PDA

View Full Version : Rev. D 15" powerbook logic board problems

edere
Feb 23, 2005, 02:34 PM
got my brand new 15" pb BTO (upgraded to the superdrive) last thursday. absolutely loved the thing and especially the OS! i felt really good about making the switch from PC to mac. but then things went sour...monday night i closed the lid on the pb and reopened it later and it wouldn't start. eventually i got it to start and kernel panic popped up. i tried restarting the machine again, and all i got was a black screen and 3 beeps. from what i read, this is a memory problem. the more reading i've done has suggested a logic board problem that seemed to haunt previous revisions of pbs and ibooks. i called customer support and they're sending me a box to send it in. i just hope that when they fix it that they don't cause any more damages like i've read in other posts.

has anyone else had logic board problems with their new rev. D pb? and why hasn't apple fixed this problem yet?!?!?! and will my 90 day support window restart when i get my pb back?

thanks.

Converted2Truth
Feb 23, 2005, 03:22 PM
support does not restart. but they will cover their work for 90 days.

Get applecare dude. I know it's expensive, but with laptops and other highly integrated apple AIO's, it's kinda a nessesity. I've never used it in any of the macs i own... but i always buy it cause of threads like this.

therevolution
Feb 23, 2005, 03:24 PM
Mine works fine. I wouldn't assume that this is related to those old problems just because you happened to get a bad one. Logic boards do occasionally fail, as can just about every other component.

OldManJimbo
Feb 23, 2005, 03:27 PM
Check your warranty to see that the date of purchase coincides with the effective date of the contract. Apple has a nasty habit of dating the warranty from the time they sent it to the reseller (assuming you bought from a reseller).

I would frankly just ask for a brand new machine. Something this new should have zero defects and the fact that it does would make me worry about what's going to happen next.

Echo the advice on AppleCare - at less than $10/month it is a good deal for my peace of mind.