCH the restore program, don't do an update or restore

This didn't work for me. I actually had to do a restore with the 2004-11-15 updater in order to get the icon back. Restoring with the new updater still left me without an icon. I also wasn't able to dig around in the contents of the update and apply the correct icon directly, much to my dismay. I guess it means no update for my 4G iPod, not that it needed one.

ASP272
Feb 24, 2005, 10:46 AM
I'm totally bummed out by this. I did a complete restore and it didn't replace my icon either. Oh well, I'm not going to bother with it again until there is an actual update. You don't really need to have a totally awesome, smooth rendered iPod icon on your desktop which displays your name to be happy with your iPod, right? sniff sniff :(

praetorian909
Feb 24, 2005, 11:45 AM
Maybe they feel there's now enough of a feature gap between the older generations and the new ones, that they can include this software update and not discourage people from upgrading to new ones.

I just realized that these updates probably breaks the ability to play songs from Real Harmony, since this is the first new update for older iPods. Guess Real did help us in getting an update, just like someone suspected and posted here a long time ago...

morespce54
Feb 24, 2005, 12:03 PM

...or you can try to update it from a windoze machine. I don't see why it would not update to 2.3 even on a windoze PC...

Anyway, they said it before and I say it again... don't forget to backup! ;)

morespce54
Feb 24, 2005, 12:05 PM
Is this function any different than pressing play from teh main menu without an album/playlist/etc. selected, and it randomly picks from all songs on the ipod?

...exactly... ;)

morespce54
Feb 24, 2005, 12:18 PM
Well stick a hook in me and call me bait! You are right. I just tried it on my 30GB and what do you know! I totally thought it was an easy way to switch between shuffle and non-shuffle. This is super annoying. I switch between the two multiple times a day. Is this different from the 4G models shuffle feature in the main menu? I agree that the new feature is not as good as it seems. :mad:

I knew this since I bought a 4G... ;)
Personally, I took the Suffle Option off from my main menu...

morespce54
Feb 24, 2005, 12:30 PM

...or copy/paste your icon to a folder BEFORE the update...

Mayby someone could email you an empty-folder-with-the-correct-icon-for-4G in StuffIt format, then you could copy/paste it on you Pod...

Lacero
Feb 24, 2005, 12:58 PM
Updated my 2G 20gb iPod to the latest 1.5 version. I get the new Shuffle command on the main menu. Also got audiobook listed. Does this mean my iPod now supports audiobooks? I guess I'll find out later. I also wonder if the firmware makes it possible to get longer battery life out of my iPod. These changes are good so keep up the good work Apple!

griz
Feb 24, 2005, 01:39 PM
I believe that you may be correct. The new Photo Import item on the previous generation iPods is probably just a placeholder for media reader type devices (like the Belkin Media Reader accessory). Now that Apple offers direct-from-camera transfers with the new iPod photo they may have decided to open up the interface on earlier generation iPods to allow more third-parties to offer photo-transfer type devices. I suspect, however, that Apple's new camera/photo transfer cable will work only with the iPod photo.

I have not seen mention of this, but if anyone else looked closely, they would see the Photo Import feature on the 3G ipods was available in 2.2 as well. This tells me that it has nothing to do with the new adapter from Apple.

CubaTBird
Feb 24, 2005, 02:57 PM
well looks like now the only diff between the 4g's and the 3g's is that the 4 g's can hear the clicker through their headphones and can also speed up audiobook playback :rolleyes:

jlambro
Feb 24, 2005, 03:12 PM
My thoughts on various posts:

I have a 2G 10GB. There is in fact a difference between the Shuffle Songs option (which is now new to my ipod) and the old way of shuffling by pressing play from the main menu. Selecting Shuffle Songs plays your entire ipod library at random, but if you were then to browse through and select an album to play, it would revert back to playing sequentially. For this scenario, the standard shuffle option under the settings menu must be set to off.

Second, the 2G ipods have supported audiobooks for quite some time, ever since itunes for windows, I think.

The one thing I wished had been included for 2G ipods is On-the-Go playlists.

CubaTBird
Feb 24, 2005, 03:19 PM
i noticed somethin else also, when u go to select ur eq and have say rock chosen, when u go back, the eq area shows a blank space.. before with 2.2 software version it should "eq - rock" now it just shows "eq".. interesting diff. :rolleyes:

bryantm3
Feb 24, 2005, 04:08 PM
i don't want to update my iPod, simply because i like the word 'Browse' rather than 'Music'.
do i have to update it to keep using it?

stcanard
Feb 24, 2005, 04:23 PM
well looks like now the only diff between the 4g's and the 3g's is that the 4 g's can hear the clicker through their headphones and can also speed up audiobook playback :rolleyes:

Completely true, assuming you ignore the completely different button layout and better battery life that the 4G's have :rolleyes:

rhpenguin
Feb 24, 2005, 04:28 PM

reset it.

liquidtrance123
Feb 24, 2005, 05:43 PM
ok here we go:

Just bought an ipod mini a few hours ago. I bring it home and hook it up to my ibook. Run the CD and it updates my ipod. I download the new 1.3 update and update my ipod again.

