PDA

View Full Version : Mac OSX Lion on MBA 11'

BMWNEW
Mar 20, 2011, 11:51 AM
I am going to buy an 11 inch MBA 1.4 GHz with 4 GB of RAM. I have never had any Mac's.
I think that it is much more functional than an iPad (I do not need to show off or to play games on it, so an iPad 2 is not my variant)...
I am not going to use MBA as my primary machine (I've got very powerful 18 inch VAIO), but as a beautiful light portable laptop which will be able to help me in education. Then I am a traveller so I think it is a perfect laptop to take with (watching films in a plane, playing Plants vs Zombies for a while, saving and viewing new photographs...).

The thing is: I want a beauty of MAC OSX LION, so I am not sure if 1.4 GHz with 4 GB of RAM is able to run it smoothly.
Maybe is is better to pick up an MPA 13' Ultimate? It would be possible to play 3D games such as CoD: Black Ops, and I would not worry about Lion. But it is about 2100 USD in my country vs 1200 USD for 11 inch.
What would you recommend to me? To save up and go with very light 11 inch or to pay more and get a bit bigger, but more powerful 13' ULTIMATE?

Does anybody of you, guys, has an MBA 11 and a Lion on it? How is it going?
And do you think about 1.4 vs 1.6 GHz? Does is worth the upgrade?
And is 13' too big and heavy after 11'?

P.S.: sorry for newbie questions

tbobmccoy
Mar 20, 2011, 11:58 AM
I am going to buy an 11 inch MBA 1.4 GHz with 4 GB of RAM. I have never had any Mac's.
I think that it is much more functional than an iPad (I do not need to show off or to play games on it, so an iPad 2 is not my variant)...
I am not going to use MBA as my primary machine (I've got very powerful 18 inch VAIO), but as a beautiful light portable laptop which will be able to help me in education. Then I am a traveller so I think it is a perfect laptop to take with (watching films in a plane, playing Plants vs Zombies for a while, saving and viewing new photographs...).

The thing is: I want a beauty of MAC OSX LION, so I am not sure if 1.4 GHz with 4 GB of RAM is able to run it smoothly.
Maybe is is better to pick up an MPA 13' Ultimate? It would be possible to play 3D games such as CoD: Black Ops, and I would not worry about Lion. But it is about 2100 USD in my country vs 1200 USD for 11 inch.
What would you recommend to me? To save up and go with very light 11 inch or to pay more and get a bit bigger, but more powerful 13' ULTIMATE?

Apple will make it run smoothly. I've yet to see an Apple OS in the OS X era that didn't work well with tech that was produced in the same year that the OS was sold. For the older MacBook Airs, I would be more concerned, but since OS X Lion will be installed on the 11" once its released, I bet it'll be just fine.

Oh, also, remember Lion right now is in developer release, so the code isn't as tight as it will be. Take current benchmarks with a grain of salt.

As for the upgrade of 1.4 to 1.6, I've no direct experience, but I have heard that the difference is minimal and the 1.4 is often preferred because of the battery life savings it provides.

alust2013
Mar 20, 2011, 12:07 PM
The model you want is fine, especially if it's not your primary machine. I think Lion will be nearly as light as Snow Leopard, perhaps just a little bit more memory hungry, but the 4GB will take care of that.

BMWNEW
Mar 20, 2011, 12:13 PM
Oh, also, remember Lion right now is in developer release, so the code isn't as tight as it will be. Take current benchmarks with a grain of salt.

Thank you very much for operativeness!
I agree that today's Beta 1 is not the final product, so in summer it might be much more tight.
And what do you think about 13 inch? Does this power (2,13 GHz, 4GB, 256GB vs 1.4 GHz, 4GB, 64HB) worth the 1000 USD overpayment (as for SSD memory it does not bother me, because 64 - 128 is quite enought), the only thing I am worried about is perfomance (1.4 vs 2.13 is a big step though)... And portability (I don't want to pay more and stay with huge machine).
So does 13 inch worth it?

I have already played with both MAC's in a shop, but I am not sure about size...

PeterKG
Mar 20, 2011, 12:47 PM

Those who are testing Lion are under an NDA to not discuss.

Psilocybin
Mar 20, 2011, 04:01 PM
Those who are testing Lion are under an NDA to not discuss.

