Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SisterRay

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 25, 2006
UK
I am on my second MacBook battery, the first was replaced in apple battery recall. Now this one is showing battery not charging intermittently.

I am on cycle count 80 and it is reporting normal health

I am in the UK can anyone recommend a reputable site which sells replacement batteries, so I don't have to pay Apple prices £100+

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I wouldn't trust a battery that didn't come from Apple. Too many have reported problems with 3rd party batteries. Before you consider replacing it, read the CHARGING and CALIBRATION sections of the following link. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

SisterRay

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 25, 2006
UK
Very interesting reading. I very rarely use the battery alone, so this might be the issue. I'll try to unplug and take battery to 50% and plug in again a few times , and see how it goes

Thanks for the info

Avro

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2008
Belgium
I am on my second MacBook battery, the first was replaced in apple battery recall. Now this one is showing battery not charging intermittently.

I am on cycle count 80 and it is reporting normal health

I am in the UK can anyone recommend a reputable site which sells replacement batteries, so I don't have to pay Apple prices £100+

I think we paid about £72 for ours at the Apple Store at the Trafford Centre. I definitely didn't pay £100+.

SisterRay

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 25, 2006
UK
Update: Battery now OK

The battery is now working normally. This is what I have done to achieve this

1. I took the charge down to 50% a number of times before recharging
2. I took the charge down to 0% as well. However the MacBook would switch off before reaching 0%, initially at about 18%. When this happened I would wait for an hour or two and turn the MacBook on again. It would start then again switch off after a while. I repeated this until it reached 0% and went into sleep mode.

BY repeating these steps, I no loner get the 'Not Charging" message, and I can take the charge down to 0% without it switching off early.

I think this proves using the power adaptor all the time, does the battery no favours.

I hope this helps other MacBook onwers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.