Everything seems fine until i connect my ipod mini and try and startup iTunes, everytime i startup itunes with my mini connected it crashes iTunes and wants to send a report to apple. Well I try and reinstall iTunes but now when i get to the option where i go to install itunes it tells me "Action - Disabled" and i cannot reinstall itunes.

So now I don't have itunes at all, and my ipod mini is sitting here doing nothing at all. :( :( :( someone help!!!!

Blackheart
Feb 24, 2005, 05:53 PM
So now I don't have itunes at all, and my ipod mini is sitting here doing nothing at all. :( :( :( someone help!!!!

Try repairing permissions (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=89736).

liquidtrance123
Feb 24, 2005, 05:57 PM
i tried this through an app called "mac sweeper" but i get the same thing "Action - disabled" when i try and install iTunes. Am i gonna have to blow away the HD and reinstall OSX? :(

liquidtrance123
Feb 24, 2005, 06:15 PM
Ok well i've done everything in that thread including zapping the pram and i still get "Action - Disabled" when i try and install iTunes. I'm blowing away OSX and reinstalling.

I remember now why i got rid of my first ipod. :( :mad:

Blackheart
Feb 24, 2005, 06:38 PM
Ok well i've done everything in that thread including zapping the pram and i still get "Action - Disabled" when i try and install iTunes. I'm blowing away OSX and reinstalling.

I remember now why i got rid of my first ipod. :( :mad:

Post a screenshot of this "Action-Disabled" that it's telling you (command-shift-3; or command-shift-4 for a specific area). I don't remember having seen this before.

Espnetboy3
Feb 24, 2005, 06:51 PM
Ok i have a 4g ipod 20 gig , because there are no updates do I or should i download this update anyway?

Mechcozmo
Feb 24, 2005, 06:55 PM
Ok i have a 4g ipod 20 gig , because there are no updates do I or should i download this update anyway?

Run Software Update. That should tell you if you need to run the update or not.

And I am so happy that there is at least 1 person at Apple still working on the original 1G/2G iPods :D:D:D! I can finally shuffle with ease!

No new games though...

theonenonlyjoey
Feb 24, 2005, 07:30 PM
i've actually had the photo import feature on my 3G before this update. weird.

plutnicki
Feb 24, 2005, 07:48 PM
My brother in law had a similar problem as you did with the 3G 10 Gig I gave him. I solved it by running the updater and using the restore function to clean out the iPod and update the firmware. We then sync'ed just fine to iTunes.

I hypothesize that the first time he used the iPod, he pulled the firewire plug without ejecting the iPod and that somehow corrupted the file system of the iPod (case in point, he couldn't see any music, but the iPod reported 3 Gigs missing from the size).

Worth a thought.

bankshot
Feb 24, 2005, 08:10 PM
i don't want to update my iPod, simply because i like the word 'Browse' rather than 'Music'.
do i have to update it to keep using it?

Yes. The iPod has a little satellite receiver in it, specifically for receiving transmissions from from the motherPod at Apple's headquarters. Shortly after every software update, the motherPod sends out a message instructing all iPods to cease functioning if they aren't running the latest software version. By my calculations, you only have about 12 hours left, so hurry! :eek:

:rolleyes:

liquidtrance123
Feb 24, 2005, 08:41 PM
Post a screenshot of this "Action-Disabled" that it's telling you (command-shift-3; or command-shift-4 for a specific area). I don't remember having seen this before.
I just blew it away and reloaded OSX everything is okie now. Thnx tho :)

plinkoman
Feb 24, 2005, 08:43 PM
Yes. The iPod has a little satellite receiver in it, specifically for receiving transmissions from from the motherPod at Apple's headquarters. Shortly after every software update, the motherPod sends out a message instructing all iPods to cease functioning if they aren't running the latest software version. By my calculations, you only have about 12 hours left, so hurry! :eek:

:rolleyes:

hey, that sounds like napster! :p

FightTheFuture
Feb 24, 2005, 09:44 PM
1G 5gig user here. this is the first time in 2.5 years of owning my iPod that i've felt that i have top of the line hardware. (bought @ $294 a few weeks before they released the 2G models). its a great feeling! interface structure is more like the new models. i didn't know what i was getting with this update, and there it was, the Music selector - the Shuffle songs option - SO COOL! i had never expected apple would update the iPod software this drastically. too bad i'm ditching it for a 6gig mini!

the only thing i could wish for is the way the new iPods will continue after you shut it off - i heard this happens with the iPods, but it definitely happens on my shuffle. oh! and solitaire too!

with this new update spanning all of the earlier gen iPods, i have a feeling apple may be changing up their interface in the next gen of iPods. maybe something with more eye candy.