:confused::confused:

PeterKG
Mar 20, 2011, 04:18 PM
:confused::confused:

Whenever you are asked by Apple to participate in beta testing, or you purchase an Apple Developer license, you accept to abide to a non disclosure agreement. Many fail to do so, but many take agreements such as NDA's seriously.

Psilocybin
Mar 20, 2011, 04:35 PM
Oops haha. I guess I should start reading the agreements. When I signed up I didn't

aleni
Mar 20, 2011, 07:35 PM
i have 1.4ghz 11" air with 4gb. the mac os x lion developer preview is smooth as butter here.

BMWNEW
Mar 21, 2011, 04:43 AM
Many fail to do so, but many take agreements such as NDA's seriously.

Yes, it is so. Some take them seriously, but many may give details about Lion :D
The only thing I am interested in is: would it run smoothly as a butter and I've got the answer: yes :D

ovrkast
Mar 21, 2011, 12:51 PM
Thank you very much for operativeness!
I agree that today's Beta 1 is not the final product, so in summer it might be much more tight.
And what do you think about 13 inch? Does this power (2,13 GHz, 4GB, 256GB vs 1.4 GHz, 4GB, 64HB) worth the 1000 USD overpayment (as for SSD memory it does not bother me, because 64 - 128 is quite enought), the only thing I am worried about is perfomance (1.4 vs 2.13 is a big step though)... And portability (I don't want to pay more and stay with huge machine).
So does 13 inch worth it?

I have already played with both MAC's in a shop, but I am not sure about size...

I used to own the 11" MBA Ultimate, then switched to the new 2011 15" MBP with Hi-Res 2.0Ghz|8GB|256SSD, and now I've switched back to the MBA Ultimate with the 13". In comparison between the 11 vs 13 (the 15" MBP is in a league of it's own), you will not notice that much of a performance index unless your plans regard to processor intensive requirements such as video editing, heavy photo (light Photoshop and Lightroom is very sufficient), or 3D rendering. That's where the 2.13 will perform better than the 1.4, however, heavier tasks should be more for the MBP's.

The size of the 11 vs 13 is nominal at best, but you will find that even with the 13" it is very portable. You basically get some portability characteristics of the 11", and some extra power that would come from the MBP. It's a great median between the three models ;) Regardless, OSX Lion will run fluid on the MBA 13" Ultimate.

Hope that helps :)

old-wiz
Mar 21, 2011, 01:01 PM
Considering that you can't upgrade the MBA's RAM after purchase, the smart thing to do is buy with 4Gig. I think it's foolish to buy 2Gig.

ballgeoff
Mar 21, 2011, 11:27 PM
Considering that you can't upgrade the MBA's RAM after purchase, the smart thing to do is buy with 4Gig. I think it's foolish to buy 2Gig.

You do realize when a computer runs out of memory it reverts back to the hard drive (in this case the hard drive is a SSD or "flash memory") which in essence makes buying 2gb of ram seem not so foolish.

fatlardo
Mar 22, 2011, 12:12 AM
You do realize when a computer runs out of memory it reverts back to the hard drive (in this case the hard drive is a SSD or "flash memory") which in essence makes buying 2gb of ram seem not so foolish.

Really? This is my first time hearing this! If true, than this is great cuz I got only the 2gb model, but I wanted the 4gb. But I got such a good deal on the 2. Do you have anything that states that?

rhinosrcool
Mar 22, 2011, 02:08 AM

RAM is still faster than ssd.

EspressoLove
Mar 22, 2011, 02:38 AM

Really? This is my first time hearing this! If true, than this is great cuz I got only the 2gb model, but I wanted the 4gb. But I got such a good deal on the 2. Do you have anything that states that?

RAM is still faster than ssd.

PC3-8500 (DDR3-1066 SDRAM); Clock Speed: 133MHz, Data Rate: 1066MHz, Throughput 8.53GB/s

That's about 40-50 times better than the best rate SSD can offer under ideal conditions, and up to 1000 times under more ordinary ....

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/5162/screenshot20110322at123.png (http://img19.imageshack.us/i/screenshot20110322at123.png/)

So no, no SSD today, even those much faster ones can make up for the lack of RAM

EspressoLove
Mar 22, 2011, 02:52 AM

I'd say spring for Ultimate 11" (1.6/4GB/128GB)
I'd guess it would be easier to find it in Russia in absence of official Apple Stores.
This config is a "standard" one which is carried by regular brick-and-mortar Apple Stores in US.
And it's the only one in stores that has 4GB RAM.

