PDA

View Full Version : iMac G5 or PowerMac G5? *Mac mini?*

Apple!Freak
Feb 23, 2005, 03:19 PM
What would be the best choice? I would primarly be using this computer for Graphic Design.

iMac G5 20" 1.8 1GB RAM Superdrive ($2,223)

OR

PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0 1GB RAM Radeon 9800 XT SuperDrive W/ 20" Apple Cinema Display ($4,097)

Keep in mind the PowerMac being twice the price. The iMac is a lot more compact and would work better with my desk however will it have enough power the way it is configured here to run InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop flawlessly?

I would greatly perfer to spend the $2,000 less and safe some space to go with the iMac but would it work for my Graphic Design?

So what would you guys say?

For my employees I plan on purchasing a few Mac Mini's as they will be doing minor graphic design work as well as running basic applications such as Word. Will the Mac Mini's handle some minor design work with the configured standard $499 model?

Converted2Truth
Feb 23, 2005, 03:30 PM
I'd up the Ram on the mini to 512mb RAM if i was doing ANY kind of work. Any less results in obvious time wasting.

As for major design work.. the imac will do it, so will the mini, and the dual G5 sure as hell will do it faster than either of the two. The question is, how much horsepower do need? I've been under the impression that the powermacs were about to be revised. There's some rumors that the imac G5 is to be revised too. Weigh all your options and get the computer that will cost you less over the TCO (total cost of ownership), and provide you will pleasing performance.

While i payed alot of money for my dual (not as much as you will perhaps), i have never been dissapointed in performance. I compile large projects in netbeans and xcode. If GPU's are important to you, get the powermac, that way you can upgrade in the future.

Phatpat
Feb 23, 2005, 03:58 PM
I have a 17" 1.8ghz G5 iMac with 1gb of memory, and it works great. If space is an issue I would think about it.

That said, both the iMac and Powermac are Approaching the End of Cycle on the buyers guide, so I'd hold off if at all possible.

Mini's definitely need at least 512mb. If their going to be using photoshop I'd seriously consider a gig. I played around with a couple 1.42ghz minis with 256mb ram at the Old Orchard Apple Store. There interface just isn't snappy enough to be considered usable, much less graphic design programs.