one question though - i can now do a Sleep function and i've never seen this before. is it basically the same as holding down the play button to shut it off? i thought it would let me continue listening where i left off in a playlist but it doesn't seem to do that.

tonywalker23
Feb 25, 2005, 01:29 AM
i have about 3200 songs. when i shuffel from the main menu it shows it is playing x out of 2800 songs, a diff of about 500. i have about 500 church sermons from 15 min - 90 min a piece. does the shuffel automaticaly leave out long songs. where is the cut off point?
any one else notice this with really long files (sermons, audiobooks, concerts recordings)
tony walker
www.preachertony.com

praetorian909
Feb 25, 2005, 05:38 AM
1G 5gig user here. this is the first time in 2.5 years of owning my iPod that i've felt that i have top of the line hardware. (bought @ $294 a few weeks before they released the 2G models). its a great feeling! interface structure is more like the new models. i didn't know what i was getting with this update, and there it was, the Music selector - the Shuffle songs option - SO COOL! i had never expected apple would update the iPod software this drastically. too bad i'm ditching it for a 6gig mini!

the only thing i could wish for is the way the new iPods will continue after you shut it off - i heard this happens with the iPods, but it definitely happens on my shuffle. oh! and solitaire too!

with this new update spanning all of the earlier gen iPods, i have a feeling apple may be changing up their interface in the next gen of iPods. maybe something with more eye candy.

one question though - i can now do a Sleep function and i've never seen this before. is it basically the same as holding down the play button to shut it off? i thought it would let me continue listening where i left off in a playlist but it doesn't seem to do that.

With my 3G iPod, Sleep on the main menu does exactly the same thing as holding down the play button. You could go to the prefs to not show this, but I suppose it's there for ppl who don't how to turn off (believe me, I know someone who didn't). I used to use it since I was lazy to hold the play button for 2 seconds (also annoying with the 3G touch buttons). After sleeping, my iPod does remember where it left off in a playlist, so I'm not sure but maybe this is just something that only works in the later iPods? Strange tho, seems like this is something that could be done in software.

plinkoman
Feb 25, 2005, 05:23 PM
i'm kinda dissappointed with this update. before, when on the settings menu, it would show you what equalizer setting it was on, now it just says EQ and i can't find out without going into the next menu. it does the same with the alarm clock, i can't figure out what time my alarm is set for or what playlist it is set to from the alarm menu anymore, i have to go to where i change it to see what it is at.

this really bugs me because i use the alarm and the eq all the time. :(

why would they do that?

iSpud
Feb 25, 2005, 09:06 PM
THis has probably been discussed before but...

iPod's are in essence a microcomputer with a software OS that runs the thing.

I like that Apple is updating the entire iPod software line. I don't know if it is possible, but they should unify the OS and have one version number. Like iPod OS 4 or something. Hardware differences maybe won't allow this, however.

The iPod OS can then be updated as Mac OS X is. Like Mac OS X works across multiple hardware lines, so would this hypothetical iPod OS. Offering a new revenue stream for Apple as well if the OS gets really good features every time as well $19 for a new iPod OS?

Just some random thoughts.

theonenonlyjoey
Feb 25, 2005, 09:34 PM
iTunes won't start up on my Mac if my ipod is plugged in after this update.

markoibook
Feb 27, 2005, 11:06 AM
I have just updated my 2G 10GB iPod with the new software and its great!
Nice to have the Shuffle Songs on the main screen, and to be able to modify the main menu.
In addition, my iPod is now much more responsive - especially when working through the menus.
Will be interesting to see how this new update affects battery life tho.

rikers_mailbox
Feb 27, 2005, 01:41 PM
Well, I love the updates for all my iPod's. But, I still have one complaint my iPod Shuffle will not charge up on a sleeping computer. On my 3Gen. and 1Gen. you can plug the FireWire into a free port on a sleeping computer and it will charge it up. But trying that with my Shuffle doesn't work, it wakes the computer up, then puts it back to sleep and doesn't charge it.

I second this complaint. I'd like to be able to charge my shuffle with a closed powerbook. That'd be great.

Oh, and I also experienced the Shuffle's 'chirping' noise that others reported. I haven't had the time to run the updater. . . does it fix the problem? I've also had some other strangness with the Shuffle (volume resetting to maximum, weird behavior when switching between shuffle and playlist modes).

markayak
Apr 28, 2005, 12:24 PM
I second this complaint. I'd like to be able to charge my shuffle with a closed powerbook. That'd be great.

Oh, and I also experienced the Shuffle's 'chirping' noise that others reported. I haven't had the time to run the updater. . . does it fix the problem? I've also had some other strangness with the Shuffle (volume resetting to maximum, weird behavior when switching between shuffle and playlist modes).

I third this complaint. Maybe if I just unplug my Belkin 7-port powered hub from the PowerBook, it will charge the shuffle. Must test...