In US you only can configure 1.4 with 4GB - online, BTO.

So, apart from logistics and what-not, down the road it would be easier to procure service when you'd need one - in Russia - without the need to send your BTO MBA back to States.

Battery-wise you'd get much more from CoolBook (http://coolbook.se/CoolBook.html) than from most negligible difference between 1.4 - 1.6.

And once you go Mac/Lion, you'd appreciate flexibility extra 64Gigs would afford you.

old-wiz
Mar 22, 2011, 09:50 AM

Humph. I spent 20 years working with OS internals on *NIX systems, and I'm totally aware that when you run out of memory you swap out to secondary storage. However, the secondary storage on the MBA is still way way slower than internal memory.

BMWNEW
Mar 22, 2011, 11:49 AM
The size of the 11 vs 13 is nominal at best, but you will find that even with the 13" it is very portable. You basically get some portability characteristics of the 11", and some extra power that would come from the MBP. It's a great median between the three models ;) Regardless, OSX Lion will run fluid on the MBA 13" Ultimate.

Hope that helps :)

Thank you very much :D
I am not sure what is better:
1) to get MBA 13' Ultimate (about 2100 USD in Russia)
2) to get MBA 11' (about 1200 for 1,4 / 4 / 64 OR 1700 for Ultimate) and then add and get MBP 15' (about 3 200 USD for 2.2 GHz)

Of course extra 2000 USD is a big problem for me, so would 13' Ultimate MPA be able to replace both (I am not going to play 3D games on it (PS3 or VAIO is just for that), only photo editing, watching films, simple gaming, surfing web, Office etc.,)?
I think that 2,13 and 4GB would take care of that, right?
And is it possible to use it as a main computer?

BornAgainMac
Mar 22, 2011, 12:19 PM
2) to get MBA 11'

I would lean for the MBA 11' with 1.4 standard with 4 GB and 128 GB disk as a main (non gaming) computer. And also a Cinema Display instead of a separate MBP. There is nothing like having a 27 inch at home at the end of a long day to use your Mac.

BMWNEW
Mar 22, 2011, 12:41 PM
I would lean for the MBA 11' with 1.4 standard with 4 GB and 128 GB disk as a main (non gaming) computer. And also a Cinema Display instead of a separate MBP. There is nothing like having a 27 inch at home at the end of a long day to use your Mac.

Brillian idea! Why have not I thought about that before? Maybe 13' Ultimate with ACD is better?

ovrkast
Mar 22, 2011, 12:41 PM
Thank you very much :D
I am not sure what is better:
1) to get MBA 13' Ultimate (about 2100 USD in Russia)
2) to get MBA 11' (about 1200 for 1,4 / 4 / 64 OR 1700 for Ultimate) and then add and get MBP 15' (about 3 200 USD for 2.2 GHz)

Of course extra 2000 USD is a big problem for me, so would 13' Ultimate MPA be able to replace both (I am not going to play 3D games on it (PS3 or VAIO is just for that), only photo editing, watching films, simple gaming, surfing web, Office etc.,)?
I think that 2,13 and 4GB would take care of that, right?

Like I said, the 13" MBA Ultimate would serve as a perfect median for what you're looking for. It will pretty much take anything you throw at it as mentioned in the OP. My 13" MBA Ultimate is my main and only computer. ;)

jdechko
Mar 22, 2011, 02:28 PM
If you don't have to have the extra storage space, you could always do a custom low end 13" and add 4GB RAM. The CPU is unlikely to be much of a bottleneck at any time during the life of the machine. And if you are already looking at the 11", then even more so.

EspressoLove
Mar 22, 2011, 02:40 PM
Brillian idea! Why have not I thought about that before? Maybe 13' Ultimate with ACD is better?

Like many here, I did "upgrade" from 15" MBP (HiRes@1680x1050, i7)
I was salivating for 11"MBA, but did go with 13" just because I thought it would be safer ....

I don't regret it :p 13"MBA is fantastic machine - even/especially for - being my only computer :cool:
Yet I think now - I would be just as cool if I had 11" + 20-27" display or good backup PC as you have.

P.S. I did have "resolution blues" (going from 1680 to 1440), I'm way past that now.
Now I almost start to think that 13"/1440 is probably too big for me :confused::rolleyes::D

As I've said I don't regret going 13"
But my Quad-Core Ivy Bridge Thunder-Bull MBA of 2012 will be 11":eek:

BMWNEW
Mar 24, 2011, 02:23 AM
As I've said I don't regret going 13"
But my Quad-Core Ivy Bridge Thunder-Bull MBA of 2012 will be 11":eek:

Any thoughts when new MBA will be announced?

P.S.: I decided to go with 11 inch with 4 GB. It is much more cheaper, portable, lighter etc...
Then I'll wait for ACD refresh (720p webcam, HDMI in and something special from apple should be there probably, because I thought to connect PS3 to that display, but now it will cost me about 300 $ for a connector - no thanks, and then it is already at the end of the cycle)...

EspressoLove
Mar 24, 2011, 03:37 AM
Any thoughts when new MBA will be announced?

P.S.: I decided to go with 11 inch with 4 GB. It is much more cheaper, portable, lighter etc...
Then I'll wait for ACD refresh (720p webcam, HDMI in and something special from apple should be there probably, because I thought to connect PS3 to that display, but now it will cost me about 300 $ for a connector - no thanks, and then it is already at the end of the cycle)...

There was some talk about MBAs being updated in June @ WWDC ...

Yet I think Apple will wait till IvyBridge fall-winter 2011/2012.
It doesn't make sense to introduce anything new without Thunderbolt now, yet the standalone chip in '11 MBPs is big enough to create a headache for MBA redesign.
Ivy (Panther Point) might have it built in.

BMWNEW
Mar 25, 2011, 06:56 AM
There was some talk about MBAs being updated in June @ WWDC ...

Yet I think Apple will wait till IvyBridge fall-winter 2011/2012.
It doesn't make sense to introduce anything new without Thunderbolt now, yet the standalone chip in '11 MBPs is big enough to create a headache for MBA redesign.
Ivy (Panther Point) might have it built in.

The thing is: I've got a bithday on 28th of June, so if the new MBA is going to be updated in June, I would get a NEW one on a Birthday :)
But if there is not anything to update in MPA now, what for should I wait?
I think it is much better to buy it NOW (and then, in 2012 I would get a great chance to sell it and get a new one). Maybe it is much better to USE IT, then always wait?

And don't you think that Apple may introduce new MPA in June with Sandy Bridge? I thought it is POSSIBLE to put them inside so slim device...

JMB1911
Mar 25, 2011, 01:15 PM
i have 1.4ghz 11" air with 4gb. the mac os x lion developer preview is smooth as butter here.

any guess on how it will run on the 2gb machine?

BMWNEW
Mar 29, 2011, 12:07 PM

I am interested in that too...:confused:

P.S.: I have not decided yet. So many rumors about refresh MPA's in June... My birthday is exactly on 28th of June, so maybe it is better to wait???
Oh, I've been offered a new 13' Ultimate MPA for only 2000$ (Russia, my friends :mad: - it is very chip here. F.e. a new basic 13' MBA costs about 1700$ here (but it is from Premium Reseller with russian keyboard))
:apple::apple::apple:

EspressoLove
Mar 29, 2011, 07:35 PM
I am interested in that too...:confused:

P.S.: I have not decided yet. So many rumors about refresh MPA's in June... My birthday is exactly on 28th of June, so maybe it is better to wait???
Oh, I've been offered a new 13' Ultimate MPA for only 2000$ (Russia, my friends :mad: - it is very chip here. F.e. a new basic 13' MBA costs about 1700$ here (but it is from Premium Reseller with russian keyboard))
:apple::apple::apple:

Yeah, I hated Apple for that - they made devices so close to perfect, that I wanted my timing be perfect with them too ....

... then I was bitten twice - learned to wait a bit to see if there were rev.A issues ...

... then I learned that they sometimes omit features that were there (FW in UMBC, KBBL in '10 MBA) ...

... then I realized - it's only me - who blocks myself from enjoying what's there right now!

hystery
Mar 29, 2011, 09:04 PM
I wouldn't think you'll be fine with 1.4GHz if you're going with it next 2 to 4 years. Core2Duo is the last legacy processor meets Lion's minimum requirement. If you have at least 2GHz you won't be in trouble most of times, but 1.4 will be painful IMO.
Additionally Lion will be a major upgrade after a long time (Snow Leopard was like maintained Leopard) that it not too much to be concervative. Apple is trying to integrade iOS and Mac OS, and Lion is the first ever OS consumers will see the result of that, it might affect in good way or maybe bad way.

poobear
Mar 30, 2011, 03:20 PM
That's what I have running Lion and it works great. Lion even uses less memory for me, e.g. Safari releases all ram when you close all open windows, you don't have to close the app.

EspressoLove
Mar 30, 2011, 08:01 PM
That's what I have running Lion and it works great. Lion even uses less memory for me, e.g. Safari releases all ram when you close all open windows, you don't have to close the app.

Snow Leopard itself is much worse in RAM management than 10.5 Leopard ever was.
Hope they fix it with Lion.

I covertly hope 8GB will become cheap enough soon to make BTO possible.
For now I just reboot every few days - with MBA it's not a huge nuisance :confused::D

BMWNEW
Apr 12, 2011, 12:47 PM
Alright, guys, I have just decided to buy 11" Ultimate... But now found SB topic...
I would be so depressed if MPA would have a refresh in June...

n1tut
Apr 12, 2011, 02:16 PM
Having a laugh as usual. The basic 11.6" does everything that the average user needs, and does it bloody fast.

By all means buy an Ultimate if the extra cost is no consideration, but just check if your usage needs the extra power.

tut

EspressoLove
Apr 14, 2011, 01:09 AM
Alright, guys, I have just decided to buy 11" Ultimate... But now found SB topic...
I would be so depressed if MPA would have a refresh in June...

Let's say we don't treat depressions here ...
:)

steveostevie
Jun 15, 2011, 06:27 PM
PC3-8500 (DDR3-1066 SDRAM); Clock Speed: 133MHz, Data Rate: 1066MHz, Throughput 8.53GB/s

That's about 40-50 times better than the best rate SSD can offer under ideal conditions, and up to 1000 times under more ordinary ....

Image (http://img19.imageshack.us/i/screenshot20110322at123.png/)

So no, no SSD today, even those much faster ones can make up for the lack of RAM

Although even then it's pointless to have the upgrade unless you use the extra memory reasonably often. Memory requirements will always go up but 2GB RAM will continue to get a fair bit done for the foreseeable future. I think people who genuinely have higher requirements tend to know that they do (for example, do you work at NASA / have you won an Oscar?).

Realistically, certainly at this point in time, most users should probably consider a 4GB upgrade, particularly on an ultraportable laptop, as peace-of-mind insurance for the future as opposed to a way to get much more performance out of it.

kapolani
Jun 15, 2011, 07:07 PM
Although even then it's pointless to have the upgrade unless you use the extra memory reasonably often. Memory requirements will always go up but 2GB RAM will continue to get a fair bit done for the foreseeable future. I think people who genuinely have higher requirements tend to know that they do (for example, do you work at NASA / have you won an Oscar?).

Realistically, certainly at this point in time, most users should probably consider a 4GB upgrade, particularly on an ultraportable laptop, as peace-of-mind insurance for the future as opposed to a way to get much more performance out of it.

More ram = more open apps.

Some people like to run many apps at once. I run Win7 to develop in while listening to my itunes and browsing the web etc.

I would always suggest get as much ram as affordable. In fact, I would recommend more ram than a better processor for the typical user.

BMWNEW
Jun 20, 2011, 02:50 AM
Thanks everybody!
I bought an Ultimate 11" MBA in Apple Store on Regent Street, London.
And I am extremely happy!

Ivangf2
Jul 1, 2011, 11:10 AM

I ve been looking throughout all the forum until I ran into your response. I have a MBA 13 late 2010 with 1.86 Ghz C2D, 128 GB and 2GB RAM.

The thing that i was worried is to run lion with this memory but it seems it ll run as smoothly as snow leopard.

I only use my mac for internet browsing, IM messaging, twitter, and sometimes I use iMovie and autocad and with snow leopard runs really fine.

Anastacio
Jul 1, 2011, 11:47 AM
Will it be unhealthy for the battery, if it is plugged into a power supply all the time, even when using it (at home) ?

Ivangf2
Jul 1, 2011, 02:45 PM
Will it be unhealthy for the battery, if it is plugged into a power supply all the time, even when using it (at home) ?

I guess so, what i do is to use my MBA without power supply the 5 or 6 hours that the battery holds energy and then plug it to recharge battery

DesmoPilot
Jul 1, 2011, 02:51 PM

Less writes to the SSD = longer life of SSD.